World Aids Day Week Crunch on WCG

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Halifax-lad

World Aids Day Week Crunch on WCG

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

UBT are pleased to announce a week long crunch on WCG in support of World Aids Day

The crunch runs from Midnight Fri Nov 24, 2006 ending on Midnight Fri Dec 01, 2006 (World Aids Day)

To participate all you need to do is switch over to WCG for the week. suspending any other work you may have already or join us if you have not started crunching as yet.

More WCG info here, it contains info on how to sign up to WCG, the projects and how to select an individual project.

Please make sure that you ensure that you select the FAAH only option for the duration of the week as well as ticking the check box to send other work if the FAAH WU's run out.

FAAH is currently a very popular project due to it being the main one with work available at the moment, so the WU's are validated and given credit ASAP.
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

6 days to go :!:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:6 days to go :!:
Is that all?

Best start downloading some so that they get verified quicker then!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Is that all?

Best start downloading some so that they get verified quicker then!
WCG WU's tend to validate pretty quickly so no big issues there
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

I'm ready to go  8)
UBT - Halifax-lad

Just started my crunch :wink:
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

Just finishing off my last few TANPAKU units will be on WCG by the morning.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Yup, I've started already and will switch my HT P4 to crunch using both cores as from tomorrow (only using one right now, with the other on BBC).

I've got one other PC that is fast enough to use on WCG so that should help the overall Team effort... :D

regards

tim
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

How big are the WU's?
I'm away this weekend and I'd hate for my PC to run short of work if my network flakes out (seems to be a router issue as a rebbot of said router fixes it).
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Semmy wrote:How big are the WU's? I'm away this weekend and I'd hate for my PC to run short of work if my network flakes out (seems to be a router issue as a reboot of said router fixes it).
On my 3Ghz P4, they take about 14-16 hours per WU, when running the Fight AIDS at home project, which is our recommended project for the WCG Crunch Week.

Other WCG projects may take more/less time.....

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

They take 8 hrs on my machine AMD Sempron 3000+
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

my AMD 1700XP thoroughbred o/c @ 2200 takes 7hours and a few mins for each wu   :roll:  

b. :)
UBT - NyeD

Post by UBT - NyeD »

I am ready, I have just suspended all other projects.  :D
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

All three machines now crunching happily...
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

I've just joined in too

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

Einstein has gone belly up, so I've just joined WCG and will crunch a few WUs this week.  If it goes OK for the next few days I might even suspend my other projects (wossit worth :?:  :wink: )
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: I've just joined in too

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PennyQ wrote:Einstein has gone belly up, so I've just joined WCG and will crunch a few WUs this week.  If it goes OK for the next few days I might even suspend my other projects (wossit worth :?:  :wink: )
WCG tends to be one of the better run projects with plenty of WU's available - the only issue tends to be that their stats are only updated perhaps once/twice a day....but this doesn't cause any issues with actually crunching the work they have.

As to what it's worth? How's about 2 Plain Chocolate HobNobs?

regards

Tim
UBT - PennyQ

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

Plain chocolate... now you're talking!
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PennyQ wrote:Plain chocolate... now you're talking!
We don't mess around with just "ordinary" milk chocolate here !!

We're made of sterner stuff and only go for the REAL McCoy 8)

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Crunch comes to an end tomorrow any time you wish to finish it

Well done to all now at position 107 see here
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: World Aids Day Week Crunch on WCG

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:UBT are pleased to announce a week long crunch on WCG in support of World Aids Day

The crunch runs from Midnight Fri Nov 24, 2006 ending on Midnight Fri Dec 01, 2006 (World Aids Day)
Hi all,

The WCG Crunch is now over and initially, it shows that our BOINC WCG credits total has increased from 335,080 up to 376,028 - an increase of 40,948 - an average of 5,849.71 credit per day.

To be honest, it's not as great a total as I thought we might reach, but it's been very worthwhile to do and I greatly appreciate all team members who have made an effort to support this project and by so doing, have given up crunching for other projects.

Our ranking in the World stats shows that we've moved up to around 107 position. :D  . Hopefully, over the next few days, as late results become verified, we might even move up another place?

Which would be nice !

regards

Tim
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

I have over 1500 pending credits from results returned during the crunch so hopefully if everyone has few we should continue to climb. I still have a dozen or so WUs to complete as well. It would be nice to get into the top 100 as this must be one of our lowest ranked projects.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:I have over 1500 pending credits from results returned during the crunch so hopefully if everyone has few we should continue to climb. I still have a dozen or so WUs to complete as well. It would be nice to get into the top 100 as this must be one of our lowest ranked projects.
Sadly, it is true that WCG is probably our least well supported BOINC project - not so much in terms of membership, but more from the crunching side of things.

And our ranking is lower than average specifically due to the large number of IBM staffers who crunch for WCG (and given it's an IBM supported project, then this is understandable).

So, if you take out the 18 "IBM" teams from above us, we have a more reasonable World ranking of  89th   :roll:

(And just by looking at the team names, we appear to be about 3rd or 4th of the UK based Teams).

Maybe we can bring about a change and generate a bit more interest in this project over the coming months?

regards

Tim
Gamma^Ray
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by Gamma^Ray »

I was thinking about this issue myself lately, Since Synergy started its WCG monthly crunch for WCG. Our team also is pretty low on the rankings for this project for some reason, And I was thinking why was it that makes myself not crunch there as much as some other projects. To me, I think that its the basic way WCG is setup that may be the reason, As it really doesn't seem like a BOINC project even though it is. But seeing as how they use a different way of scoring with their points system, And the inability to see detailed results per wu, And a inability to compare your outcome versus someone elses that ran the same wu, Tend to make it (At least to me), A project that I never really know how I stand or rank as a user versus anyone else. Its kinda weird really, But is it a coincidence that they are the only project thats like that, And both of our teams rankings aren't where they usually are in other projects ? Who knows, Another thought just hit me also, Which is simply , Why ask Why ?  :lol: