Challenge accepted...

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
Swissnic

Challenge accepted...

Post by Swissnic »

Hey Gregory,

Okay, I've dedicated 2 machines to CPDN SA, so the race is on!!!

;o)))

See you on top of the leaderboard!  

Cheers, Nic.
Last edited by Swissnic on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Nice to see an internal mini challenge.

BOINC is concentrating on the BBC project at the moment for me.

Edit: Crashed the WU, but never mind got a new one I'm working on now, that's what you get for installing a unstable test version of BOINC :lol:
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Should give me a little while to catch up then...

Also, if I can add 1,000 RAC to the team, should give us a chance at challenging any team running...  :D
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

This is so good  :D
With UBT - Flinger, SwissNic and myself also joining and busy crunching we can be NUMBER ONE in the world on RAC.

Any more to join? Come on team a wu is only about 18 days on a good machine (1 GB memory though) - not the long long time of the other climate projects.

We are number 5 in the world and with a little more help could start to overtake USA, Ars Technica and SetiGermany (and those teams take some passing in other projects)
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

This should be fun!

I wonder whether UBT is able to recruit some of the other UK-based high scorers on the SA project that aren't in teams at the moment. Pardeep Pall (Whom I believe is the developer of the CPDN SA project; no longer crunches but has a huge 194,029 credits, and is the world #1), Andrew Hingston, and procion2 all come to mind. By my calculations, that way UBT would jump straight into first place, and have the top RAC in the world. So, we'd be extending our lead.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

gregoryw wrote:This should be fun!

I wonder whether UBT is able to recruit some of the other UK-based high scorers on the SA project that aren't in teams at the moment. Pardeep Pall (Whom I believe is the developer of the CPDN SA project; no longer crunches but has a huge 194,029 credits, and is the world #1), Andrew Hingston, and procion2 all come to mind. By my calculations, that way UBT would jump straight into first place, and have the top RAC in the world. So, we'd be extending our lead.
Hi Gregory,

The only way we can recruit these guys is by making personal contact with them, either through the SA forum, or by looking at their project profile and seeing if they publish their email addresses on a website somewhere.

We were able to recruit some CPDN team members in the last few months, simply because those crunchers were members of our Team for one (or more) non-CPDN projects, and hence as Team founder, I had access to their personal email addresses. So I pinged them an "invitation" and a number of crunchers jumped shipped and were kind enough to join us.

But I can only do that if the email address is known....

Care to do some digging?

Then I can create a new lovingly worded "invitation"... :D

regards,

Tim
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

There is an Andrew Hingston in both CPDN and Seasonal. The A Hingston in CPDN is a member of team United Kingdon and has a profile leading to
http://www.amhinja.demon.co.uk/
Is he worth a try

:wink:
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Looking good already chaps!  In fact UK BOINC earned the MOST credit today out of all teams!!! Todays Daily credit:

#1 BOINC Synergy   3,528
#2 SETI.Germany     2,736
#3 Ars Technica        1,872
#4 USA                    3,024
#5 UK BOINC Team  4,104    

I have one more machine to add tomorrow.  The P-M 2Ghz with 1gb DDR.  It's quite a quick little bugger for a lappy.  That will start tomorrow!

At this rate, will be in #4 in 6 days!  ;o)))

Cheers, Nic.
Last edited by Swissnic on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

What the hell have stopped the BBC WU for now, SAP will run very shortly once a SETI WU has completed

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - JohnR wrote:There is an Andrew Hingston in both CPDN and Seasonal. The A Hingston in CPDN is a member of team United Kingdon and has a profile leading to
http://www.amhinja.demon.co.uk/
Is he worth a try

:wink:
Yup, thanks for that. I'll get in touch as we've already "converted" a few "United Kingdom" members to join our merry band....!

regards,

Tim
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

I see, via BOINCstats, that jaysback has joined the CPDN SA effort as well. Welcome! :D

If we (and team "USA") keep going at today's rate then we'll be overtaking them into 4th place at about 16:00 on Wednesday.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

He He passed them today.  :D

Now in 4th place in the world

:blob:  bouncing Up
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

Gotta love the way we've sped up on CPDN SA over the last few days:
http://www.boincstats.com/stats/compare ... id%5B%5D=8

Congrats all!  :wav:

Now to rein in Ars Technica...
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

:D   Yeah - we've got 4 outta 5 best days in the last week!!!  LOL

Best five days

Date           Credit
2006-05-25  17,712
2006-07-08  5,328
2006-07-05  4,608
2006-07-11  4,392
2006-07-09  4,104
UBT - Halifax-lad

This from SAP
We've now reached more than 1,000 completed simulations! Very many thanks to all of you who have contributed to reaching this milestone - we're about halfway there. We've also generated some more simulations to be run as the current pool was running low.
So we need to get to number 1 before it closes down which looks like it may be away off yet.
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

gregoryw wrote:Gotta love the way we've sped up on CPDN SA over the last few days:
http://www.boincstats.com/stats/compare ... id%5B%5D=8

Congrats all!  :wav:

Now to rein in Ars Technica...
And this is we look so far...

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/compare ... id%5B%5D=6

1 day away - v. nice![url]
Havoc
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Crunching

Post by Havoc »

Crunching hard on my main PC for this cause, its capable of crunching two units at once, but its dam slow on the 2nd WU, so I generally allow it to knock out a few Seti's or Einsteins instead of a second CPDN.

Once the Mega Mini-Summer Crunch is done I'll devote more time to this project and allow my pc to two WU at once.  8)

BTW some of you guys either have some fine pc's or access to a lot of them to clock up your scores daily.  :twisted:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Crunching

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Havoc wrote:.....BTW some of you guys either have some fine pc's or access to a lot of them to clock up your scores daily.  :twisted:

Hi "Havoc"

Welcome to the Team !

It has to be said that some of our Team do indeed have access to quite a a large assortment of PC's with which to crank out some WU's in double quick time.

On the other hand, with around 600 members (of which about 50% are active), everyone's contribution helps the cause - so whether you have a huge farm of work PC's or a single CPU running 9-5, 5 days a week, it ALL helps....and everyones contribution, whether large or small is fully appreciated and gratefully received.

To coin a phrase: "Every little helps"....

regards,

Tim
Swissnic

Re: Crunching

Post by Swissnic »

Havoc wrote:BTW some of you guys either have some fine pc's or access to a lot of them to clock up your scores daily.  :twisted:
Hi Havoc - Welcome!

Your RAC builds up over time, so don't let the figures fool you until you have built up over 30 days of history.

I run an Athlon64 4000+, and Athlon64 3500+, a Dual Opteron 242, two P4-3.06Ghz's, and a P4-M 2Ghz.  Basically, a couple of home machines, a couple of work machines, a work laptop and my dad's computer...  Not that many to attain a decent position in the UK!

As Timbo said, we're in need of every last drop of cpu time on this project - so doesn't matter if your fighting for the #1 cruncher spot, or bringing up the rear  :pottytrain2:  Your totally appreciated!  :D

Cheers, Nic.