Forum sections update

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Forum sections update

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I've added / edited some of the forum sections, updating their names along the lines of the BOINC wiki, and the projects that are covered by each section.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php?sort=area

If you see anything that needs moving / updating then please let me know.

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I've been thinking about creating a new "Archive" sub-section, for OLD postings that haven't been replied to, either because the thread came to an end or people lost interest.

This would de-clutter some of the project folders and might make it easier to find more current stuff...although the "Search" function at the top of the forum header, does make it quite easy to find topics or posts.

So, the "cut-off" might be along the lines of "posts that are older than 5 years" (from current date).

Just wondering whether anyone thinks this is a good idea...?

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

Sounds like you're just making work for yourself.

I assume the archived posts will take up as much server space as when they were un-archived so no saving there?

Unanswered posts will inevitably drift to the bottom of each page and fall off onto the next page so they won't be cluttering up anyones view.

Personally, I always use the 'new messages since last visit' link at the top of the page to find any new posts so very rarely go wandering around the actual project folders looking for posts, I tend to remember where any topics I'm particularly interested in are.

Just my tuppence :)

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments.

Indeed, it is making more work for myself....and the "improvements" would be minor, at least as far as the server goes....

I was just thinking of ways to make the current/recent messages (esp concerning "current" BOINC projects) more easy to read about....and by the same token, archiving off posts and topics about projects that have now finished.

It's not a job I intend to do straight away - more likely something that will happen in the quieter months ahead....and I'm also considering how to make it easier so we can update the phpBB software in due course.

So, thanks for your tuppence - I'll raise you a farthing :)

regards
Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

For my 2 groats worth I wouldn't bother about it (Happy New Year BTW). It's not often, but I do sometimes look for old posts and it's usually easy enough.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mike

And a HNY to you and yours too :)

My "thinking" about this is to just keep things fresh and "on topic" as regards all the current messages.

So, maybe, for the closed projects, I'd just lump them together in an archive section and leave it at that.

regards
Tim