Moving up the charts quickly

Team milestones, Badges from projects, congratulations to members regarding personal achievements (such as User Of The Day project awards, or reaching specific targets). Also topics about GRC (Gridcoin) rewards.
UBT - Eric
UBT Contributor

Moving up the charts quickly

Post by UBT - Eric »

Hello

I'm walking on air right now.

My credit has gone from 198,570 to over 29 million in just 2 days....and I've leapt up from number 1040 to number 60. That's an improvement of nearly 1,000 places in about 48 hours.

Is this right? I wish I'd found this Bitcoin project years ago, as by now I'd be top of the tree.
Last edited by UBT - Eric on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Eric,

Very well done :)

Keep on crunching at that rate (or better) and you'll soon be in the Top 20 ;)

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris »

Eric - that's amazing! 29 million in 2 days?! Bitcoin Utopia is an amazing project credit wise, that's where 93.54% of our team credit comes from! Keep climbing like that, and soon you'll be threatening Mark, Tim and James' top 3 spots ;)
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Eric
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Eric »

Thanks Chris

I was hopeful that I can make a contribution and this Bitcoin thing suits my hardware down to the ground, as my laptop is a bit old by current standards.

But I've had to shut it down now, as it seems the Bitcoin work units are ending after a few seconds and they are not validating properly....so, I'll leave it for now.

Maybe I've broken it because it couldn't cope with my BOINCing ??
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

No problem Eric,

The Bitcoin thing sounds weird, though - I've never had it happen to me - my BU problem is that I try to download the 1.6gh/s tasks, but it always says that there are none (same with the 333mh/s tasks), so occasionally, I crunch a few CPUMiners tasks, instead...
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

Right, well based on Eric's sudden and unprecedented rise up the charts I have decided to download Bitcoin Utopia and see what all the fuss is about.

Let's see what the next 48hrs brings in
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

Holy Christmas baubles Batman!!!...1800 credit in 30 secs WOW!
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Eric wrote:Thanks Chris

I was hopeful that I can make a contribution and this Bitcoin thing suits my hardware down to the ground, as my laptop is a bit old by current standards.

But I've had to shut it down now, as it seems the Bitcoin work units are ending after a few seconds and they are not validating properly....so, I'll leave it for now.

Maybe I've broken it because it couldn't cope with my BOINCing ??
Hi Eric,

It does pay reasonably well doesn't it  :D

There was a problem with the external servers that BU connect to last night which is why everything was erroring after a few seconds. http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinuto ... php?id=810 All working again now.

Mark
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

rich2000k wrote:Holy Christmas baubles Batman!!!...1800 credit in 30 secs WOW!
Welcome to the UBT BU 'family' Rich  :D

Mark
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

Mark, why is it I originally had 50 tasks, then after 8 seconds running BCU Boinc crashed, and 48 of the 50 BC tasked failed.

Now I have lists of hundreds of cpu mining tasks and zero gpu tasks???

Any thoughts?
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

rich2000k wrote:Mark, why is it I originally had 50 tasks, then after 8 seconds running BCU Boinc crashed, and 48 of the 50 BC tasked failed.

Now I have lists of hundreds of cpu mining tasks and zero gpu tasks???

Any thoughts?
Hi Rich,

Firstly, I should say that I've only crunched ASIC WUs so I'm probably not the best person to help but I'll have a go :D

Your failed CPU tasks all have the error wrapper: running minerd.exe ( --algo=scrypt -o stratum+tcp://pool.ipominer.com:3475 -u bu_4.64 -p x -t 1 -r 5) can't run app: Access is denied. and your failed GPU tasks have couldn't start app: CreateProcess() failed - The system cannot find the file specified.

I would suspect an antivirus programme objecting to BU (it's often falsely flagged as a virus) You'll have to set your AV to ignore the BOINC directory.

