why are these events over the weekend

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
rimmer66
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

why are these events over the weekend

Post by rimmer66 »

I like to contribute when i can to the challenges and sprints , but the problem is that they are run over the weekend.
the only reason i have a powerful pc is for gaming , mostly flight sim , and its at the weekend that i want to do this,
i can`t crunch and fly i have to exit boinc and so no credits ,

ah but i may be looking at this from the wrong end , it might be so powerful business machines can be used ,
but the average gamer has more pc power than the average business.

any thoughts ?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: why are these events over the weekend

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hiya

The Formula BOINC Sprints take place on the same weekends as Formula One racing...so that's why these Sprint events take place at this time.

Many other challenges are related to specific "calendar dates" of other notable events and hence they may take place during the week.

As far as your specific PC is concerned, BOINC Manager can be used at the same time if you are playing games, as BOINC Manager can run on just one or two CPU cores...and I am sure you can limit the number of cores that the game can use with some games running on a PC.

So, if you have a 4 core or 8 core PC, BOINC can be set to use (say) just 2 cores, leaving you another 2 (or more) cores for gaming.

The other issue of course is regards to games using GPUs to provide realistic game play. In this case, you can't really use your GPU for BOINC *and* games at the same time.

Finally, you could run BOINC when you aren't gaming - but some people tend to shutdown their PC when not in use, so this too will limit your potential involvement.

It all boils down to the hardware you have and how much of its resources you want to dedicate to BOINC and how much to gaming. In the end though, even if you only run BOINC for a couple of hours per week, that still better than nothing. :-)

regards
Tim
rimmer66

Post by rimmer66 »

hi tim
my pc runs 24/7 , and thank you for your advice , but unfortunatly i am unable to shut down bits of my cpu and still enjoy stutter free flight
rimmer66

Post by rimmer66 »

sorry i have been drinking , but still my undrunk question stands
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Dave,

Question asked and answered - the sprints run at the same time as the Formula 1 Grand Prix races ... and they're always at the weekends.

(Probably best not to drink and fly :D )

Mark