Ports

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Halifax-lad

Ports

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

I am trying to use a specific port for something but it seems its in use already by something else, any one know how I can check to see what is assigned to a certain port number?
James Box

Post by James Box »

Which OS and which port number?

You can usually look these things up.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Ports

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I am trying to use a specific port for something but it seems its in use already by something else, any one know how I can check to see what is assigned to a certain port number?
There are plenty of "network port analysers" on the market - many are free try b4 you buy types.

Most will monitor which port is in use. A few should tell you which program is controlling the port.

Alternatively, run the analyser, which usually runs in "real time" and then shut down (in turn) various programs and see which ports are then NOT reported as in use.

BTW: Which port do you need to check?

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

I need to check Port 3074, as I keep getting this message from my router, when I try to set up port forwarding Port conflict with other service.
James Box

Post by James Box »

Your router should tell you what services are using which ports...

I take it this is for your Xbox Live connection
UBT - Halifax-lad

James Box wrote:Your router should tell you what services are using which ports...

I take it this is for your Xbox Live connection
No options within router settings to see which ports are in use, yes it it for the 360, works more or less fine already used need to open this last port.

I have a support ticket raised with Netgear, just waiting for them to reply
UBT - Halifax-lad

Tech Support got back to me, was as simple as reinstalling all the firmware in chronological order, hitting the reset button on the router and reconfiguring it, my Xbox can now connect correctly 8)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Tech Support got back to me, was as simple as reinstalling all the firmware in chronological order, hitting the reset button on the router and reconfiguring it, my Xbox can now connect correctly 8)

Ah ha... you didn't mention that you'd been fiddling around with the firmware.... :wink:

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:Ah ha... you didn't mention that you'd been fiddling around with the firmware.... :wink:
I hadn't the router must have got confused somewhere along the lines, so Tech Support said it would be best to strip all the firmware out reload it all then reset the configuration to be done again.

This time the router has not got confused