Invitation to WCG's 6th Birthday Challenge

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
crille

Invitation to WCG's 6th Birthday Challenge

Post by crille »

Dear members of the UK BOINC Team,

For Nov 16th to Nov 22nd 2010 SETI.Germany is arranging a challenge at World Community Grid on the occasion of the grids sixth birthday:
The 6th Birthday Challenge

We would like to invite the UK BOINC Team to participate in the challenge and hope that many of you will be joining.

More information and statistics regarding the challenge can be found here.

Your participation is very much appreciated.
crille

This year we create a Teamview, that shows all the Badges of your team.
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

I think we might be able to field a decent team for this event, despite the notoriously poor credit.
I have e-mailed Tim, asking to put us on the competing teams list.
UBT - Rick Horn

Tim has now kindly signed us up to the challenge.
Let`s see if we can get a really good turn out, after all, it`s usually a once a year effort.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I'm in.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

I'll put some cores onto this.  :D

(well, when I'm not doing the PrimeGrid challenge that is)  :wink:
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

I'm a total ignoramus on WCG - never crunched it before.  I take it  from comments above its a CPU project.  If so, I have a 1090T and a phenom2 idle, so can put 10 cores into the pot for the Team if someone could kindly educate me on what app to download etc - I'll then get it running on both machines and sorted ready for the start time.

Edit:

Its ok - got the drift of it from their home page.  Ticked all sub-projects and let them decide what to crunch.  If its better to run a particular sub-project for the Team please let me know.

Regards
Zy
UBT - Rick Horn

Zydor wrote:  If its better to run a particular sub-project for the Team please let me know.

Zy
Most sub-projects on WCG have a a quorum of at least 2.
One of the newer projects, Computing for Clean Water, has a quorum of 1, which would save you the problem of waiting for a wingman to complete the task before you get credit.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

I will be giving this a shot, not done any for quite some time.
I see its a "point" scoring challenge
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... ngeId=3706
So what is the best sub-project to run?

b. :D
UBT - Rick Horn

UBT - bobuk wrote: So what is the best sub-project to run?

Probably as above (C4CW).

The actual credit level on individual sub-projects tends to be equally good/bad!!  :D
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Okie Doke - ta muchly - C4CW it is, I'll go nnw on the others to run down held WUs in time for the 16th

Regards
Zy
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Interesting - more observation than  anything ....

The WCG WUs have hardly affected my second machine GPU crunching.

Its clobbered my main machine tho, increases the MW GPU WU time by almost 2 secs, which doesnt sound much, but on that machine hits the daily total by about 35,000 credits.  Not exactly the end of life on planet earth as we know it, but its no incentive to stay there long term if the individual is a credit seeker with GPUs.

Regards
Zy
Naon

Post by Naon »

Yes, I am in for this one
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Cautionary tale  as a result of a dumb decision by me, likely related to other WUs, but sure happened to WCG ones.

Its the first time in being at WCG so I am at newb level with them. I fataly decided to give IE9 Beta a shot over the time I started WCG.  Sooo, happily downloaded the first WCG WUs as IE9 was downloading, installed IE9, started up the WCG WUs and all hell broke loose.

It was like  "will the last one turn out the lights"  :shock:   as over a period of about 5 seconds the running milkyway WUs fell over one by one, followed for desert by each of the stored 30 WCG WUs.  It works out that IE9 Beta still has grahics memory handling issues, and not yet quite nailed the handling of it using any on board GPU.

So looks at IE support advice "turn off use gpu" as a workaround for now till they fix it - apparently its a known Beta issue. Duely does so, and settles back to play with the new toy, and a fresh batch of WCG WUs.

Only to watch history repeat itself, and total another 20 WCGs and 4 MWs -  arrrgggh :banghead:

*Sigh" hard way to relearn the oldest lesson in the book, leave betas alone on live production machines.  So I retreated battered to normal crunch mode  :D

Such is life's sweet pattern ....

Regards
Zy
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

We'll never learn, Zydor, it's that 'beta' word that attracts us like moths to a lightbulb!  :wink:

I'm in for this challenge, just got to alter my subprojects.

PS: Does it start at midnight or 1am tonight?
UBT - Rick Horn

melter65 wrote: Does it start at midnight or 1am tonight?
Midnight.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:
melter65 wrote: Does it start at midnight or 1am tonight?
Midnight.
Thank You! :D
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

melter65 wrote:...... We'll never learn, Zydor, it's that 'beta' word that attracts us like moths to a lightbulb!  :wink: ....
Spot On  :thumbright:   Unfortunately that inbred curiosity at times gets the better of me, and despite that little whispering "you are going to regret this" ticking away in the logical part of the brain, away I go, and end up chin deep in the proverbial do-do  

But hey, its fun ..... I think  :mrgreen:

Regards
Zy
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

At least your little story stopped me downloading the E9 beta, thank you for that! :D