Hello everyone - I'm not so new to BOINC. First time in a TEAM tho.

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
UBT - Ryanbmt
UBT Contributor

Hello everyone - I'm not so new to BOINC. First time in a TEAM tho.

Post by UBT - Ryanbmt »

Hello peeps, I'm Ryan from Brighton. First of I'd Like to say i will be crunching some decent credits for the TEAM, :D
After lurking for a bit, I decided it was finally time to join a TEAM. Now that my servers are configured once again. :-D

I've been out of the BOINC game for a long while. Have just got back and have some serious reading up to do, :lol:
I decided to join the group here to learn and share. I run 7 dedicated servers custom built for BOINC use. :dance:

All these servers are Overclocked Both on the GPUs And CPUs and RUN 24/7, :P

I've spent the last few weeks researching until I feel like my head is ready to explode from information overload trying to setup everything to get max credits in short time, Now i have a solid 'first draft' of my proposed build and am close to finally pulling the trigger, after garnering some more GPU's to make some huge NUMBERS. :pray:

Please feel free to ask any questions. I'll answer them as best as I can. :think:
Thanks for letting me join, I'd Love to get to know the community here! :wink:
Last edited by UBT - Ryanbmt on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: Hello everyone - I'm not so new to BOINC. First time in a TEAM tho.

Post by chriscambridge »

Hey Ryan,

Welcome to the club, no doubt some others will be along shortly to say hello.

You are amongst some like minded people here as a few of us also run pretty powerful setups.

Although some of us, meaning me, are a bit lax at the moment doing other stuff as well as BOINC so extra members with decent 24-7 setups are definitely helpful.

One the biggest things UBT is involved in is Formula BOINC, which I shall leave for some of the other team members to explain, or for you to take a look at the sticky post on this.

In terms of max credits, the best hardware and project to run, is GPUs on Collatz. In terms of CPU projects, I will let others comment as at this time I am not 100% sure which projects are paying out best in terms of credits.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Welcome to the team!

The 1080 can do some serious damage and I'm sure other members will be happy to see you're running Linux on some of them. It might be an idea to get them all running the same version of BOINC but I don't think that's too urgent.

There's plently of advice about if you want to get the most out of your, very nice, setup.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

'morning Ryan,

Welcome, the more the merrier.

Nice setup, you should be getting some nice numbers with that lot :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Best project for quick credits is easily Collatz but only on GPUs. It has CPU applications but they're nowhere near as productive. A single 1080 should manage over five million credits a day.

As far as CPU is concerned, I believe POGs used to be the best payer last time I looked but that was about a year ago and things may have changed. Personally, GPU credits far outweigh anything I could get on CPUs so the credits per day on CPUs isn't really a factor for me so I've not kept up to date with them.

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Welcome to the Team and the forum Ryan, :-)

I guess your main focus is going to be about getting the most from your investment in your servers. Put simply, you can decide to help specific projects because of your own interest in them, whether it is physics, mathematics, medical or any of the other subjects. Or you might be interested in getting the best "bang per buck" in terms of credits. Or you might just want to achieve specific credit "milestones" across a range of projects.

Or it might be a combination of any/all of these. But in any case, there are some tips and tricks you can employ to make the most of it, so I hope you can garner a few helpful things from the forum..and if not, please feel free to ask questions - that's what we're here for, amongst other things. :-)

regards
Tim
UBT - Ryanbmt
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Ryanbmt »

Thanks for the welcome messages everyone and its good to be on board with the TEAM.
UBT - Timbo wrote:Welcome to the Team and the forum Ryan, :-)

I guess your main focus is going to be about getting the most from your investment in your servers. Put simply, you can decide to help specific projects because of your own interest in them, whether it is physics, mathematics, medical or any of the other subjects. Or you might be interested in getting the best "bang per buck" in terms of credits. Or you might just want to achieve specific credit "milestones" across a range of projects.

Or it might be a combination of any/all of these. But in any case, there are some tips and tricks you can employ to make the most of it, so I hope you can garner a few helpful things from the forum..and if not, please feel free to ask questions - that's what we're here for, amongst other things. :-)

regards
Tim
Heya Tim.

First of thanks for letting me join your team. I hope i can make a positive contribution.
As you said a combination of all of these, That's pretty much it for me. Ill be sure to checkout more of the forum.

Is there any way i would be able to become a normal registered user so i can use the PM system etc please. i have looked over the new member section and i'm guessing it works on ranks here in the forum and you must post etc to earn the rank.
chriscambridge wrote:Hey Ryan,

Welcome to the club, no doubt some others will be along shortly to say hello.

You are amongst some like minded people here as a few of us also run pretty powerful setups.

Although some of us, meaning me, are a bit lax at the moment doing other stuff as well as BOINC so extra members with decent 24-7 setups are definitely helpful.

One the biggest things UBT is involved in is Formula BOINC, which I shall leave for some of the other team members to explain, or for you to take a look at the sticky post on this.

In terms of max credits, the best hardware and project to run, is GPUs on Collatz. In terms of CPU projects, I will let others comment as at this time I am not 100% sure which projects are paying out best in terms of credits.
Hi Chris,

It's nice to be able to help out, Because upto now i've been crunching solo. I found this team via Formula BOINC League and noticed everyone was also from the UK and still quite active.

