BOINC Pentathlon 2019

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I've just received the folowing notification/invitation, for us to take part in the forthcoming Pentathlon 2019.
here we go again. From 05 May to 19 May, the tenth BOINC Pentathlon
[https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/]

will impose the known, but also new challenges, and SETI.Germany warmly invites all enthusiast teams to join.

While the basic concept of five disciplines at five projects of course remains untouched, there are again some innovations
[see also https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_penta ... Rules.html]:

Javelin Throw is a fresh and new discipline and requires the teams to cleverly split their resources, as the rankings are not based on the sum of all
points, but only on each team's third best day out of five (not necessarily consecutive) days. This year's Marathon will take place at a subproject of the World Community Grid chosen by the project administrators. The preferences of the participating teams are taken into account, with some limitations, for choosing the projects for the other disciplines.

Until 27 April, the teams can sign up and vote for their favorite
projects using this form:
https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_penta ... p?&lang=en.

(admin note: I've already done this :-) )

So, don't be shy and join:

It will be exciting again at the BOINC Pentathlon!
So, if anyone wants to take part, then just crunch on the selected projects at the time !!

regards
Tim

Note: This does clash slightly with the 5th Sprint from 9th-12th May.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

The first problem I see is the marathon being WCG, UBT doesn't do well at WCG :(

I think I'll be staying with personal/Formula Boinc targets.

Mark
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

I do WCG anyway, so I will probably just concentrate efforts on the chosen subproject(s) even if it doesn't lead anywhere!
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

For those interested in doing specific project for the Pentathlon, here are the chosen projects and the dates when credits will be counted:

Marathon: OpenZIKA (a WCG subproject) - 5th May at 0:01 UTC - 18th May at 23:59:59 UTC (duration 14 days)

Javelin Throw #1 of 5: NFS - 6th May at 0:01 UTC - 6th May at 23:59:59 UTC (duration 1 day)
Javelin Throw #2 of 5: NFS - 9th May at 0:01 UTC - 9th May at 23:59:59 UTC (duration 1 day)
Javelin Throw #3 of 5: NFS - 13th May at 0:01 UTC - 13th May at 23:59:59 UTC - (duration 1 day)
Javelin Throw #4 of 5: NFS - 15th May at 0:01 UTC - 15th May at 23:59:59 UTC - (duration 1 day)
Javelin Throw #5 of 5: NFS - 17th May at 0:01 UTC - 17th May at 23:59:59 UTC - (duration 1 day)

City Run: Yoyo - 6th May at 0:01 UTC - 10th May at 23:59:59 UTC (duration 5 days)

Cross-Country: Einstein - 11th May at 0:01 UTC - 15th May at 23:59:59 UTC (duration 5 days)

Sprint: LHC@home - 16th May at 0:01 UTC - 18th May at 23:59:59 UTC (duration 3 days)

(Add one hour for BST times)

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/

regards
Tim

Updated: 6th May - added second NFS Javelin throw date
9th May - added Einstein for X-Country event
11th May - added 2x more NFS@home event dates
13th May - added LHC@home for Sprint event
15th May - added final NFS@home event date
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

Worth pointing out that the Javelin throw is run on five separate (not consecutive) days and the third best score out of five is the one that counts. So any team needs at least three good scores to be in with a chance, trying once then not bothering for the next four occasions will give a low counting score.

ie. Team A, not really trying: scores 1,000 / 1,100 / 989 / 1,050 / 975. Score entered is 1,000
Team B, trying first then getting distracted: scores 10,000 / 9,894 / 721 / 950 / 863. Score entered is 950.

Mark
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Just done a few OpenZIKA just to see what the credits are like

On this PC they take around 2.5 hours for an average of around 65 credits each. Not much but WCG is a poor payer anyway.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Here's a link to shows the live stats for UBT on this Challenge.

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_penta ... +Team.html

Thanks to Mark (and his efforts), {edit} we've done pretty well on the Yoyo event, so as a Team we've moved up from 24th to 21st place.

Still some way to go.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:43 amThanks to Mark (and his efforts), we did pretty well on the Yoyo event, so as a Team we've moved up from 24th to 21st place.
Hi Tim,

The Yoyo event is still ongoing (finishes on the 11th) and my contribution was purely accidental, I was speculatively loading up on long deadline tasks for the FB sprint and Yoyo has month long deadlines. Once NFS was announced as the FB sprint then I dropped my Yoyo bunkers, I don't have any more to contribute.

