Portal add-in for forum + forum upgrade

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...

Should I reactivate the "portal" add-in, on the forum?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:07 pm

YES - I liked it and used it
60%
NO - it isn't worth reactivating
No votes
NO - I didn't use it anyway
20%
NEITHER - I don't mind either way
20%

Total votes: 5

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Portal add-in for forum + forum upgrade

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

This coming weekend, I am looking to upgrade the forum software...as it is now lagging behind by one or two releases.

As a result, I have now deactivated the "portal" add-in, as it is not currently compatible with the newer 3.2.x version of phpBB software.

So, sometime on Saturday afternoon, (20th January), the forum will be closed for maintenance and I'll try to have it back online ASAP. But if it isn't, it's because something didn't go right and I'll have to restore from a back-up.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Portal add-in for forum + forum upgrade

Post by UBT - Timbo »

PS:

If any number of members have a strong DISLIKE of the "portal" add-in, then I'll be happy to leave it deactivated.

So, please let me know whether you liked it or not...and I'll take the majority view as to whether it should be reactivated, once a compatible version (to the new phpBB software) is available.

If you prefer to remain anonymous on your view, then just enter your choice via the poll.

regards
Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Someone mentioned something about a 'portal' a few weeks ago. Still don't know what it was! I always go straight the the forum front page anyway so I won't miss something I never used. Did it have a purpose? Bit late to ask I suppose!

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

I didn't use it on anywhere near a daily basis but now and then. If there's no downside to activating it then I'd like it back for the occasional use.

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Hi

Someone mentioned something about a 'portal' a few weeks ago. Still don't know what it was! I always go straight the the forum front page anyway so I won't miss something I never used. Did it have a purpose? Bit late to ask I suppose!

Mike
Hi Mike

The original (standard phpBB) front page is a bit restricted as you have to click on the "Quick links" link at the top left (just under the banner) in order to see new and/or unread posts.

Likewise, to find anything else, always seemed (to me) to take a few more clicks in order to see what I wanted.

The portal page, OTOH, gave a lot more "helpful" info about what was going on and all within "one" click - take a look at the developers website here:

https://board3.de/

and see they set theirs up - ours was very similar, as all the "modules" are the same (though the colours are different).

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Hi Tim,

I didn't use it on anywhere near a daily basis but now and then. If there's no downside to activating it then I'd like it back for the occasional use.

Mark
Hi Mark

I used it every day and found it very helpful. Saved me a lot of time and effort to see what was going on. But of course, one doesn't need to use it...it's just a "nice to have" facility.

The issue at present is that the phpBB software needs an update and the latest "portal" extension isn't compatible...so I've switched it off for now and will hope to re-install, if a compatible version is released.

regards
Tim