GAME: Brain Teasers

Here's the place to post all sorts of games, quizzes, or interactive competitions etc for forum members to join in with....
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Q27: Extra Special Bonus Xmas Question:

You can have until Boxing Day to answer it ;) If no correct answers by then, I get a point.

It was good to have the house full of people again; it had been far too quiet since the last of his seven daughters had left for college--seven daughters with seven different majors at seven different schools. About the only thing they had in common was that they were each dating an athlete, although none of them played the same sport--one was even on his school's fencing team. He was surprised all the boyfriends had come for Christmas dinner, but he supposed that since he was picking up the tab for the airfare, that a free trip to Hawaii in the winter had something to do with it. Each of his first three daughters had gone to Ivy League schools--one even to his alma mater at Harvard; his next two ended up at the University of California, at Los Angeles and Berkeley; and his two youngest got accepted to schools abroad--the University of Tokyo had been a bit of a surprise. Next year, after seven straight years--and for the first time this millennium--he wouldn't be attending a high-school graduation.

"Honey, we're ready to eat. Can you get Hank, Ian, James and Kyle? They're in the backyard playing football. The other boys wanted to test themselves against the star quarterback," his wife called from the dining room.

The math major said, "I'll get them Dad!"

As everyone filed into the dining room, the oldest sister was rehashing the whose-school-and-major-is-better argument with her younger sister about whether Yale or Princeton was a better school and whether history or philosophy was a more useful major. The argument was practically a Christmas tradition by now.

The table was arranged with the parents at the two ends and each of the couples seated across from each other with boys seated next to girls along each side. As usual, Angelina and Danica were sitting next to their parents. Curiously, all the athletes that used a ball in their sport were sitting on the same side of the table. Christie, Electra and Edward took their seats first.

Once everyone was seated the youngest coyly observed, "I see the biologist is sitting between the two fighters but I'm sitting between the two best passers at the table."

"You'd better not make any passes yourself!" Farrah icily replied. She hadn't forgiven her sister for stealing her boyfriend when they were in high school and was not happy to see her seated next to her boyfriend now.

"Lighten up, Farrah" the biology major joked. "He wasn't even that cute."

"He was adorable!" the youngest interjected.

"Everyone's entitled to their opinion," said Brooke. "Let's eat!"

The daughter in the middle seat stood up and said, "We have an announcement to make!" After a dramatic pause she screamed "we're getting married!" and flashed the new diamond ring on her finger. The youngest sister squealed with delight at the news. Her fiance joked to his future mother-in-law, "I think she said yes just so she can wear the monogrammed sweater you gave me for Christmas." The baseball player next to her asked her fiance, "Wow, what'd that rock set you back?"

"This calls for a toast!" roared Dad.

"Oh Honey, that's wonderful news!" Mom gushed. "I just happen to have some champagne right here. Lars, I know you don't drink alcohol, but would you mind pouring some champagne for Gabrielle next to you?" the mother asked, handing the bottle to Lars on her left. "Gabrielle, please pass the bottle around," she asked and then quickly added, "But no alcohol for my three babies, or anyone under 21 for that matter. Honey, there's a store downtown that's having a sale on wedding dresses. Will you have time to go look at some wedding dresses before you leave?"

"Sure Mom," her daughter answered. "We have a late flight out, so I can do that on the day we leave."

"Michael and I are celebrating New Years Eve at the Sheraton, Waikiki," one of the girls announced.

"What a coincidence," said the boy sitting next to her. "We're celebrating New Years at the Sheraton, Los Angeles. It's within walking distance of our apartment so we won't have to worry if we drink too much."

"That sounds like a better plan than we have. Somehow, just because my car holds a lot of people, I got roped into being the designated driver for the team" Danica said, looking pointedly at her boyfriend, who gestured to the boy from Princeton saying, "he gave me the idea!"

"Girls, your grandmother will be here on Sunday," the father announced. "She'd really like to see you all."

