11th Birthday Challenge

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

11th Birthday Challenge

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I've just had this invitation to join the above Challenge, if anyone is interested ? I've joined the team to this challenge, so the rest is up to you - just crunch some WCG WU's during the period and your credits will be included on our teams total during the challenge :)
For Nov 16th to Nov 22th 2015 SETI.Germany is arranging a challenge at World Community Grid on the occasion of the grids 11th birthday:

We would like to invite UK BOINC Team to participate in the challenge and hope that your team and many members of your team will be joining and participating this event.

More information and statistics regarding the challenge can be found here. http://www.seti-germany.de/wcg/1_en_Welcome.html

Your participation is very much appreciated.
The teams who have signed up for this are shown here:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... ngeId=7496

edit: If you HAVEN'T joined the WCG project, then click on this link to automatically sign-up and join our Team:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/disco ... 9TGC4G1RP1

Then just go to BOINC Manager and "Add" the WCG project. Simples :)

edit: The Cruncathon lasts just ONE week, from Monday 16th Nov until the following Sunday. Some WCG work units are quite long, so it might be a good idea to start 2-3 days before hand, in order to build up a head of steam !!

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Francis McDermott
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Francis McDermott »

Thanks Tim,

That's enough notice for me to make sure all of my other project tasks have been processed and build up a small backlog to send in when it starts :)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Francis McDermott wrote:Thanks Tim,

That's enough notice for me to make sure all of my other project tasks have been processed and build up a small backlog to send in when it starts :)
Excellent !

We've not done that well in previous WCG challenges...but, maybe, just maybe, we can do better this time around? :)

regards
Tim
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Yes, count me in. It`s some time since I did any WCG.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Yes, count me in. It`s some time since I did any WCG.
Hi Rick

Thanks for your support as well.

I've just done a few WCG WU's as I've not done any for a while either...and they all crunched very nicely...so, I'll be putting a wee bit of effort into WCG during the time-frame of the Crunchathon :)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I did a quick "direct email" via the WCG website over the weekend. Sadly, only approx 150 of the nearly 500 members "allow" Founders to contact them. So, if you didn't receive the email, then feel free to change your preferences on your WCG account :)

The idea of the email was to hopefully get a few more members involved, on the Crunchathon and/or on the forum.

Will have to see how it pans out - it's a big shame that the standard BOINC project software doesn't allow Founders to contact their members directly....as it would help, I think, if people could be given regular updates on specific projects as to what's going on, within the team and relating to the team participation on the project.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi al,

Just over a week to go to the WCG 11th birthday Crunch !!

As mentioned I've already signed the team up to it, so to get involved all you need do is crunch some WCG workunits, between the aforementioned dates....and any credits you earn will automatically be included in the stats :)

I'm going to be starting "early", maybe around this coming Thursday (12th) so, that we can get a good start !!

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

WCG always needs a boost so I'm starting a few today just to see how this old PC can stand them!

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

This challenge is now underway.

Please join in, if you can - it would be nice if we can do some "good" on the WCG project, as it's one of the few projects that actually can bring benefits to humankind, as most of the sub-projects relate to resolving medical conditions.

EDIT: The latest stats for this challenge can be found here:

http://www.seti-germany.de/wcg/stats_te ... CG&lang=en

As of today, 17th Nov, we're in 32nd place out of 93 (or so) teams...so, I don't think we'll finish last (or end with "null points")

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

So, at the end of the event, we've finished 34th out of 95 teams.

I'd like to thanks everyone who participated in this and hope that perhaps next year, if the event happens again, that maybe we'll do a bit better.?

It will be a tough call though, as to get into the Top 10, we'd need to increase our efforts by TEN FOLD.

And to be the Top UK Team, we'd need to increase by just over 6.5 times. (As "UK" team has thrashed us, this time out).

You can see the final results here:

http://www.seti-germany.de/wcg/stats_te ... CG&lang=en

regards
Tim