wow

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

wow

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I just saw an article online (which I'll link to below), concerning a new high capacity SSD that is about to be launched.

And it got me thinking. About 1989, I bought a Seagate 20 Mb MFM hard drive and thought that was very capacious (having to that time booted into DOS via a 5 1/4 floppy drive).

Soon after that, I got another Seagate drive, this time a 40 Mb. But that was it as MFM only supported 2 hard drives. In the early 1990's I then switched to SCSI drives and got a Quantum 270 Mb drive and an Adaptec AHA1542 adapter. More SCSI drives followed, mostly more Quantums and I soon had a small array of 540 Mb drives (though NOT connected in RAID, as I couldn't afford a RAID adapter !!)

Over the next few years, I upgraded, bit by bit and, like most people with PC's we're now talking Gb drives, for not a lot of money. And recently I got a 5 Tb "spinning rust" external drive (as an "archive" device) for about 30 cups of Costa coffee...

But it seems that's not enough....and Seagate will soon be making available: a 60 Tb SSD... :P :D 8-)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/09 ... _60tb_ssd/

Of course the problem is that to backup such a drive using my 1.2 Mb floppy drive is going to take simply AGES !!!

**UPDATE**
It seems Toshiba have just trumped Seagate, by announcing plans for a 100 Tb SSD

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/10 ... b_qlc_ssd/

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: wow

Post by Woodles »

Quite impressive when you think that at the beginning of 1997, the entire internet was only 2 Terabytes.

However:
"... QLC drives would have a 150 write cycle endurance rating ..."
Better not update your files too often :D
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by nick »

when you go over 2tb the ssd's are a much slower chip so although there still faster than a spinning disk there not blazing fast like a 950 evo.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Quite impressive when you think that at the beginning of 1997, the entire internet was only 2 Terabytes.

However:
"... QLC drives would have a 150 write cycle endurance rating ..."
Better not update your files too often :D
Hi Mark

Yup - you spotted the "elephant in the room" as it were...as far as Write capability.

I think these would be fine as WORM drives which will make life a lot easier/cheaper etc for data centres, where read access is only required...so websites like Youtube, Vevo, Spotify, etc would love these...as well as big corporations who want to provide fixed datasets to employees/clients/suppliers etc.

And once the basics are sorted no doubt the pricing will come down and the write cycle capability will improve.

regards
Tim