"Sorry Dad," the business major replied, "we have to leave tomorrow. There's a huge storm predicted to hit the Eastern United States this weekend and we need to get home before they close the airports. I noticed that each couple is leaving on a different day for six days after we leave."

"Sir, we're leaving before Sunday also, so we won't be able to make it either. I'm just glad we don't have to deal with that storm" said the wrestler.

The swimmer and water polo player announced their travel plans. One of them remarked that even though his girlfriend and he were departing for Oxford University two days earlier, both couples would get home on the same day.

The physics major said "I'll be here to see grandma, but unfortunately we're heading back to California before you go look at the wedding gowns."

"Well I'm glad you'll at least be here to see your grandma, but I wish you could stay longer" the dad said. "You know you're my favorite since you were my first to major in a physical science like me," he joked. "I have a tee time at the club on Monday, it's too bad you won't be here," the father remarked to the golfer. "Kyle's got a game next week but you don't," he said to the history major's boyfriend. "How about you join me on the links?"

"Sure!" the boyfriend replied enthusiastically.

"Since we're leaving the day after him, if you've got room for two more Dad, we just happened to bring our clubs" the second oldest said, winking at her boyfriend.

"It's a foursome then!" her dad said happily.

Ian grumbled, "Hank you lucky dog, I've wanted to play that course for years!"

The boyfriend of the political science major laughed, "I'd like to play there also, but Ian, at least I won't have to travel as far as you to get another opportunity."

---------

Identify the boyfriend and his sport, the school, and major for each daughter. Name the order that the daughters were born in and the day of the week that they leave to go home. What is the seating arrangement at the dinner table?

Bonus question: what year is it?
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Q26: A farmer challenges an engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician to fence off the largest amount of area using the least amount of fence.

The engineer made his fence in a circle and said it was the most efficient.

The physicist made a long line and said that the length was infinite. Then he said that fencing half of the Earth was the best.

The mathematician laughed at the others and with his design, beat the others. What did he do?
A26. Stuck a stick in the ground and claimed that everything inside it was 'outside' and everything else was 'inside'?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:A26. Stuck a stick in the ground and claimed that everything inside it was 'outside' and everything else was 'inside'?
Hi Mark,

Not quite...

Clue: The mathematician did make a fence !!

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:Q24 What's more difficult than getting a pregnant elephant in the back of a mini ?
A24. getting an elephant pregnant in the back of a mini!
Hi Mark,

Well done and correct.... !!

regards
Tim
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Q26: A farmer challenges an engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician to fence off the largest amount of area using the least amount of fence.

The engineer made his fence in a circle and said it was the most efficient.

The physicist made a long line and said that the length was infinite. Then he said that fencing half of the Earth was the best.

The mathematician laughed at the others and with his design, beat the others. What did he do?
Interesting question, I note that the engineer and the physicist both had the same idea, only the former was working in 2 dimensions and the latter in 3. My first thought was the same as Mark's, but if that isn't the answer you're looking for then perhaps the mathematician merely put his fence around the base of, say, the Empire State building and claimed the entire floor space within.
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

hgblade wrote:
UBT - Chris wrote:A20: was the river dry - i.e no water in it?
Nope - but a lot better than certain answers!!
So the river isn't dry or frozen, the dog doesn't have a silly name and isn't wearing stilts, he doesn't use a boat or a bridge nor is he carried across... so I guess that leaves either magic, a trebuchet  or a dog with a pilots licence. :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Joshrandom wrote:Interesting question, I note that the engineer and the physicist both had the same idea, only the former was working in 2 dimensions and the latter in 3. My first thought was the same as Mark's, but if that isn't the answer you're looking for then perhaps the mathematician merely put his fence around the base of, say, the Empire State building and claimed the entire floor space within.
Hi James - you are very nearly there....

regards
Tim
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Oh and well done Mark, Mike and Tim, you've all answered Q23 correctly.
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi James - you are very nearly there....

regards
Tim
Well the only further step I can think of for A26 would be if the mathematician fenced off all the bridges and tunnels leading into Manhattan Island and claimed all the area, including floor space, within.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

A23 answer:

The mathematician made a small fence around himself and declared himself to be on the outside.

