Pentathlon 2021 Challenge

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Pentathlon 2021 Challenge

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:38 pm

Hi all

It's time again to join in with another Pentathlon, as organised by SETI.Germany.

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/

The start date/time is 5th May 2021 at 00:01 UTC and the Challenge will take place over 2 weeks, with 5 different projects selected by the Challenge organisers, which will represent specific "events", such as a Marathon, (that takes 2 weeks) and other events taking place over a day or more.

I've enrolled UBT in the Challenge so all one has to do, to take part, is to crunch on specific projects on specific days. (Details of which will follow).

UPDATE:

This is a link to the overall stats for every team in this Challenge:

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_penta ... athlon.php

and here's a link to UBT's specific stats for this Challenge:

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_penta ... +Team.html

regards
Tim

Woodles
Active UBT Contributor 20+ yrs

Re: Pentathlon 2021 Challenge

Post by Woodles » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:57 pm

This is the complicated one isn't it, where projects overlap and the best three, one day sprints count?

Could be a challenge, I'm in :D

Note: Marathon project is SiDock, announced early by Natalia - https://www.sidock.si/sidock/forum_thread.php?id=114

... not that it matters, with a three day deadline you can't start bunkering before May 2nd and Seti Germany were due to announce the marathon project on April 30th. Just gives people a bit longer to hone their setups :)

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:32 am

Woodles wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:57 pm
This is the complicated one isn't it, where projects overlap and the best three, one day sprints count?

Could be a challenge, I'm in :D

Hi Mark

It's sorta complicated...the Marathon takes place over the entire 14 day Challenge, whilst the other 4 "events" take place within the Challenge period, with some events taking place over a few days and one event (featuring one project) taking place over 5 separate (and non-consecutive) days:

This was how the schedule looked last year:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=6596

The projects chosen for the 4 shorter events are announced a day or so beforehand.

I'll probably do a few of the events, if I remember to check which project has been picked for each event.

PS: The FB Sprint timetable was purposedly set to ensure it did not clash with the Pentathlon...so the 6th Sprint is from 21st-24th May.
Woodles wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:57 pm
Note: Marathon project is SiDock, announced early by Natalia - https://www.sidock.si/sidock/forum_thread.php?id=114

... not that it matters, with a three day deadline you can't start bunkering before May 2nd and Seti Germany were due to announce the marathon project on April 30th. Just gives people a bit longer to hone their setups :)
Yes - the choice was announced early by mistake, by Natalia (Nikitina) who is NOT the same Natalia (Makarova) who is a project scientist at ODLK/ODLK1.

Now if they were the SAME person, that would be a bit embarrassing, given the furore over ODLK being chosen for a FB Sprint...!!

And SiDock are moving servers too in the lead up to the Pentathlon, plus their tasks have (currently) 3 day deadlines...so, bunkering would be tricky, IF tasks are even available.

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:26 pm

Hi all

For those getting involved with the Pentathlon Challenge this year, here's a list of events:

I'll try and keep the list updated throughout, as and when projects are announced.

Events and dates for Pentathlon - times tweaked so as to not cause confusion about when 00:00 occurs on a certain day:

Marathon: SiDock - 14 days
Start: 05 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 18 May 2020 23:59 UTC (aka 1 minute before 19 May 00:00 UTC)

City Run: PrimeGrid - 5 days
Start: 08 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 12 May 2020 23:59 UTC

Cross Country: Einstein - 5 days
Start: 11 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 15 May 2020 23:59 UTC

Javelin Throw: WCG - Microbiome Immunity Project - 5x 1 day events
#1 Start: 06 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 06 May 2020 23:59 UTC

#2 Start: 08 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 08 May 2020 23:59 UTC

#3 Start: 10 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 10 May 2020 23:59 UTC

#4 Start: 14 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 14 May 2020 23:59 UTC

#5 Start: 18 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 18 May 2020 23:59 UTC

Sprint: NFS - 3 days
Start: 15 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 17 May 2020 23:59 UTC

Update: Here's the link for our overall Team stats on this Challenge:

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_penta ... +Team.html

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Tue May 04, 2021 2:31 pm

Hi all

Second project announced:

Javelin Throw: WCG - Microbiome Immunity Project - 1 day
#1 Start: 06 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 06 May 2020 23:59 UTC

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Wed May 05, 2021 3:44 pm

Hi all

Two more announcements:

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Thu May 06, 2021 1:16 pm

Hi all

And the next project is:

Cross Country: Einstein - 5 days
Start: 11 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 15 May 2020 23:59 UTC

regards
Tim

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Thu May 06, 2021 5:19 pm

Hi

Thanks for the updates. Minor problem with WCG in that they only export stats twice a day so we've been stuck on 8 tasks since this morning!
We're not last but not far off!