Ill be getting some more GPU's 3x maybe 4x more 1080 Zotac's. As with collatz project i would need a invitation code to register, So if any one could help by sending me one that would be great. With CPU Projects Im running quite a few long one's for prime grid as i notice not many people take the big ones and their's a nice bonus credit from them as well.
UBT - Mikee wrote:Hi

Welcome to the team!

The 1080 can do some serious damage and I'm sure other members will be happy to see you're running Linux on some of them. It might be an idea to get them all running the same version of BOINC but I don't think that's too urgent.

There's plenty of advice about if you want to get the most out of your, very nice, setup.

Mike
Hello Mike,

It's good to be here. Yeh i noticed the 1080s are good for this type of thing i got the zotac 1080 as it has amazing heat dissipation allowing it to run 24/7 and stay cool even maxed out and overclocked running for days on end hits at tops 60c.
I will get around to updating BOINC But like you said its not urgent, i can do this when i update the servers with new GPU'S.
Woodles wrote:'morning Ryan,

Welcome, the more the merrier.

Nice setup, you should be getting some nice numbers with that lot :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Best project for quick credits is easily Collatz but only on GPUs. It has CPU applications but they're nowhere near as productive. A single 1080 should manage over five million credits a day.

As far as CPU is concerned, I believe POGs used to be the best payer last time I looked but that was about a year ago and things may have changed. Personally, GPU credits far outweigh anything I could get on CPUs so the credits per day on CPUs isn't really a factor for me so I've not kept up to date with them.

Mark
Good evening Mark,

I totally agree the more people on board the better. Yeh a lot of things have changed since my return re the projects ETC
In total i have 28 CPU cores available so i don't mind running the long CPU times Bearing in mind i let the GPU do the other tasks like Einstein, SETI, MooWrap And others. This way im able to generate some good Numbers with both CPU and GPU.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Ryanbmt wrote:Heya Tim.

First of thanks for letting me join your team. I hope i can make a positive contribution.
As you said a combination of all of these, That's pretty much it for me. Ill be sure to checkout more of the forum.
Hiya Ryan

No worries :-) Glad you've joined UBT and the forum as we need to build up more active members as many have stopped crunching, for all sorts of reasons and although our crunching ability hasn't faded too much, as said by others, the more the merrier !
Is there any way i would be able to become a normal registered user so i can use the PM system etc please. i have looked over the new member section and i'm guessing it works on ranks here in the forum and you must post etc to earn the rank.
"Normal" membership has certain restrictions simply to stop spammers littering the place.

Once you have posted 5 different postings, then your ranking changes and if you are a UBT member and contributing credits to any of the projects, then a further "upgrade" occurs.

So, another 3 posts and you'll be upgraded !! (Sounds like a line from Dr Who and the CyberMen !!).

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:So, another 3 posts and you'll be upgraded !! (Sounds like a line from Dr Who and the CyberMen !!).

regards
Tim
Better than being "assimilated"! :shock: :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Better than being "assimilated"! :shock: :D
That's the Borg who do that.... ;-)

Cybermen simply DELETE you :-(

regards
Tim
UBT - Ryanbmt
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Ryanbmt »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Ryanbmt wrote:Heya Tim.

Hiya Ryan

No worries :-) Glad you've joined UBT and the forum as we need to build up more active members as many have stopped crunching, for all sorts of reasons and although our crunching ability hasn't faded too much, as said by others, the more the merrier !
"Normal" membership has certain restrictions simply to stop spammers littering the place.

Once you have posted 5 different postings, then your ranking changes and if you are a UBT member and contributing credits to any of the projects, then a further "upgrade" occurs.

So, another 3 posts and you'll be upgraded !! (Sounds like a line from Dr Who and the CyberMen !!).

regards
Tim
Okey, Thank you tim and ill be as active as i can be on the forum. Providing i don't get assimilated by the BORG :lol:

Defiantly one of my favorite episodes of the next generation :lol:

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Ryanbmt wrote:Defiantly one of my favorite episodes of the next generation :lol:
Hi Ryan

Hahahaha - brilliant typo !!

Not sure if it was meant, but the USS Defiant is a bit of a "cause celebre" in the ST universe...

https://www.inverse.com/article/39985-s ... ss-defiant

regards
Tim
UBT - Ryanbmt
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Ryanbmt »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Ryanbmt wrote:Defiantly one of my favorite episodes of the next generation :lol:
Hi Ryan

Hahahaha - brilliant typo !!

Not sure if it was meant, but the USS Defiant is a bit of a "cause celebre" in the ST universe...

https://www.inverse.com/article/39985-s ... ss-defiant

regards
Tim
Thanks tim i'll take a look later. The title looks interesting tho :). Is there anyway i can get a invitation code to the Collatz Conjecture Project please ? :dance:

chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Sorry I forgot to mention, it keeps changing so I am not sure what the current code is.
UBT - Ryanbmt
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Ryanbmt »

chriscambridge wrote:Sorry I forgot to mention, it keeps changing so I am not sure what the current code is.
Yeh it must do, Because i had a code from a long time ago and it does not work now :(

chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Id maybe post on the Collatz message board and slicker should send you the code via private message.
UBT - Ryanbmt
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Ryanbmt »

chriscambridge wrote:Id maybe post on the Collatz message board and slicker should send you the code via private message.
Thank you Chris i will do that.