VERY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT (updated)

Some posts were created and related to the v2.x forum, that was held on the previous domain. These posts have now been moved to this section, in order to prevent any confusion about which forum is being discussed.
UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

VERY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT (updated)

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi all,

I will shortly be MOVING this forum and re-opening a NEW one on a different domain.

So, for now, here is a WARNING that around the end of November 2015, this forum will be MOVED to a new domain and I will be directing members to sign up with the new forum, hosted elsewhere.

This forum will remain visible, but all sections will be LOCKED down to prevent any further posts - so it will be available for reference or for historical reasons for the time being. I will take a final backup at this point, just in case the domain name is not renewed or the webhosting ceases.

If, in the meantime, any php or mySQL wizards want to get in touch, then please PM me with your UK or Skype phone number and I'll call you back.

best regards and thanks for all the fish :)
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UBT - Mikee
Formula-BOINC Sprint contributor

Postby UBT - Mikee » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to just lock down this forum, open the new one and if anyone wanted to refer back they could just post a link to here? This forum would only be used for historical info - and even then I don't think it would be used that often, if at all.

The only thing that would need to be imported would be the memberlist.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:46 am

UBT - Mikee wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to just lock down this forum, open the new one and if anyone wanted to refer back they could just post a link to here? This forum would only be used for historical info - and even then I don't think it would be used that often, if at all.

The only thing that would need to be imported would be the memberlist.

Mike

Hi Mike

"Locking down" the forum is what I have now done (apart from this section, obviously !!).

I have no issue with making this forum for "viewing only", but no actual posts are now possible except here. (And there's no point having TWO active UBT forums).

Sadly, I can't import just the membership list (say as a CSV file) - unless Darren gets in touch (and by the way I have emailed him AGAIN so hopefully he'll help me out).

One thing I can do is to do a simple "cut and paste" of the entire membership list (as being admin, I can see everyones forum name, and email address (and other info which is maybe irrelevant) on just a few pages.

But I cannot see passwords...so although I can set up the members accounts, I'd have to give them all separate and unique passwords....and for 400+ accounts (though most aren't active) that's going to take some work.

So, I think it'd just be better asking people to re-register and they can pick their own password and set up their own avatar and other info as they like :)

regards
Tim

edit: I've changed the text above as I found a relatively easy way of locking sections, rather than having to lock each and every topic !!

UBT - Timbo
UBT admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi all,

Just a brief update.

I had hoped that exporting the existing forum and then importing it to a new forum would be easy....and that it would happen by today.

It hasn't been...and work is still ongoing to resolve the issues - mainly down to the fact that the newest phpBB forum software cannot import older v2.x databases directly and also that it runs on a later version of php, which the earlier version of phpBB doesn't work with. :(

So, I'm still hopeful of getting this sorted, and I will advise in due course what is happening. And with luck, it could all be sorted soon.

regards
Tim

Janos
The Scottish BOINC Team member

Re: VERY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Postby Janos » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:19 am

NOTE from Janos: The below text has been moved here after the database was restored - to keep a little bit of continuity.

Hi all,

So, since yesterday, Janos of TSBT has been spending a lot of his own time, re-building the "old" forum SQL database, because there is an issue on the backup that meant that not only could it not be converted to THIS forum software (which is v3.x), but it couldn't be imported into a forum running the same version (which is v2.x).

Janos spent most of Weds afternoon and evening sorting through many and various issues and then found that the membership table was completely missing from the database. And without that, no posts could be attributed to any specific member - so I was up until about 2am on Thurs morning, sorting that out.

I've been down to Cambridge today and, in my absence, Janos has worked a MAJOR miracle and the old forum has been resurrected.

There are a number of caveats though:

1) Memberships have been restored, but one will need to re-request a password (before you can log in), as all of these have been lost and new random passwords have been set.

2) All avatars linked to membership accounts have been lost - so you'll need to either upload one from your own PC, or go to your account on the old forum and "nick" an image from there.

3) All membership rankings and the number of posts each member has posted have been reset to zero. EDIT: These have actually been retained !!

4) The count of the number of views of all threads have been lost.

5) All polls and votes have been lost.

So, given the above, there are some possibilities open to us.

a) I'm happy to backup this forum (as it is now) and then restore the old forum and see how it goes. If people are happy with it, then I can "open up" the old sections for new posts.

Alternatively, I could leave these old sections locked and just create a few NEW sections which could effectively contain NEW posts as from (say) 1st Dec 2015 - with all "older posts" in sections marked as "closed".

This then gives us perhaps the best of both worlds.

b) If the restored "old" forum posts are not deemed "worthy" of being brought back to life on this forum, then we can just leave them residing on the old domain - and if/when Darren pulls the plug, then they will be lost.

c) I could restore the old forum onto another NEW forum, but keep it locked and just use THIS forum from now on.

If anyone has any comments, please feel free to reply.

BTW: If you are a FOUNDER for any BOINC project, please amend any project links to the UBT Forum, to THIS domain, which is: http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/newforum/

"Happiness can be defined as: a geek with non-work related code to write, no distractions and no deadline." - Janos

Return to “Old forum-related posts”