IMPORTANT - Feedback required :)

Some posts were created and related to the v2.x forum, that was held on the previous domain. These posts have now been moved to this section, in order to prevent any confusion about which forum is being discussed.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

IMPORTANT - Feedback required :)

Postby UBT - Timbo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi all,

So, I've been looking at the numbers of members logging into the forum, and it's obvious that "interest" is declining and has been over the last 2+ years.

Now, this could be down to a number of factors:

1) The ability to register a new account is affected due to an issue with the forum software, which Darren hasn't fixed. So this has limited "new bloods" from joining :(

2) The forum software itself is "long in the tooth" and needs to be updated - again, this is down to Darren, so don't hold your breath.

3) I don't know how long the current forum can be kept running - to date, we've been very lucky (in that the forum has kept on working, pretty much since day #1 )....but that might not always be the case :(

4) More people are now using other forms of social media, such as FB, Twitter, etc

5) Overall interest in all matters BOINC related is on the wane....as many have given up - I have calculated that less than 6% of the total number of UBT members who have registered an account across all BOINC projects are actually still actively crunching.

I'm more than happy to "transplant" the entire forum, as it stands, onto a different webhosted domain and maybe see if I can import the current posts and membership into a new version.

On the other hand, it might save a lot of work to just start promoting (say) the group via Facebook and then switch this forum off. Maybe just leave it "available" but switch off the ability to post?

Any other ideas are welcome.

Please note that I am still 100% behind the group and UBT will continue as before. However, one always needs to be aware of how times change and if we need to make a change then we should always keep our minds open to the possibilities. Your feedback will help with this.

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: IMPORTANT - Feedback required :)

Postby UBT - Mikee » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:43 am

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all,

So, I've been looking at the numbers of members logging into the forum, and it's obvious that "interest" is declining and has been over the last 2+ years.

Now, this could be down to a number of factors:

1) The ability to register a new account is affected due to an issue with the forum software, which Darren hasn't fixed. So this has limited "new bloods" from joining :(

2) The forum software itself is "long in the tooth" and needs to be updated - again, this is down to Darren, so don't hold your breath.

3) I don't know how long the current forum can be kept running - to date, we've been very lucky (in that the forum has kept on working, pretty much since day #1 )....but that might not always be the case :(

4) More people are now using other forms of social media, such as FB, Twitter, etc

5) Overall interest in all matters BOINC related is on the wane....as many have given up - I have calculated that less than 6% of the total number of UBT members who have registered an account across all BOINC projects are actually still actively crunching.

A quick reply which might not make too much sense as I'm runninglate all ready!

Personnaly I think point 5 is the main item followed by point 1.

Very few members have come onto the forum in the last couple of years - those that have, in the most, have drifted off again.

Point 1 could be very frustrating to someone trying to join, in that, they get booted off immediatly and will probably not try again. Point 1 would need to be fixed to see if anyone actually is trying to join. The only way to fix this, if Darren isn't available, is to restart the forum elsewhere. A forumwide post would also help at the same time to advertise the new location and boost interest again.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: IMPORTANT - Feedback required :)

Postby UBT - Timbo » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:00 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:A quick reply which might not make too much sense as I'm runninglate all ready!

Personnaly I think point 5 is the main item followed by point 1.

Very few members have come onto the forum in the last couple of years - those that have, in the most, have drifted off again.

Point 1 could be very frustrating to someone trying to join, in that, they get booted off immediatly and will probably not try again. Point 1 would need to be fixed to see if anyone actually is trying to join. The only way to fix this, if Darren isn't available, is to restart the forum elsewhere. A forumwide post would also help at the same time to advertise the new location and boost interest again.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for your input :)

I'm tempted to take a back-up of the forum and set up a new one elsewhere. That then resolves issue #1 :)

I can then amend the details of each of the BOINC projects, (that I am admin for), which "points" to this URL and link to a different URL. (The forum that is on this URL can then be closed with maybe a text link showing the new URL, as there's only so much control I have on THIS forum).

So, maybe that might be the way forwards, at least for now?

And further down the line, then we can maybe see if there's any other options worth looking at, if overall visits to the forum continue to be "minimal" !!

regards,
Tim

Francis McDermott
UBT Contributing Member

Postby Francis McDermott » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Compared to when I first joined I'm not very active on the forum these days, but I still like visiting to see what's going on so moving to a new forum rather than just close this one down appeals to me (he says while not actually doing any of the work).

And, as you say, this will hopefully result in some new users which is always good to keep things alive.

Jeffers
UBT Contributing Member

Postby Jeffers » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:16 pm

I must admit I'm rarely on the Forum these days, although I'm still crunching!
I do use Facebook, so a group on there would interest me. I'm also member of a few other Forums covering various interests (such as Fallout 4 currently!)
So I'd join a new forum if that's the way it went.

P.S It looks like my sigs stopped working too.....

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Jeffers wrote:I must admit I'm rarely on the Forum these days, although I'm still crunching!
I do use Facebook, so a group on there would interest me. I'm also member of a few other Forums covering various interests (such as Fallout 4 currently!)
So I'd join a new forum if that's the way it went.

P.S It looks like my sigs stopped working too.....

Hi Jeffers

Thanks for your input. A Facebook does already exist - it's here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukboincteam/

So, feel free to join in there - not that much is going on, but it's early days - sort of - it's been set up since May 2007 !!!!!!

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Postby UBT - Timbo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Francis McDermott wrote:Compared to when I first joined I'm not very active on the forum these days, but I still like visiting to see what's going on so moving to a new forum rather than just close this one down appeals to me (he says while not actually doing any of the work).

And, as you say, this will hopefully result in some new users which is always good to keep things alive.

Hi Francis,

Thanks for the feedback.

I really want to get the new forum software installed and since Darren has gone AWOL, so I'm taking the plunge and closing this one down and opening a new one.

Then we'll see what interest remains, if I cannot import this database into the new forum.

regards
Tim

Jeffers
UBT Contributing Member

Postby Jeffers » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:02 am

Looked at the Faceboook link and then realised that I'd already joined it! Must pay more attention to what's going on.....

Return to “Old forum-related posts”