Yafu

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as WUProp, which can be run in the background.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Yafu

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Not a popular project probably for 1 good reason - the projected timings can be way off!

Tasks can vary from between a few seconds to days. I have a dual core and it uses both cores - if you have a quad core I assume it'll take all 4, and the time should halve.

What you have to ignore is the progress and remaining times - they don't bear any relation to finish times at all. If/when you get a large task it'll quite happily progress to 100% and show no remaining time to completion. This is where most will abort the task as they'll assume it's stuck. How do you know it isn't stuck then?

Go to your computer task manager (I normally just do a right click at the bottom of the screen and select), select the 'processes' tab and sort 'cpu' , At the top of the list will be the 2 (or 4) instances, They will vary CPU usage up to 45+% each (dual core), they will drop as other computer resources are used. At the moment I've got 2 called 'ecm' which is unusual, the names are usually a bit more cryptic.

Credits are good though - the last one took 52 hours for 19,846 credits.

So the best advice is 'Don't panic!'

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: Yafu

Post by nick »

added one of my pcs to crunch it
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Be aware also that there are different tasks depending on how many CPU's you are prepared to allow to crunch on this project - the 16t tasks can run on 16-core CPU's, likewise with the 8t and 4t tasks (for Octo and Quad CPU's respectively).

If you log into your "account" on the project website you can set the Preferences to allow certain tasks (or not), depending on how many CPU's you want the product to use (assuming you also want to run other CPU tasks from other projects).

Also note that checkpointing is "barely" enabled - so only run it on PCs that are on 24/7, else you will lose a lot of the crunching time - if you look at the project message board, there are a few disgruntled members who have had issues with this.

Memory requirements are also pretty low.

When I get back from my business trip, I may join in on this when I get back, if we need a "push".

regards
Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Credits are a bit haywire! Recently done one of the big WUs on the laptop (Intel Celeron dual core). It took 40 hours and got 990 credits. The PC (AMD A64) finished around the same time doing one that also took 40 hours and it got 14,330 credits!

Guess I won't be doing any more on the laptop then!

Mike

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

I guess that's the 'benefits' of using Creditnew! :shock: :(

However, that's not filling me with confidence about my current WU. 71 hours in and it was due yesterday.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Woodles wrote:I guess that's the 'benefits' of using Creditnew! :shock: :(

However, that's not filling me with confidence about my current WU. 71 hours in and it was due yesterday.
Hi

Wouldn't worry about the due date - I think that's when it should have been started. Go to the site to see when it is actually due - probably early March. If you're using the same PC as the last big one you did it should get a good return.

Mike

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the pointer, I've checked on the website and the due date is March 6th. Phew, I can sleep a little easier :)

Yep, same host as last time, it's the only one running Yafu :D I was thinking of adding another couple since WEP+2 seems pretty stable now and we have enough lead there to back off for a bit.

Mark