PS Don't blame me - I got this from a website !! And no, I won't tell you which one as they've got lots more of these...!!

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Q28: What is the link between the following countries?

Argentina
Australia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Liechtenstein
Madagascar
Slovenia

Czechoslovakia also shared this link, although neither the Czech Republic nor Slovakia do individually.

regards
Tim
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Ooops!

Sorry Josh, I missed your white-out answer!  :oops:  Must get some new glasses!

Yes - the river was indeed frozen. Well done, sir!
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:A23 answer:

The mathematician made a small fence around himself and declared himself to be on the outside.

PS Don't blame me - I got this from a website !! And no, I won't tell you which one as they've got lots more of these...!!

regards
Tim
I nearly got it!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:I nearly got it!
Hi Mark,

So you mean to tell me that a "stick in the ground" counts as a fence ????

And I did give you a clue !!

It's just as well you're not a farmer, as you wouldn't have any sheep left ;)

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris »

A28: is it that if you are from there, your name ends in an "an"?:
Argentinian
Australian
Brazilian
Chilian
Colombian
Liechtensteinian
Madagascaran
Slovenian
Czechoslovakian
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Woodles wrote:I nearly got it!
Hi Mark,

So you mean to tell me that a "stick in the ground" counts as a fence ????

And I did give you a clue !!
Hi Tim,

Alright, maybe not as a fence :P But I got the principle of swapping the inside and outside around :)
UBT - Timbo wrote:It's just as well you're not a farmer, as you wouldn't have any sheep left ;)

regards
Tim
I'd have a dog :D

Mark
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Q28: What is the link between the following countries?

Argentina
Australia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Liechtenstein
Madagascar
Slovenia

Czechoslovakia also shared this link, although neither the Czech Republic nor Slovakia do individually.

regards
Tim
I thought it was more coast than internal borders to begin with ... but Liechtenstein ruled that out! :D

I'm going to work on Q27, that's more my type of puzzle.

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:A28: is it that if you are from there, your name ends in an "an"?:
Argentinian
Australian
Brazilian
Chilian
Colombian
Liechtensteinian
Madagascaran
Slovenian
Czechoslovakian
Hi Chris,

It's a far more intricate and "in depth" answer than that !!

Try again :)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:I thought it was more coast than internal borders to begin with ... but Liechtenstein ruled that out! :D

I'm going to work on Q27, that's more my type of puzzle.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Not even close - you really need to be thinking way outside the box on this one...and no, that's not a clue - and we're not talking shapes or fences or frozen rivers here... ;)

I'll give a clue in a day or so...if it will help :)

But that's why it's a brain teaser - taxing your mind and getting all those neurons working overtime, thinking of all the permutations....

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Q28: What is the link between the following countries?

Argentina
Australia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Liechtenstein
Madagascar
Slovenia

regards
Tim
Their abbreviations are all elements?

Argentina - Ar = Argon
Australia - Au = Gold
Brazil - Br = Bromine
Chile - Ch = Chlorine
Colombia - Co = Copper
Liechtenstein - Li = Lithium
Madagascar - Ma = Magnesium
Slovenia - Sl = Silver

Stuck on what Czechoslovakia could be though?

Mark
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

... Or if it's 'in depth' and 'outside the box' - They've all laid claim to sunken treasure ships! :D
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Mark --- 'fraid Copper is Cu - although Cobalt is Co.  8)

Cz is used as an abbreviation for Cubic Zirconia, but that's not an element.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Their abbreviations are all elements?