Your preferences set on the BU website will determine what work you get sent and BOINC may think you have enough work to do already so won't request any GPU work. Do you use your GPU on any other project?

Personally, I'd turn off CPU tasks in the preferences and only crunch GPU WUs.

Mark

EDIT: I see things seem to be working properly again  :)
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

Thanks Mark, you were correct it was AVG. I have had to wait for it to flag it as an exception to find the correct paths. Hopefully that's that sorted for good now.

I also do GPU work for milkyway but as yet nothing come through for BCU. I'll check my preferences and see if it'll fix it.
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

I'm gonna look dopey now but how on the BCU computing preferences page do you select just gpu...can't find an option at all.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

rich2000k wrote:I'm gonna look dopey now but how on the BCU computing preferences page do you select just gpu...can't find an option at all.
It's listed as 'SGMiner' or 'CUDA' miner depending on which GPU you have.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

The boxes at the top, untick 'use CPU' and tick 'use ATI GPU' ... or only selecting sgminer WUs should also work.

Mark
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

Found it, all done and cooking on gas now thanks again Mike & Mark.
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

My ASICs still aren't working :(
I'll try the Pi again later...
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

All done and cooking on gas now.

I won't do Eric's 29,000,000 but a 300,000+ per day figure is a hefty increase.

Thanks for the help.

Looks like I'll be making a much larger contribution to the team from now on...prepare yourselves for all the "how do I do this" questions to come in the future lol
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

300,000 is still good, Rich :D and we're ready - fire away when you need to, and we'll be here to help :)
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

rich2000k wrote:All done and cooking on gas now.

I won't do Eric's 29,000,000 but a 300,000+ per day figure is a hefty increase.

Thanks for the help.
Glad it's all sorted now Rich, every credit counts and 300,000 isn't to be sniffed at! :)
rich2000k wrote:Looks like I'll be making a much larger contribution to the team from now on...prepare yourselves for all the "how do I do this" questions to come in the future lol
We've been there and done that so try your worst :P

Mark
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

rich2000k wrote:
Looks like I'll be making a much larger contribution to the team from now on...prepare yourselves for all the "how do I do this" questions to come in the future lol
Woodles wrote:
We've been there and done that so try your worst Razz

Well said, Mark :D
UBT - Eric
UBT Contributor

Re: Moving up the charts quickly

Post by UBT - Eric »

UBT - Eric wrote:Hello

My credit has gone from 198,570 to over 29 million in just 2 days....and I've leapt up from number 1040 to number 60. That's an improvement of nearly 1,000 places in about 48 hours.

Is this right? I wish I'd found this Bitcoin project years ago, as by now I'd be top of the tree.
Hello

I think I've now joined the team elite, I think, as my credits are now over 200,000,000 ;) and I've reached the dizzying height of #20

Do I get a prize?

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Eric wrote:

Hello

I think I've now joined the team elite, I think, as my credits are now over 200,000,000 ;) and I've reached the dizzying height of #20

Do I get a prize?

Hi Eric,

Congratulations  :wav:

So that's what? A thousand places and 200 thousand credits to 200 million credits in less than a week?! Very impressive  :salute:

Mark
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Eric wrote: Hello

Do I get a prize?
The standard award, as donated by Timbo, is chocolate Hobnobs. Though he's been a bit slack in the distribution of these. I don't know of anyone whos had the fortune of getting any. Maybe he'll break open the wallet and send you some?

Oh...

Wait...

What's this....

Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:The standard award, as donated by Timbo, is chocolate Hobnobs. Though he's been a bit slack in the distribution of these. I don't know of anyone whos had the fortune of getting any. Maybe he'll break open the wallet and send you some?

Oh...

Wait...

What's this....
Charming !!

There's me, doing me best to inspire peeps and all of a sudden, I get THIS ;)

Tell you what: Anyone who has been promised choccy Hobnobs and not received them, PM me your postal address and I'll sort something out for you - do it quick as Easter is near and you know what happens with the postal system.....

