Lexmark X5470

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Halifax-lad

Lexmark X5470

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Just bought the above mentioned printer, see info here

Saw it on the TV the other day & loved it, walked down to PC world today, they had the same model in so I managed to look at it up close, so now come home and ordered it cheaper off the Internet :wink:

Edit: Just need to buy a wireless printer server for it now
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: Lexmark X4570

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Just bought the above mentioned printer, see info here

Saw it on the TV the other day & loved it, walked down to PC world today, they had the same model in so I managed to look at it up close, so now come home and ordered it cheaper off the Internet :wink:

Edit: Just need to buy a wireless printer server for it now
Ah yes - pay day yesterday wasn't it! :D
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Ah yes - pay day yesterday wasn't it! :D
Close was 2 days ago :lol:

Always wanted to get a Lexmark but for some reason always bought Epson, so put the order in before my mouse made me buy an Epson again.

Won't fit on my desk some got a shelf at back of room it can go on
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Ah yes - pay day yesterday wasn't it! :D
Close was 2 days ago :lol:

Always wanted to get a Lexmark but for some reason always bought Epson, so put the order in before my mouse made me buy an Epson again.

Won't fit on my desk some got a shelf at back of room it can go on
I keep on saying to myself "try another brand" but I inevitably buy Lexmark! Cheap and cheerful especially if you don't buy new cartridges - just add new ink until they break!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Thought I may as well get something that is functional too rather than just a printer, quite cheap really for a fax, colour/black printer, scanner & copier.

Reviews say it is good & cheap to run too so thats a bonus, will only ever be used to fax & print essays off
UBT - Halifax-lad

It might arrive at some bloody point, since when has next day delivery meant oh yeah it will take 2 - 3 days to be delivered :?:

When it arrives I might just tell the person to send it back and then I will buy it from a company that actually stick to what it says
UBT - Halifax-lad

Arrived yesterday, now all I need to get is the wireless printer server.

Also sent a message to Lexmark slating them for not including a USB Cable, everything else is included, Black & Colour Ink, telephone splitter & cable, but no USB.

Seems odd they would include everything else but then decide to not include the most important bit to get the printer to work.

Not a problem here as I already have a couple of cables already
Gamma^Ray
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by Gamma^Ray »

Seems to be more and more common lately with printing companies. I won't be surprised if in the future, The Ink will not be included either.  :shock:  

G&R
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Arrived yesterday, now all I need to get is the wireless printer server.

Also sent a message to Lexmark slating them for not including a USB Cable, everything else is included, Black & Colour Ink, telephone splitter & cable, but no USB.

Seems odd they would include everything else but then decide to not include the most important bit to get the printer to work.

Not a problem here as I already have a couple of cables already
Maybe they assumed everyone would be running the printer wirelessly.... 8)  (a bit like IrDA or 802.11 ??)

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

You still need a USB cable to run it without wires unless its a WIFI printer.

Edit: Will be interesting to see what reason they use for not packing one in, it can be cost as it would only take me £2 to buy one so to bulk buy them they would get them well cheap.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:You still need a USB cable to run it without wires unless its a WIFI printer.
Ah, that's where I got it wrong - thought it was a WIFI printer, hence why you needed the WIFI print server....!

I thought the connection "route" was:

wifi printer<<>>via WIFI<<>>print server<<>>cable<<>>PC   :oops:

and instead it seems you are using it like this:

wifi printer<<>>USB cable<<>>print server<<>>via WIFI<<>>PC

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:and instead it seems you are using it like this:

wifi printer<<>>USB cable<<>>print server<<>>via WIFI<<>>PC
Yup thats the correct way, as there is no room on my desk thought it may as well sit on a shelf at the back of the room but didn't want to have wires everywhere
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Yup thats the correct way, as there is no room on my desk thought it may as well sit on a shelf at the back of the room but didn't want to have wires everywhere
So, if you're getting a WIFI router and a WIFI print server (which presumably will "see" each other), does that then mean if I come past your house, I can print out all my price lists by connecting into your WIFI network and then hit "print" on my PDA ??   :evil:

Or even to print out some nice new crisp fifty pounds notes - it is colour isn't it????

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Only if you can break past the security :lol:  :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well I got the most useless answer ever to my email
Dear Mr Sutton,

Thank you for your recent e-mail, apologies for not responding sooner. Lexmark do not supply USB cables with our printers as they are manufactured by an independand company.  Lexmark are unable to provide USB cables with our printers, as we do not have this accessory when bundling up the boxes.

Lexmark do print onto the printer box that a USB is needed to be purchased seperately, and we hope that all of our resellers inform customers that this cable will need to be bought seperately in order to reduce this inconvenience.
Seems quite obvious to me that you would buy in a massive stock of USB cables so that when the boxes are "bundled up" you have then to hand
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Does seem crazy for the small extra profit they will make by not including the usb...I had a new PC delivered last week and when it turned up they threw in a free lexmark printer,  don't need one so only just looked at the box and sure enough "Purchase USB cable separately" is part of the blurb on the side of the box...the cable would have been more use than the printer. :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Luckily I have 2 both from when I use to have broadband through BT and they are the same type as the one needed for the printer.

I checked Lexmark's website / Online shop last night, they are selling a 2 metre USB cable for printers @ £19.99, so I guess that is the reason they don't include them they are hoping some stupid people will come along and buy one at that price :lol:

Netgear will actually provide 2 USB printer leads with there printer server so I will have even more when that arrives, and thats from a company that does not even make printers it just does the networking of them.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I checked Lexmark's website / Online shop last night, they are selling a 2 metre USB cable for printers @ £19.99, so I guess that is the reason they don't include them they are hoping some stupid people will come along and buy one at that price :lol:
I think you just hit the nail on the head there.....and this sort of thing is rife in the hi-fi industry.

e.g. If you've bought some speakers in the "good old days", they'd come with maybe a pair of 2 or 3 yard cables (I did say "old days" - pre-metric !!).

Then shops found out that "better" cables were available, so they'd try and sell you the improved cables, meaning the ones in the box usually got discarded. Soon as the makers found out, they saved themselves a few bob and left the cables out - thereby allowing dealers to sell "better" cables at the same time as when the customer bought the speakers.

Nowadays, most British hi-fi brands don't include cables in the box with most items, allowing their dealers to make a further profitable sale to the customer (of the appropriate cables and connectors).

You'd be surprised by the number of people I met who would actually ask to buy, say, Mission speaker cable, or Sony Tape Recorder leads, just because it had the brand name on it.....(and therefore it was "right" for them). They wouldn't accept anything else....

And in the same way,  I s'pose someone in Lexmark marketing thought "if a customer buys our printer and we don't include a cable for it, then we'll sell lots of Lexmark cables, coz people are dumb and will want the same branded cable as the printer.....so, they'll pay (almost) any price....and we can clean up...."

There's one born every minute....!

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Not going wireless with it anymore, found out a printer server is pretty much useless and won't really support the scanning mode or some other features and also a wireless printer server can be quite slow compare to a direct connection.

So now just need to buy a USB hub, longer USB cable and a RJ-12, so its good & ready to go