The second javelin "sprint" and the fifth FB sprint overlap by two hours tonight and if bunkers are dropped promptly, they'll count for both so we might do well in the javelin as well (although I expect other teams have the same idea)

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I reckon I'll have quite a few NFS tasks left over by midnight tonight (when the 3rd Javelin event ends) - and once my existing completed tasks have been uploaded and I've loaded up a couple of days worth of NFS tasks too), I'm going to set "Network access off" after midnight and then I should be able to upload 2 days worth of tasks on Wednesday (before the 4th Javelin event ends).

So, if anyone else is up for this, we might gain some points on the Pentathlon :-)

Also: If you have any spare CPU capacity, the Marathon event is still ongoing until 18th May at 23:59 where WCG (sub-project OpenZika) was chosen as the project.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:39 pm
I reckon I'll have quite a few NFS tasks left over by midnight tonight (when the 3rd Javelin event ends) - and once my existing completed tasks have been uploaded and I've loaded up a couple of days worth of NFS tasks too), I'm going to set "Network access off" after midnight and then I should be able to upload 2 days worth of tasks on Wednesday (before the 4th Javelin event ends).
Damn...I forgot that the Javelin discipline only gives points for the 3rd best credit score...

Currently:
Date: Placing - Credits
06 May - 23th - 18 ,660
09 May - 20th - 130 ,074
13 May - 16th - 331, 672
15 May - 22nd - 71,244
17 May - 22nd - 125,228 - 3rd best score in the end :-)

I shouldn't have uploaded my credits from today and should have bunkered them until Friday.... :-(

oh well...at least the project will benefit from the completed tasks ;-)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Just about 6 hours to go until the end of the 5th and final NFS Event.

Thus far, our 3rd best credit score is for todays uploads and it currently sits at 83,888.

To leap one position (to get to 22nd place) we need a total of at least 92,839, in order to beat Chinese Dream.

(21st or higher positions are pretty much out of reach, sadly).

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_penta ... llengeid=2

So, a shade under 9,000 credits.

Based on the 16e tasks, which earn 130 credits per task (and which take about one hour each) we need 68 tasks - that's 11 tasks an hour until 01:00 BST - or 11 CPUs....and I've got just 11 CPU's available....so we might just do it, based on my own uploads...but if anyone else can spare a few CPUs, then please join in ;-)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

Since it's for a good cause :)

I've suspended Gerasim on one of my dual Xeons, I can't remember what the exact task times were for this host (and NFS has cleared all the results) but you've got 32 cores for the next five and a half hours.

HTH

Mark

Edit Go on, I'll make it 64 cores then :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Mission accomplished, back to Gerasim :)

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:34 pm Hi Tim,

Since it's for a good cause :)

I've suspended Gerasim on one of my dual Xeons, I can't remember what the exact task times were for this host (and NFS has cleared all the results) but you've got 32 cores for the next five and a half hours.

HTH

Mark

Edit Go on, I'll make it 64 cores then :D
Hi Mark

Excellent - many thanks for the extra CPUs...and with your help, we've achieved 22nd place - little victories like this all help the overall cause... :-)

I'm going to switch over to WCG (OpenZika) for the next day and see if we can improve on our current 25th place with 1,692,696 credits - behind SETIKAH@KOREA and their 1,882,938 credits...so, lagging behind by 190,239 - our hourly totals seems to be about 4,339 per hour, while theirs is 3,791 - so we might run out of time on this. :-(

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_penta ... llengeid=1

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

So, a pretty lame 24th place out of 29 was achieved. :-(

24th on the Marathon (WCG - OpenZika)
22nd on Javelin (NFS@home)
19th on City Run (yoyo@home)
22nd on Cross Country (Einstein)
25th on Sprint (LHC@home)

Unless circumstances change, I won't be registering UBT for next years Pentathlon as there seems to be little point :-(

However: Big congratulations to TSBT, who nailed it and achieved 1st place in ALL disciplines !!

Goes to show what happens if enough team members get behind a challenge and push their abilities to the max (and before any one questions it, I'm pretty sure they had some help from some temporary members as well ;-) ). And where's the harm in that ??

regards
Tim