This is a once only offer. T&C apply. E. & O.E. Your property might be at risk if you do not accept that choccy Hobnobs are the best type of biscuit EVER. I am not regulated by any Financial Institution or other body - only by the fullness of my bladder..

You may not assign, sub-license or otherwise transfer any of your rights under these Terms and Conditions.

If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is found to be invalid by any court having competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of that provision will not affect the validity of the remaining provisions of these Terms and Conditions, which shall remain in full force and effect.

If you breach these Terms and Conditions and UBT ignores this, UBT will still be entitled to use its rights and remedies at a later date or in any other situation where you breach the Terms and Conditions.

UBT shall not be responsible for any breach of these Terms and Conditions caused by circumstances beyond its control.

A person who is not a party to these Terms and Conditions shall have no right under the Contract (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce any term of these Terms and Conditions but this shall not affect any right or remedy of a third party which exists or is available apart from that Act.

In particular, we disclaim all liabilities in connection with the following:

*    incompatibility of the UBT Site with any of your equipment, software or telecommunications links
*    technical problems including errors or interruptions of the UBT Site
*    unsuitability, unreliability or inaccuracy of the UBT Site
*    inadequacy of the UBT site to meet your requirements

To the full extent allowed by applicable law, you agree that we will not be liable to you/or any third party for any consequential or incidental damages (including but not limited to loss of revenue, loss of profits, loss of anticipated savings, wasted expenditure, loss of privacy and loss of data) or any other indirect, special or punitive damages whatsoever that arise out of or are related to the UBT Site.

Nothing in this paragraph applies to UBT's liability in respect of products sold elsewhere.

Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude UBT's liability for personal injury or death caused by its negligence - except in those cases where you are a complete muppet and you brought upon yourself a Darwin Award.

Our acceptance of your details takes place on despatch of the item(s), at which point the gift contract will be made and you will be expected to report back upon safe delivery of the item(s).

These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and any disputes will be decided only by the English courts.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Do I get a prize?
Hi Eric,

A prize? I'm not sure I've got anything suitable for a BEE !!

How about this:

Personally, I think she's a bit of a HONEY.

I'm sure she can BUZZ around to your place and STING you :)

regards

Tim
UBT - Eric
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Eric »

Fits the bill rather well :)

Although this might be more appropriate ;)

One thing though - can you make sure you let me know in advance what day and time she'll be coming - as I'd hate to be out.
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

I think you should get a prize (if you can read the small print of Tim's (I can :D)), here it is a bit bigger...
You may not assign, sub-license or otherwise transfer any of your rights under these Terms and Conditions.

If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is found to be invalid by any court having competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of that provision will not affect the validity of the remaining provisions of these Terms and Conditions, which shall remain in full force and effect.

If you breach these Terms and Conditions and UBT ignores this, UBT will still be entitled to use its rights and remedies at a later date or in any other situation where you breach the Terms and Conditions.

UBT shall not be responsible for any breach of these Terms and Conditions caused by circumstances beyond its control.

A person who is not a party to these Terms and Conditions shall have no right under the Contract (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce any term of these Terms and Conditions but this shall not affect any right or remedy of a third party which exists or is available apart from that Act.

In particular, we disclaim all liabilities in connection with the following:

*    incompatibility of the UBT Site with any of your equipment, software or telecommunications links
*    technical problems including errors or interruptions of the UBT Site
*    unsuitability, unreliability or inaccuracy of the UBT Site
*    inadequacy of the UBT site to meet your requirements

To the full extent allowed by applicable law, you agree that we will not be liable to you/or any third party for any consequential or incidental damages (including but not limited to loss of revenue, loss of profits, loss of anticipated savings, wasted expenditure, loss of privacy and loss of data) or any other indirect, special or punitive damages whatsoever that arise out of or are related to the UBT Site.

