Donation Drive Time again

SETI@home and SETI BETA - project now closed, maybe for good :-(
UBT - Simon

Donation Drive Time again

Post by UBT - Simon »

Received this email today. So if you can donate to this good cause I think I read on the boards that they are trying to get PayPal and such to help for the money to come in.  

SETI@home   Needs Your Help
Go to http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/donate.php for more information

Dear UBT - Simon,

SETI@home needs your help. The SETI@home team has accomplished much in the past 6 months. We have successfully depolyed the "enhanced" version of SETI@home. The new seven beam data recorder has been installed at Arecibo and is recording the data that will be analyzed in the next phase of SETI@home. Server components required for the analysis of this data are being beta tested. Changes to the SETI@home application to improve the analysis of this data will be released soon. With this new data recorder, we have the ability to look at seven places in the sky simultaneously while recording fourteen times as much data as before. This means we will need more volunteers like you to help us process this data. So please, tell a friend about SETI@home.

But there is still far more to be done. Although we are pleased with the success of our spring funding drive, and grateful for the generosity of our donors, we could not afford to do everything we had hoped. In spite of the progress we have made, we would like to be able to sift through the results returned by your computers in order to identify candidates more rapidly so we can re-observe them. This rapid response validation system would also give you the ability to see the results your computers have/has returned in more detail.

To keep SETI@home operating for the next year, and to provide these new capabilities, will require approximately $540,000. Currently SETI@home is entirely funded by donations from people like you.

We hope that you will consider making a donation to SETI@home at this time. You can make a secure donation by credit card by clicking this link. Instructions for donation by check or money order are there as well. Unless you specify otherwise, your donation will be noted by a star icon next to your username on the SETI@home pages and your username will appear on our list of donors. If you do not wish to have this recognition you may indicate that as well. Please be assured that regardless of whether or not you choose to have your donation be anonymous, SETI@home will not share your address with other organizations.

You can check on our fundraising progress by visiting our main site at http://setiathome.berkeley.edu.

Thank You,

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Author and Futurist   and     Dan Werthimer
Chief Scientist, SETI@home
Gamma^Ray
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by Gamma^Ray »

Just make sure you use the correct BOINC email address if donating.
As I used my main email (Original Seti I believe) address, when I donated last year,
And have no little green star to show for it. :(
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

Yeah I did the same thing, though I'm certain i used the right email (How hard can it be when you use the same email for everything) but they are not exactly very good at finding info or answering questions.
Gamma^Ray
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by Gamma^Ray »

UBT - Simon wrote:but they are not exactly very good at finding info or answering questions.
Yea, Thats true. I sent them an email many months ago asking if they could fix it for me (Giving them all the info they would need), And am still waiting for the reply or fix.  :lol:
UBT - Janea

Post by UBT - Janea »

I made a donation a few years ago but don't think thye had green stars back then.  However when I tried to donate again today I can't get through to the website.  (Tried on Firefox and IE just in case).

I've sent an email to the SETI people about this and I'll try again tomorrow.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

janea wrote:I made a donation a few years ago but don't think thye had green stars back then.  However when I tried to donate again today I can't get through to the website.  (Tried on Firefox and IE just in case).

I've sent an email to the SETI people about this and I'll try again tomorrow.
Hi Jane

Just seen your TRIPLE WAMMY UOTD for Jan 7th for Belgian Beer, LHC and BURP.....my...you have been busy...!

Excellent - WELL DONE.

regards

Tim