Formula Boinc sprint 18

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
Woodles
Active UBT Contributor 20+ yrs

Formula Boinc sprint 18

Post by Woodles » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:05 pm

10/08/2021 09:00 (UTC) - 10/11/2021 08:59 (UTC)
Yoyo@home
Might have to stay on after I've reached my current target ...

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Formula Boinc sprint 18

Post by UBT - Timbo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:51 pm

Hi Mark

Hope you are well.

I'm just ticking over on each of the FB Sprints...if only to keep some basic level of UBT interest going.

Sadly, my work hosts have stopped crunching due to a local power issue that happened some time shortly after 5:30am BST yesterday...and it's a bit too far to go there and sort it out.

And yes, they are preset, in the BIOS, to power back up again after a mains failure....unless the brownout has taken out the ATX PSUs - that has happened before :-(.

But there are 6 members who are (sort of) taking part - even if they don't know about FB !! (My YoYo stats are not showing on BOINCstats yet :-().

https://classic.boincstats.com/en/stats ... st/12/0/12

So, keep plugging away ;-)

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:35 pm

Hi again

Something else I spotted:

YoYo project announced on:
16 December 2020 GPU version for M Queens
We have now a first GPU version for the M Queens project for Windows. It requires an OpenCL 2.0 GPU. The version can be downloaded from github.com. The zip contains an installation instruction, the app and the app_info.xml.
The github link is here:

https://github.com/sudden6/m-queens/rel ... s-ocl-v0.1

I'm wondering if this is worth trying out, during this Sprint? Might be worth a shot, esp if crunching time is reduced or higher credits are awarded???

This is the readme.txt file contents:
To install the optimized solver for m-queens on yoyo@home perform the following steps:

1) Find the VRAM size of your GPU in GB
2) Choose the appropriate subfolder, e.g. 4GB cards will find the solver in the 4G directory in this archive
3) Find your BOINC data folder, for me it's: C:\ProgramData\BOINC\
3) Copy the files from the subfolder to C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo\
4) You should now have:
- C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo\app_info.xml
- C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo\m-queens2-boinc-ocl-<x>G.exe
- C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo\libOpenCL.dll

This has been tested and confirmed working with:
AMD Radeon RX550
AMD Radeon RX570
AMD Radeon RX580

Nvidia cards will not work since they don't support OpenCL 2.x

regards
Tim

UBT-mark3346
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT-mark3346 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:50 pm

I have tried to attach to the project and it doesn't even get as far e-mail address before failing - might this be connected to the certificate issues that are preventing uploads etc to some sites? (I know there are work arounds for some of them but not really in my comfort zone).

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:55 pm

UBT-mark3346 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:50 pm
I have tried to attach to the project and it doesn't even get as far e-mail address before failing - might this be connected to the certificate issues that are preventing uploads etc to some sites? (I know there are work arounds for some of them but not really in my comfort zone).
Hi

Not sure if it is certificate issues as works fine here. I've never detached from this project- been on it years - so no idea.

According to the zip files for M Queens "Nvidia cards will not work since they don't support OpenCL 2.x" According to GPUZ I've got OpenCL 3.0 CUDA - seems odd it won't run on a newer version, I'd have assumed backward compatibility - ho hum.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT-mark3346
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT-mark3346 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:34 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:55 pm
UBT-mark3346 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:50 pm
Hi

Not sure if it is certificate issues as works fine here. I've never detached from this project- been on it years - so no idea.

According to the zip files for M Queens "Nvidia cards will not work since they don't support OpenCL 2.x" According to GPUZ I've got OpenCL 3.0 CUDA - seems odd it won't run on a newer version, I'd have assumed backward compatibility - ho hum.

Mike
I was trying to add the standard project to boinc on another machine and it would not have it - it appears to connect ok on the machine it was already attached to (new one will also not add TN Grid which I am running at the moment on the old one)

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:29 pm

According to the YOYO message boards it is a license issue - https://www.rechenkraft.net/forum/viewt ... 56&t=17844

You need to replace the "ca-bundle.crt" file in your Boinc program directory with a new one.

There's copies at various locations on the web, I used the one from SRBase - https://srbase.my-firewall.org/sr5/down ... bundle.crt

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:55 pm

The GPU application is specific to the three cards mentioned, it doesn't even work on other AMD cards.

I've had a quick go at getting it to work on various NVidia cards and no luck, I don't think it'll work.

There's no mention in the server of which type of tasks are available so maybe it's been dropped?

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:56 pm

Hiya

There is a second release of the GPU app here:

https://github.com/sudden6/m-queens/rel ... s-ocl-v0.2

(The link on the Yoyo home page has not been updated).

The app is for WIndows and AMD GPU's.

The updated readme file says:
To install the optimized solver for m-queens on yoyo@home perform the following steps:

1) Find your BOINC data folder, for me it's: C:\ProgramData\BOINC\
2) Copy the files from the subfolder to C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo\
3) You should now have:
- C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo\app_info.xml
- C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo\m-queens2-boinc-ocl.exe
- C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo\libOpenCL.dll

This has been tested and confirmed working with:
AMD Radeon RX550
AMD Radeon RX570
AMD Radeon RX580
AMD Ryzen 5 with AMD Radeon(TM) RX Vega 11 Graphics

Nvidia cards will not work since they don't support OpenCL 2.x

So, slightly different installation instructions and an additional AMD GPU added to the list of supported hardware.

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:34 pm

Woodles wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:55 pm
The GPU application is specific to the three cards mentioned, it doesn't even work on other AMD cards.

I've had a quick go at getting it to work on various NVidia cards and no luck, I don't think it'll work.

There's no mention in the server of which type of tasks are available so maybe it's been dropped?
Hi Mark

The thread on the FB forum seems to indicate that the GPU app is alive and well and generating credits on the M Queens sub-project:

https://formula-boinc.org/forum/viewtop ... 6&start=10

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi all

Thanks for the efforts chaps...but it wasn't quite enough to secure a place in the points:

https://formula-boinc.org/sprint.py?spr ... &year=2021

And respects to those who did take part (knowingly or otherwise ;-) )

https://classic.boincstats.com/en/stats ... st/12/0/12

regards
Tim