Argentina - Ar = Argon
Australia - Au = Gold
Brazil - Br = Bromine
Chile - Ch = Chlorine
Colombia - Co = Copper
Slovenia - Sl = Silver

Mark
Hi Mark,

How can I put this ? Nope !! Incorrect.
Besides which, Chlorine is Cl, Copper is Cu, Magnesium is Mg and Silver is Ag

But step sideways a bit and you are nearly there... ;)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:... Or if it's 'in depth' and 'outside the box' - They've all laid claim to sunken treasure ships! :D
Hi Mark

Nope - way off the "mark" !!

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Woodles wrote:Their abbreviations are all elements?

Argentina - Ar = Argon
Australia - Au = Gold
Brazil - Br = Bromine
Chile - Ch = Chlorine
Colombia - Co = Copper
Slovenia - Sl = Silver

Mark
Hi Mark,

How can I put this ? Nope !! Incorrect.
Besides which, Chlorine is Cl, Copper is Cu, Magnesium is Mg and Silver is Ag

But step sideways a bit and you are nearly there... ;)

regards
Tim
Hi Tim,

I was going for abbreviation not periodic table names ... but you got me thinking (and I'd almost managed a whole year without!):

The URLs hosted by each country equates to an element from the periodic table.

Argentina - Ar = Argon
Australia - Au = Gold
Brazil - Br = Bromine
Chile - Cl = Chlorine
Colombia - Co = Cobalt (thanks Keith)
Madagascar - Mg = Magnesium
Slovenia - Si = Silicon

Czechoslovakia - Cs = Caesium but the Czech Republic (Cz) and Slovakia (Ck) don't match anything.

Back to Q27 :D

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mark,

You've got it now :)

They all have internet top-level domains that are chemical symbols.

Argentina - .ar - argon
Australia - .au - gold
Brazil - .br - bromine
Chile - .cl - chlorine
Colombia - .co - cobalt
Liechtenstein - .li - lithium
Madagascar - .mg - magnesium
Slovenia - .si - silicon

Czechoslovakia had the domain .cs, shared with caesium, whereas the Czech Republic (.cz) and Slovakia (.ck) lack this property.

Well done - it was worth it in the end...

regards
Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: GAME: Brain Teasers

Post by UBT - Mikee »

We haven't had one of these of a while so I'll start again with a simple one...

The king has a visitor he wants to impress. He's already warned the citizens to be on their best behaviour and smartens the city up for the visit.

"I'd like to see everything" says the VIP "a tour of the capital and a visit to all your museums and galleries would be most welcome"

The King is delighted as this was exactly what he prepared for anyway!

The tour is all ready prepared and off they go.

The museums were prestine and beautiful, the galleries had all their most precious items on display. The VIP was mesmerized and totally impressed.

"I have had prepared a most glorious banquet in honour of your visit" said the King as they left the final gallery.
"That would be most welcome for I am looking forward to it" then he paused and pointed at a bedraggled man by the steps of the gallery. He was tired of face, with rags for clothes but a well fed, clean donkey accompanied him.

"Who is that?" asked the VIP. The King was horrified then realising who the beggar was he smiled and replied
"Ah that is the ricest man in the city, after me of course"
"How can that be?" asked the VIP "He's wearing rags, he's filthy and only seems to care for his donkey"
"That is, indeed, a very good question" replies the King "We know he's a smuggler but that's about it! We've our best spies follow him and try to find out what he's up to, but whatever it is he's doing we can't trace it. Every morning he deposits cash in the bank, goes out of the city and in the evening he comes back. His clothes are always dirty, but the donkey always appears well cared for. He pays all his bills and taxes, though without knowing what we can tax him for is a little difficult as he appears to have no income!"

So the question is...

What is the smuggler smuggling?
Last edited by UBT - Mikee on Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Donkeys?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Said it was easy! Mind you why anyone would want to smuggle donkeys is beyond me! :-)
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re:

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Q27: Extra Special Bonus Xmas Question:

You can have until Boxing Day to answer it ;) If no correct answers by then, I get a point.

