Overclocking

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Kieron J. Barr

Overclocking

Post by Kieron J. Barr »

Hey guys, I hope I am posting this in the right area....but if not, please feel free to move it.

Basically, I am wondering if it is worth overclocking my Nvidia GT720 card? And if so, how would I do such a thing?

I've never overclocked anything before, but I was just wondering and hoping that I could get some performance boost out of it and cruch WU's a bit more by doing so?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Overclocking

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Kieron J. Barr wrote:Hey guys, I hope I am posting this in the right area....but if not, please feel free to move it.

Basically, I am wondering if it is worth overclocking my Nvidia GT720 card? And if so, how would I do such a thing?

I've never overclocked anything before, but I was just wondering and hoping that I could get some performance boost out of it and cruch WU's a bit more by doing so?
Hi Kieron,

You can download the (free) MSI Afterburner program that allows you to overclock GPU cards.

http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

On the one hand, some cards are designed to be overclocked and the manufacturer ensures that the cooling system(s) are sufficient for most applications (such as games). Overclocking allows higher refresh rates which can be beneficial for certain games.

On the other hand, overclocking memory and/or GPU (or other functions such as overvolting) can often cause issues, such as overheating, and locking up, while you also need to understand that sometimes pushing the card beyond it's limits might cause it to become damaged.

So, tread carefully and you can perhaps end up with a slightly better performance (compared to the "standard" settings).

But if you want much better performance, it might be better to maybe buy a better card to begin with - a good second hand one might be within your budget :)

regards
Tim
Kieron J. Barr

Re: Overclocking

Post by Kieron J. Barr »

Yeah, well I wouldn't even know how much to overclock it by anyways.

Think I might just leave it alone. A new pc or card isn't viable right now.