Actual tasks completed

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
rich2000k
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Actual tasks completed

Post by rich2000k »

Right guys, 99% of us would have got into crunching for the same reason, to help science in some form or other. The other 1%, probably the credit or they got lost lol.

I'm curious, as a team, how many individual tasks have each of you actually completed and saved a supercomputer from working out.

*for the sake of tasks can we not include bitcoin utopia as it's not an actual scientific task*

I'll get the ball rolling, over the four projects I do minus BCU. I have completed 26240 tasks.

Let's see how much as a group we've helped.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Good idea but the problem I have is that most of my tasks have since been wiped off the projects database and I can't find any way of determining what I've actually done?

There's also the fact that some tasks last a lot longer than others (WCG tasks can last for days/weeks while SRBase tasks can be completed in 30 seconds!)

Is there anywhere that keeps the records for more than a couple of months?

Mark
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

If you've still got the project listed in Boinc it'll be under properties for each one.
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Enigma@Home tells you how many you've done...

3373 completed (I think, but it's hard to tell...)
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Actual tasks completed

Post by UBT - Timbo »

rich2000k wrote:Right guys, 99% of us would have got into crunching for the same reason, to help science in some form or other. The other 1%, probably the credit or they got lost lol.

I'm curious, as a team, how many individual tasks have each of you actually completed and saved a supercomputer from working out.

*for the sake of tasks can we not include bitcoin utopia as it's not an actual scientific task*

I'll get the ball rolling, over the four projects I do minus BCU. I have completed 26240 tasks.

Let's see how much as a group we've helped.
Hi Rich

I really hope that there's an easy way to sort this, as in my case, I've crunched WU's for many tens of projects - and some projects have "ceased to be" and gone offline, so all of that information is lost.

Sadly, even the "My detailed stats" on boincstats.com doesn't help either.

Maybe, we can get Temujin to create a new set of stats, on the ubtstats.co.uk website....

But for now, I can't think of any easier way....and that's assuming the number of tasks data is actually exported from the project website to the all of the stats websites.

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

Sounds like a plan.

8)
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: Actual tasks completed

Post by Woodles »

rich2000k wrote:If you've still got the project listed in Boinc it'll be under properties for each one.
Hi Rich,

All I've got under properties is total and average credit not tasks :(

As an alternative measurement, according to WUProp, I've managed to accumulate just over 25 years worth of crunching (not counting BU) :D
UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi Rich

I really hope that there's an easy way to sort this, as in my case, I've crunched WU's for many tens of projects - and some projects have "ceased to be" and gone offline, so all of that information is lost.
Hi Tim,

Same here, some projects aren't active any more and of those that are, some only list tasks done in the past few months (or days in a few cases)
UBT - Timbo wrote:Maybe, we can get Temujin to create a new set of stats, on the ubtstats.co.uk website....

But for now, I can't think of any easier way....and that's assuming the number of tasks data is actually exported from the project website to the and and all of the stats websites.

regards
Tim
That would only work going forward, Temujin wouldn't be able to find out how many tasks had been done previously either.

Mark
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

As an alternative measurement, according to WUProp, I've managed to accumulate just over 25 years worth of crunching (not counting BU) :D
Only problem with this is that it probably doesn't go back to your first WU crunched too... It's a good start, though, but I think our best bet is to try to create a stats system that will track all of our WUs.
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

rich2000k wrote:Sounds like a plan.

8)
Hi Rich,

Just as an "aside", BU does actualy show the tasks completed on the "My account" page.

Currently, for my account, it shows this:

Code: Select all

Aquaponics (Campaign #1) credit	0 total (0 tasks)
HopeGames (Campaign #2) credit	39,600,000 total (33 tasks)
Milkyway (Campaign #3) credit	22,914,042,470 total (24579 tasks)
Mars (Campaign #4) credit	2,925,291,950 total (3280 tasks)
Seti (Campaign #5) credit	2,231,940,000 total (1897 tasks)
BOINCstats (Campaign #6) credit	2,268,420,000 total (3517 tasks)
RNA World (Campaign #7) credit	0 total (0 tasks)
Yoyo (Campaign #8) credit	435,600,000 total (363 tasks)
The Woodward Effect (Campaign #9) credit	1,036,800,000 total (1112 tasks)
SRBase (Campaign #10) credit	45,600,000 total (38 tasks)
Cryonics (Campaign #11) credit	1,299,277,820 total (1323 tasks)
Now it's quite possible that other BOINC projects could show this information.....it's then just a question of getting hold of all of a specific members stats and compiling it all together :(

But don't hold your breath !!

regards
Tim
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

I'll tell you what we have some right boffins in this team, most of you will be more technically gifted than me lol.

And Woodles, well done 25yrs is an achievement in itself...take a bow
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

And Woodles, well done 25yrs is an achievement in itself...
Agreed :D

It's more than I've done - 1.22 years...
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Chris wrote:
rich2000k wrote:And Woodles, well done 25yrs is an achievement in itself...take a bow
UBT - Chris wrote:It's more than I've done - 1.22 years...
Sorry, a bit misleading. WUProp states how much computing work you've done, two PCs for a year gives you two years of work, 10 PCs for a week and you've 'worked' for a year. Also, it's only been running for ~5 years so has missed of any earlier work done. I've only actually been crunching for about 16 years :)

Mark
Last edited by Woodles on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

16 years is impressive, Mark :D I've BOINCed since this time last year, but had this account for 6 months :)