It was good to have the house full of people again; it had been far too quiet since the last of his seven daughters had left for college--seven daughters with seven different majors at seven different schools. About the only thing they had in common was that they were each dating an athlete, although none of them played the same sport--one was even on his school's fencing team. He was surprised all the boyfriends had come for Christmas dinner, but he supposed that since he was picking up the tab for the airfare, that a free trip to Hawaii in the winter had something to do with it. Each of his first three daughters had gone to Ivy League schools--one even to his alma mater at Harvard; his next two ended up at the University of California, at Los Angeles and Berkeley; and his two youngest got accepted to schools abroad--the University of Tokyo had been a bit of a surprise. Next year, after seven straight years--and for the first time this millennium--he wouldn't be attending a high-school graduation.
<big snip>

Identify the boyfriend and his sport, the school, and major for each daughter. Name the order that the daughters were born in and the day of the week that they leave to go home. What is the seating arrangement at the dinner table?

Bonus question: what year is it?

I forgot to give this answer to this...not that anyone guessed or worked it out...

So, just in case, here are the hints:

Pay attention to the flow of the conversation, but don't assume more than can be firmly established.

Also, some information relies on the following facts:
* Christmas is on December 25th.
* New Years Eve is celebrated (usually by drinking too much alcohol) on December 31st.
* Swimming, fencing and wrestling are not games. Football, baseball, water polo and golf are games played with a ball.

* Fencing and wrestling are combat competitions.
* The game of American football is not a collegiate sport outside the United States; the player that passes the ball is the quarterback; there are more than forty players on a football team.
* Water polo is a game played in a pool with 7 players on each team; points are scored by throwing the ball into the opponents net, which is guarded by the goal keeper; the ball is moved across the pool either by swimming with it or passing it to another player.
* Ivy League schools are located on the East Coast of the United States. Harvard, Yale and Princeton are all Ivy League schools.

* Oxford University is in Oxford, England.
* Tokyo University is in Tokyo, Japan.
* Los Angeles and Berkeley are cities in California.
* Waikiki is a city in Hawaii.

* Hawaii is in the Pacific Ocean. The following are approximate distances from Hawaii:
* Berkeley and Los Angeles ~ 2500 miles
* Tokyo ~3900 miles
* Yale, Harvard and Princeton ~5000 miles
* England ~7000 miles

* Biology and physics are physical sciences; none of the other majors is a physical science.
* High school in America typically includes the last three or four years of school before college.
* A designated driver remains sober in order to drive people who've had too much alcohol home.
* A monogram is formed from the first letter of a person's first, last and (sometimes) middle names.

(As you might be able to tell, the question was from an American website, where certain things us Brits know, they need to be reminded of !!)

Answers are on the next posting :)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Answers are:

From oldest to youngest the sisters are:

Who, Boyfriend, Sport, Major, School, Departure day
----------------------------------------------------------
Danica, Hank, Water Polo, History, Yale, Tue
Electra, Edward, Fencing, Philosophy, Princeton, Wed
Angelina, Lars, Golf, Business, Harvard, Fri
Gabrielle, James, Wrestling, Poly Sci., UCLA, Sat
Farrah, Kyle, Football, Physics, Berkeley, Mon.
Brooke, Michael, Baseball, Biology, Tokyo, Thu
Christie, Ian, Swimming, Math, Oxford, Sun

The seating arrangement is:

---------- Dad ----------
Hank.............Danica
Christie..........Ian
Kyle..............Farrah
Electra...........Edward
Michael..........Brooke
Gabrielle........James
Lars..............Angelina
---------- Mom ----------

The year is 2003. This is the only year from 2000 to 2007 where Christmas is on a Thursday.

There - twasn't so hard was it !!

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Mikee, that reminded me about the worker smuggling wheelbarrows from a factory, similar story.

I remember that one Tim, I got about half way through it then left it for later ... I guess now is 'later' but a bit too late!

A simple one:

Each letter in the sentence below represents a number. Solve so that the sentence is still correct.

seven + seven + six = twenty