Page 1 of 1
News about forum hosting - UPDATED
Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:11 am
The ukboincteam.com domain name is due to be renewed on 6th May 2014.
However, it was Darren that registered it and despite the best of attempts, (including email, voicemail and even sending a note by post to Darrens home address), he has not made any contact.
So, I don't know if the domain will be re-registered and/or whether the current hosting will continue - if it isn't then I need to get some form of back-up forum sorted....and that means that I'll need to make a full backup of the current one (in order to preserve it), after which, to save any further hassle, no further posts can be made.
So, this is a FORMAL, ADVANCE WARNING, that as of approx 6pm on 5th June, the forum will be going OFFLINE.
It will remain offline until such time as the domain name/hosting is renewed OR that it can be resurrected on a different URL. Either way, something WILL be done to resolve this.
Please pop back after 5th June and in the meantime, I'll see what I can do....if this is still OFFLINE, then bookmark the following:
Founder, UK BOINC Team
Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:41 pm
It runs out on 6 May ....
Fortunately it Registered with 1and1 and I have Domain Names with them. The latter means I can move quickly to secure the Domain Name before it gets put back into the Pool. There is always a 30 Day Period of Grace before they put it in the Pool.
I have emailed the "Process" department (they deal with the whole chain connected with ownership), and explained the situation. They - should - kick off a process on 6 May to make sure the Domain does not become part of the Public Pool again and ensure we don't lose it.
As I am already a Customer with 1and1, it will be relatively easy for me to secure the Domain Name once they go through the "lost owner" process they have. As I already own Domains at 1and1, it also means the transfer would be quick, seamless and no lose of service.
I stress that nothing I have done with them is in any way pre-emptive, but with two days to go there is not much time. I have already kicked off the process with them by email - but I will make sure nothing is done permanently without contacting you.
Apologies if you think I am moving too fast etc, however with two days to go - one a Public Holiday - time is short. I promise I will not do anything pre-emptive without checking with you, but with 24 hrs left .... this is the best way to secure that Domain Name as I am already a 1and1 Client.
I will get back to you soonest once they have replied.
Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:50 am
Thanks for the message.
I too am both a customer of 1&1 as well as Fasthosts (as they are run by the same directors) .....and on 15th April, I emailed 1&1 about the situation and to date I've not heard anything back from them.
So, they were sent a further email yesterday and I'm awaiting a response....
I'm aware of the "lost owner" process and I've been able to "save" a few clients domains as a result of "knowing" how the inter-webby works....FYI, I've had email accounts ever since about 1983 - long before the web was even dreamt of by Sir TBL !!
But having a two-pronged "effort" with 1&1 will at least hopefully stir somebody into action...and *IF* the domain isn't renewed tomorrow, then we've got a fighting chance of retaining it.
The one thing we don't know is how long Darren has "paid for" on the hosting side.....but if we can get control of the UBT.com "control panel" then we can assign new nameserver records to the domain and then move it onto new hosting servers.
And with luck, we can then have a new forum up and running quite quickly.
If anyone wants to get in touch with me directly, then my email is:
founder at ukboincteam dot org dot uk
Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:07 pm
Okie Doke ..... I will yell quickly if I get a "hit"
In case you are not aware - getting a 404 on the news addy you posted
Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:33 pm
Zydor wrote:In case you are not aware - getting a 404 on the news addy you posted
Yup - a 404 will occur as the page doesn't exist yet !!
(As Notepad and FTP programs are on a different PC).
Give it a while and it should be "there".
Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:20 pm
Darren has been in contact today, via email and he has confirmed that the domain name will auto-renew.
More news when I hear more from Darren
Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:48 am
It`s nice to see the forum online again.
Thanks for all your hard work Tim. :D
Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:11 am
UBT - Rick Horn wrote:It`s nice to see the forum online again.
Thanks for all your hard work Tim. :D
It was more a question of perseverance, rather than hard graft
But I'm glad that we're sorted for the next year...and onwards too, as long as forum members continue to use it, of course.
The move towards "social media" is relentless, so one option that needs exploring is to perhaps update the forum and make it more Facebook/Twitter-friendly......as ultimately, lots more people use them, than logging into a "bespoke" forum.
I'll have to check out the latest phpBB software and see if it's any better.