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_penta ... athlon.php

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

homefarm
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Post by homefarm » Thu May 06, 2021 6:52 pm

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:44 pm
Hi all

Two more announcements:

regards
Tim
HI Tim, I see the Cityrun is more up my street, with PG as the project.
Question: This is a team event, so I don't need to individually register with the Pentathlon ???

I will join in for the 5 days Cityrun, any other considerations please? Presumably any tasks within PG, eg highest scorers?

Thanks Richard

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Thu May 06, 2021 7:14 pm

homefarm wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:52 pm

Question: This is a team event, so I don't need to individually register with the Pentathlon ???

I will join in for the 5 days Cityrun, any other considerations please? Presumably any tasks within PG, eg highest scorers?

Thanks Richard
Hi Richard

Yup - this is a Team event and the team has been registered for inclusion in the Pentathlon stats. User registration is NOT required.

So all you need so is to submit ANY PG tasks during the period (and yes you CAN bunker them in advance, as this is not a project-led Challenge - it's been organised by a team - SETI.Germany - so any tasks uploaded AND issued with credit within the event period will count).

PS: It's the same with all the other "events" too, so if anyone wants to bunker any tasks, you can :-)

regards
Tim

homefarm

Post by homefarm » Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 pm

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:14 pm
homefarm wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks Richard
Hi Richard

Yup - this is a Team event and the team has been registered for inclusion in the Pentathlon stats. User registration is NOT required.

So all you need so is to submit ANY PG tasks during the period (and yes you CAN bunker them in advance, as this is not a project-led Challenge - it's been organised by a team - SETI.Germany - so any tasks uploaded AND issued with credit within the event period will count).

PS: It's the same with all the other "events" too, so if anyone wants to bunker any tasks, you can :-)

regards
Tim
Ta Tim :) I'll give it a good bash. I'm running all cores on WCG currently.
I will also do the Einstein, after PG.

I believe there will another discipline yet to be announced?

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Fri May 07, 2021 1:48 am

homefarm wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 pm

Ta Tim :) I'll give it a good bash. I'm running all cores on WCG currently.
I will also do the Einstein, after PG.

I believe there will another discipline yet to be announced?
Hi Richard

Indeed - 2 more 1 day events involving WCG (though currently no specific dates given) and 1x 3 day event for a currently unknown project and over unknown dates.

(see the this post (viewtopic.php?f=98&t=6814&p=133795#p133778) once I know the dates as and when they are announced ).

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Fri May 07, 2021 1:53 am

Hi all

The 3rd dates for the WCG event has now been announced:

#3 Start: 10 May 2020 00:01 UTC
End: 10 May 2020 23:59 UTC

regards
Tim

homefarm

Post by homefarm » Fri May 07, 2021 9:25 am

HI

RE PG The PPS sieves are running at 548k, presumably as everyone is going for the high scores.

This may result in very abnormally high pending scores for everyone, which in turn may affect the Pentathlon results. It will depend on whether the rules include pending scores or not.

It might even be tactically sound to switch to WW (another high scorer) for some of the time to spread the validation of credits between tasks.

Just a thought.

Richard

Addendum: Sieves tasks in progress running at 628K. I have 23 Million pending so I hope they count. I ran a 3 day bunker on all GPUs.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat May 08, 2021 11:38 am

Hi Richard

Thanks to your PG contribution, the team has shot up from 24th to 18th place...(in the overall team rankings)... :-)
This may result in very abnormally high pending scores for everyone, which in turn may affect the Pentathlon results. It will depend on whether the rules include pending scores or not.
I'm not sure if "pending" credits are actually included in team credits - as far as I know, the Pentathlon stats only count the team credit totals on which to base their league tables - so hopefully they are not counted until the pendings are validated then they should count as "extra" credits to add to those already counted. :-)