Nothing in this paragraph applies to UBT's liability in respect of products sold elsewhere.

Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude UBT's liability for personal injury or death caused by its negligence - except in those cases where you are a complete muppet and you brought upon yourself a Darwin Award.

Our acceptance of your details takes place on despatch of the item(s), at which point the gift contract will be made and you will be expected to report back upon safe delivery of the item(s).

These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and any disputes will be decided only by the English courts.
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

Tim I used to have a large fancy dress company. I've used the model you've pictured on a couple of occasions.

I can arrange a meet and greet with Sarah (the bumble bee model) although I do believe her fee was £300 per day and unfortunately don't think choccy hobnobs will substitute.
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

How about 300 jars of honey instead of money? ;)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

rich2000k wrote:Tim I used to have a large fancy dress company. I've used the model you've pictured on a couple of occasions.

I can arrange a meet and greet with Sarah (the bumble bee model) although I do believe her fee was £300 per day and unfortunately don't think choccy hobnobs will substitute.
Hi rich

Wow - it's a small world ! Who'da thought it - I got that image off google, as I thought it might generate a bit of a buzz for Eric.

Maybe we can get an autographed copy of the print so he can hang it on his wall ? That might be a bit cheaper than £300....

I just hope the piccy wasn't taken many years ago and "Sarah" is now a size 20+ grandmother ;)

regards
Tim
rich2000k

Post by rich2000k »

Ha Ha

We really need a like button lol
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

We really need a like button lol
Yes! That would be amazing!!
UBT - Eric
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Eric »

Like this?

UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Perfect, Eric :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

I shall be pinching that for future use Eric  :D
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Could Tim get a like button installed for us?? :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:Could Tim get a like button installed for us?? :D
Hi Chris,

At the moment, the answer is no...

This is because Darren is in sole control of the forum software and it's functionality - it's a pretty old version we have here too and although Darren set up a newer version of the forum software last year as a trial, (which worked fine) sadly, he didn't progress this and carry out a formal upgrade on the live server.

So, there a few new functions on the new software that we don't have access to until Darren can sort it out. And that could happen next week, next month or maybe by 2025... :(

I would hope that Darren will get back in contact soon so that this can be resolved......but he's not been easy to contact :(

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Darn it :(

Maybe, if we have our computers on enough, we could generate enough heat to make Darren contact us ;)

Anyway, I hope it's soon that we get it sorted...
UBT - Eric
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Eric »

Hello

It looks like my laptop has died :(

I was messing around with the power supply lead and it got pulled out of the back of the laptop and it seems to have shorted something as the laptop won't switch on now.

And I was doing so well too. Have to take it to the local shop and see what it'll cost to fix :(

Probably far more than it's worth, knowing my luck.

(I'm on a friends PC so I can let you all know).
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Eric,

That's a shame, hopefully only a brief pause in your charge up the charts though.

If it is uneconomical to fix, you can get a second hand Windows 7 laptop off Ebay for ~£50 last time I looked?

Mark
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Sorry to hear about it, Eric, and here is a link to a good looking laptop on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkP ... 33a0225441

It is more than £50, but I can vouch that it is a good type of laptop - my dad has had one for years, and he finds that it runs like a dream :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Eric,

Hope you get it sorted soon....of course, getting hold of someone who can repair it might be tricky, as many laptops are quite highly condensed so they aren't so easy to work on and you might find that labour costs are pretty high - of course it depends on what's wrong with it ;)

Depending on the laptop, you might find someone on ebay selling off a similar or identical model to yours and then use it "as is" or cannibalise it and make your one work again.

Other than that, and assuming you can afford it, PC World usually do deals at Easter (and at other times of the year too) - they have some HP laptops going for £319 and there are cheaper ones if you don't want something so "bling-tastic"...!!

I quite like this purple one:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-n ... 7-pdt.html

Or there are others from £179:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-n ... teria.html

regards
Tim