BOINC usabillity ideas

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Halifax-lad

BOINC usabillity ideas

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

There has been a big discussion of late regarding the bad vibes coming from BOINC the source of the discussion was a article more or less slating BOINC.

Luckily the article has done a lot of good, the developers, and some staff from projects are now starting to put things into motion

A big list can be found here

There is also talk of a manned 24hr help desk for BOINC staffed by volunteers, using Skype
I really like Bruce's idea for a 24-hour hot line, and the technology exists to make it work.

Let's flesh it out a little:

1) We'll make a web page, boinc.berkeley.edu/support/
2) Volunteers will register at this site.  They supply:
  - what language(s) they speak
  - what hours they are typically available
  - what BOINC projects they are most familiar with
  - their Skype ID and email address
 They also have to read some material about how to do customer support,   and they have to sign up with an email list for support volunteers
3) Users needing help go to the site and pick their language.
  They see a page of links to volunteers that speak that language.
  These links show whether each volunteer is currently online;
  clicking on the link initiates a Skype call to the volunteer.
  Here's a mockup:
     http://boinc.berkeley.edu/support.php
  (Skype provides a nice mechanism for doing this; see
     http://www.skype.com/share/buttons/index.html
  Maybe we can think of a mechanism where, if no volunteers are online,
  the user can request a call at a later time.
4) The user and volunteer converse and resolve the problem
5) Possibly have a feedback mechanism where the user can say how helpful the volunteer was (1 to 5 stars).
6) We have to figure out what happens if the volunteer can't solve the
problem;
  we need to eventually give the user a solution,
  or tell them that there is none.

Technical note: volunteers would create a separate Skype ID for this.
It's possible to run 2 instances of Skype at once, with different IDs.
Note all these ideas are just that (ideas) at the moment, some may happen some may not new things will probally come up along the line
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

Yeah I've been following this thread on the emails as well, though I think if i've understood it correctly for installing the boinc server stuff, it might also be useful for newbies to contact someone for installing boinc client.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Its really a quite exciting time for BOINC, its finally about to get some dedicated ways of getting real support other than through the messy message boards.

This is what D.Anderson has had to say on a follow up comment, I think he is looking forward to implementing this stage of BOINC
The proposed Skype-based system would be BOINC-wide, not per-project.

The Skype-based system would be a "first line of defense", handling the 90% of problems that are quick and easy. We'd still need a text-based system (either the Q&A boards, or a ticket system) for the other 10%.

My feeling is that live voice communication (because of the opportunity for fast back-and-forth) is much faster for problem-solving than email-based systems.  Plus I think it would reduce the feelings of impersonal alienation that some users experience.