I've just uploaded a WCG bunker so that might help a little...and I'll be crunching some PG tasks for the next 2-3 days and then I'll switch to Einstein, so that event earns some credits.

regards
Tim

Woodles
Active UBT Contributor 20+ yrs

Post by Woodles » Sat May 08, 2021 12:38 pm

Asteroids has ran out of work so I'll move any GPUs without a cache onto Primegrid for a while, can't let Richard have all the fun :)

adrianxw

Post by adrianxw » Sat May 08, 2021 3:32 pm

I found out about the pentathlon from a note SiDock posted a couple of days before the start. I tried to register our team, but registration had closed, so I could not. I did see the team here had entered, and figured, as I am English, that I could crunch here for a bit to help. I would need some help as to how I could achieve this though. Unfortunately it took such a long time to get myself "approved" in order to ask my questions, the event had been running for days and my 4GHz i7's are happily munching SiDock amongst other things, without being able to contribute.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat May 08, 2021 3:51 pm

adrianxw wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:32 pm
I found out about the pentathlon from a note SiDock posted a couple of days before the start. I tried to register our team, but registration had closed, so I could not. I did see the team here had entered, and figured, as I am English, that I could crunch here for a bit to help.
Hi Adrian - and welcome to the forum :-)

Thanks for the message - I'm glad you've been able to login now (since I approved your account earlier today - I'm sorry it took a couple of days, but I've had some email issues so didn't see your email until this morning - I actually see lots of forum membership requests so I tend to leave it for a couple of days, esp if the person is "new" to BOINC, as then I can check if your account is actually "real").

Regarding the Pentathlon - UBT "involves itself" in many of these types of Challenges, so you should always check on this forum first to see if we (as a team) have joined a specific Challenge - we almost always do. ;-)
adrianxw wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:32 pm
I would need some help as to how I could acheive this though. Unfortunately it took such a long time to get myself "approved" in order to ask my questions, the event had been running for days and my 4GHz i7's are happily munching SiDock amongst other things, without being able to contribute.
The SiDock event is over 14 days, so all you need to do is to use BOINC Manager to utilise as many CPU cores as you want, so that you can crunch some tasks and they will be added to the team total on this project, as long as you have actually joined UBT on the SiDock website.

I looked here and cannot see any stats for your forum username on our SiDock team - unless you are using a different name for BOINC?

https://classic.boincstats.com/en/stats ... t/0/0/56/0.

I've looked here too:

https://www.sidock.si/sidock/team_membe ... t&offset=0

and cannot see your username?

So, I looked here:

https://classic.boincstats.com/en/stats ... /#adrianxw

So, any SiDock credits you have been crunching, WOULD have been included in the UBT total, BUT only IF you were joined to UBT in the first place - and that's irrespective of whether you had joined the forum.

In fact all your recent SiDock credits, have been credited to the BOINC@Denmark team - though sadly, as you found out, BOINC@Denmark seem NOT to be involved with the Pentathlon:

https://classic.boincstats.com/en/stats ... t/0/0/41/0

If you want to switch teams on SiDock project, (even if just temporarily) then just go here:

https://www.sidock.si/sidock/team_display.php?teamid=56

re: Tips

Please feel free to ask any questions about setting up BOINC Manager with regards to any of the projects - we're here to help :-)

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat May 08, 2021 6:09 pm

Woodles wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:38 pm
Asteroids has ran out of work so I'll move any GPUs without a cache onto Primegrid for a while, can't let Richard have all the fun :)
Hi Mark

Excellent :-)

Hopefully, your additional firepower will have a nice impact too ;-)

regards
Tim

homefarm

Post by homefarm » Sat May 08, 2021 6:14 pm

Woodles wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:38 pm
HI Mark

My pendings are 25 mill and seem to be growing; so I decided to move 1 fast GPU onto WW. It's lower credit as I'm running 3 x PPS concurrently on each GPU (seems to be my optimum in credit/second) but it will slow the pendings.

I have a feeling pendings do not qualify unless they hold the scores until all pendings are validated on each sub-project.

I was aiming for 100 mill raw credit over 5 days. Not sure where to find out re the pendings?

Good luck Richard

PS I just emailed DeleteNull on PG messages, as I think he may know the exact scheme of things.

PPS Wolfgang says "Pentathlon only counts validated results" So we need to think tactically (ummmm) :lol: