Will UBT get to 1 TRILLION credits?

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Will UBT get to 1 TRILLION credits?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

So, while I'm thinking of doing something creative at work, (and needing to let my brain think it over) I had a quick nosey over at BOINCstats.com just to see how we are doing in the UK stats.

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team ... %20Kingdom

It'll be no surprise to anyone that we're still the UK #1 Team and we're generating MORE credits per day, per week and per month than any other UK based team. (So a big thank you to all contributors).

As of a few moments ago, our credit total stood at 892,787,133,423 credits and is increasing at a rate of around 700 million per month.

So, the question, is: Will UBT ever get the chance to hit the 1 TRILLION mark?

We still need 107,212,866,577 credits...and using a cheap calculator, that is going to take (at current rates) about 153 MONTHS (call it 13 years).

If one looks here:

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/list/

you'll see we're the 9th placed Team in the World - but the 8 teams above us have all amassed over 1 trillion already. ;-)

So, can we do it? BOINC has been going for about 14 years, (as LHC, CPDN and Pirates all started up around Sept 2004, though SETI@home was already running since 1999, but not using BOINC).

I very much doubt that Bitcoin Utopia will start up again, and that was a big player in the credits-world...so, it's then a question of how much effort we need to make, (perhaps on GPU based projects, which tend to process faster and offer higher credits per task), in order to get to a TRILLION?

It's up to us to take this on and see how best we can accrue some credits before BOINC stops or changes it's credit system.

regards
Tim

PS: I seem to recall that Collatz was/is the best paying project in terms of credits received per completed task. So, maybe the long term plan would be to make this our "favoured GPU" project and spend as much time on it as possible, so as to earn the most credits in as short a period of time as possible?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Will UBT get to 1 TRILLION credits?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Just as a follow up, these are the current MONTHLY credit totals for these projects that support GPUs (and some also support CPUs, but there's no way of knowing the "split" between them :-( )

Code: Select all

Collatz - 467,029,339
PrimeGrid - 93,188,456
Moo - 59,422,032
Einstein - 56,382,586
MilkyWay - 23,679,749
GPUGrid - 12,662,470
SETI - 9,158,430
Asteroids - 2,495,520
LHC - 327,953
So, we could maybe increase our monthly credits, by switching some GPUs over to Collatz - though some members may have personal targets they want to achieve (on some projects) before switching.

Just food for thought !!

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

Yes, Collatz is definitely the best paying project at the moment :) With it correctly configured each GPU can earn multi millions a day :D

960 - ~1.9 million a day
970 - ~2.3 million a day
1070 - ~4.7 million a day
1080 - ~6.7 million a day

So roughly 100 GPU years to get to one trillion.

We've managed 100 million a day on Collatz in the past so that's only three years not thirteen :D

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mark,

Yup - we're currently earning about 40 million per day on Collatz, according to BOINCstats:

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/86/team ... %20Kingdom

Though our weekly and 4-weekly stats imply a lower figure - around 30m and 15m per day, respectively.

But I'm sure that with a bit of "encouragement", this could easily be increased and indeed, an overall increase of "not a lot" would significantly reduce the time to get to a trillion.

So, perhaps if members would list what GPUs they have to hand, (that could be dedicated to Collatz) then a better estimate could be made.

Sadly, I have just one GTX 970 and 6 (in total) GTX 5xx Series, which might be OK, but I'd need to setup a couple of PCs to house them, plus a large loan to cover the leccy bills !!

(Taking a look at Collatz GPU stats here:

https://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/gpu_list.php

...a GTX 760 on Windows OS, gets a score of 0.119 -which is about a tenth of a GTX 1080Ti. So a GTX 5xx Series would be a bit worse than that !!

So, I can manage say 2.3-3.0 million per day (all being well)....if I include the slower GPUs, as they won't help much in the big scheme of things).

Any other offers?

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

Personally, I only switched from Moo to Collatz at the weekend so the longer term numbers won't reflect anything that I've crunched on Collatz recently. Also, I have a few GPUs offline at the moment as a CPU died and I'm waiting for a couple of bits to rebuild it (long story short, it was cheaper to build a new host than to replace the CPU in the old one!)

Now the Nvidia RTX 20 series reviews are out and showing them to be reasonable performers (although vastly overpriced) then maybe the prices for older cards will drop and more GPUs will be added to the team?

Good plan, I listed the ones I have on Collatz above. Don't forget that if you tweak the Collatz configuration files then you can almost double the credits that you get.

I don't know what GTX 5xx GPUs you have but a correctly configured GTX 570 can get 800K points a day (https://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/r ... e=4&appid=) so that would be over seven million a day for all of your GPUs. Of course, you'd still need that loan for the electricity (although the National lottery jackpot is estimated at 17.5 million for tonight :D)

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mark

Ok - sounds good.

My GTX 5xx Series comprises: a 590, 2x 580s, a 560Ti and a 560 (I counted the 590 as 2 GPUs, as it's really 2x 580s on one PCB).

The 580 and the 970 have now been switched over to Collatz to see how they fare - and to see how hot they get - the 580 on MilkyWay I could get down to about 75 deg C, if I seriously underclocked it. And that saves a bit of leccy too !!

And the good news also is that I've also sorted out my broadband connectivity at my office...so I just need to figure a way to use Team Viewer remotely, in order to switch projects next Wednesday night !!

regards
Tim

PS: Good find on the GTX570 stats - that's a useful benchmark to know...abt 3,300 seconds (on a GTX570) earns 30,000+ credits. ;-)

PPS: I've lost track of the Lottery - they put the prices up, changed the days when it's held and the winnings don't seem so much. :-(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

So, my GTX970 is taking about 800-900 seconds (abt 15 mins) per Collatz task and that is earning about 30,000 credits per task.

Currently my GTX580 is taking 7,500 seconds (just over 2 hours) and is earning about 37,000 credits per task.

I'll need to investigate any Collatz optimised config parameters in due course and see if this can be fine tuned a wee bit.

But my initial expectation that a GTX5xx Series is about a tenth as good as a GTX970 is pretty much borne out.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

Your 970 is on a par with mine so I think it's about right.

However ...

verbose=1
kernels_per_reduction=48
threads=8
lut_size=17
sieve_size=28
sleep=0
cache_sieve=1
reducecpu=0
~3,200 seconds for ~30,500 credits on a GTX 570 -> 800K a day

About a third/quarter as good as a 970 :D

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mark

Thanks for that ;-)

In fact I've only just found out (today, whilst trying to find out what would be the correct settings) that inspecting the stderr output of successfully completed tasks, allows one to check the actual "config" parameters of said GPU...which will hopefully mean I can tweak the GTX 580 considerably.

So, I'll give that a try when I'm next in the office.

(The GTX970 is at home so much easier to configure).

regards
Tim
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

Well when i achieve my double bronze in PG for PPS Sieve i can switch 2 x 1080ti and 1 x 1060ti. I can have all these GPUs running flat out with 2 collatz WUs at a time. might make a slight difference to overall weekly totals. 37000 odd credits every 2.5 minutes on a 1080ti :o
Last edited by bigsinky on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Sounds good Neil :handgestures-thumbupleft:

(I thought Collatz ran best with the config files and just one task per GPU? Might have to give it a try and see)

Mark
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Neil,

I see you've swapped over to Collatz :)

A word of advice, your 1080Ti's are taking over a thousand seconds per WU. They could be finishing in less than 250 as this host does - https://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/r ... e=4&appid=

If you go to your ...\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\boinc.thesonntags.com_collatz directory you'll find some .config files. They'll probably be empty. If you add the following to the collatz_sieve_1.30_windows_x86_64__opencl_nvidia_gpu.config file, they'll finish in about a quarter of the time.

verbose=1
kernels_per_reduction=48
threads=9
lut_size=18
sieve_size=30
sleep=1
cache_sieve=1
reduce_cpu=0
No need to restart or reboot, Collatz will pick it up on the next WU.

Same procedure for your 1060 but different numbers:

verbose=1
kernels_per_reduction=48
threads=8
lut_size=16
sieve_size=30
sleep=1
cache_sieve=1
reduce_cpu=0
1350 seconds down to ~700 seconds - https://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/r ... e=4&appid=

About 30% less credits for each task but ~400/200% more tasks in the same time. The GPUs do run slightly hotter though but that's not usually a problem.

Mark
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

Nothing to see here.....Move along now
Last edited by bigsinky on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

Woodles wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:39 pm Hi Neil,

I see you've swapped over to Collatz :)

A word of advice, your 1080Ti's are taking over a thousand seconds per WU. They could be finishing in less than 250 as this host does - https://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/r ... e=4&appid=

If you go to your ...\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\boinc.thesonntags.com_collatz directory you'll find some .config files. They'll probably be empty. If you add the following to the collatz_sieve_1.30_windows_x86_64__opencl_nvidia_gpu.config file, they'll finish in about a quarter of the time.

verbose=1
kernels_per_reduction=48
threads=9
lut_size=18
sieve_size=30
sleep=1
cache_sieve=1
reduce_cpu=0
No need to restart or reboot, Collatz will pick it up on the next WU.

verbose=1
kernels_per_reduction=48
threads=8
lut_size=16
sieve_size=30
sleep=1
cache_sieve=1
reduce_cpu=0
1350 seconds down to ~700 seconds - https://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/r ... e=4&appid=

About 30% less credits for each task but ~400/200% more tasks in the same time. The GPUs do run slightly hotter though but that's not usually a problem.

Mark
Hi mark

Will give it a go tonight when i get in from work.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Neil,

No problems if you don't like the change, the work still gets done just a little slower.

Mark
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

Woodles wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:10 pm Hi Neil,

No problems if you don't like the change, the work still gets done just a little slower.

Mark
I don't pretend to know anything on how BOINC/collatz works. I only have a config.xml file but also have a blank gpu config file in the collatz directory. I sort of cogged together a config.xml file from other posts like yourself. I didn't really look into the GPU file that much but if a little tweaking can produce better results i am all for it. As for extra heat, my bedroom is always freezing so a few extra degrees will be a welcome change.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

All you need to do is copy the text from "verbose" to "reduce_cpu" and put it into the previously blank config file.

Save and you're done.

Basically it allows the Collatz code to use more of the GPU memory and CUDA cores at the same time rather than the default values which are designed for very early cards with less memory and fewer cores.

More work done per step, faster time. Less steps done, less credits.

The result should be about four times as many tasks done on each 1080Ti for roughly three times the total credit.

Your 1060 is nearer the minimum values (but not as much as my 970s!) so twice as many tasks for 1.7 times the previous credit.

It is starting to get a bit nippy now isn't it?!

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:27 pm Hi Tim,

Your 970 is on a par with mine so I think it's about right.

However ...

verbose=1
kernels_per_reduction=48
threads=8
lut_size=17
sieve_size=28
sleep=0
cache_sieve=1
reducecpu=0
~3,200 seconds for ~30,500 credits on a GTX 570 -> 800K a day

About a third/quarter as good as a 970 :D

Mark
Hi Mark

Oops - been looking at the stats for the wrong "host"....please disregard what was written here before !!

regards
Tim
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

Mark

Ok i have pasted config data in and a WU is still taking 508 seconds to complete. Would this have anything to do with the fact he has 2 x 1080ti cards in the one machine?
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

bigsinky wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:48 pm Mark

Ok i have pasted config data in and a WU is still taking 508 seconds to complete. Would this have anything to do with the fact he has 2 x 1080ti cards in the one machine?
hmmmm......getting computation errors now
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Neil,

"Still taking 508 seconds"? Your Collatz results page shows them taking between 1000 and 1030 previously?

Did you say before that you were running two tasks at a time?

Try renaming your app_config.sys file and re-reading config files to run one at a time.

Mark
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Woodles wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:39 pm

verbose=1
kernels_per_reduction=48
threads=8
lut_size=16
sieve_size=30
sleep=1
cache_sieve=1
reduce_cpu=0

Mark

Hi

Been lurking, forgot all about these changes so I've done this for my 1060's - times reduced from 1900 secs to 900 secs, credits also dropped but not by much. Thanks for the reminder!

Does help when you have one of the fans going the right way as well! I was wondering why one of the cards was up at 87 degrees - turned a case fan round and now both happy at 82 degrees on full load.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Mikee,

Oh yes, the credits drop but by a lot less than the times do.

You're supposed to fit fans?! :confusion-confused:

Mark
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

so i reset project and now have 0.996 CPU and 1 Nvidia GPU processing a WU in 7 mins 57 secs. how is this guy doing the WU in 250 odd seconds?
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

ok so after a bit of tweaking various parameters in the config file, reducing some, increasing others. i have also tweaked the card. now running a GPU core clock @ 1936MhZ from 1550Mhz. processing time is down to 233 seconds. GPU load @ 100% and temps @ 71C .
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Sorry Neil, i was out last night. Glad you got it working though :handgestures-thumbupright:
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

Mark
yes, fairly flying through the WUs now. 27 - 29K per WU. I am chasing you my friend. just wait until i get that second 1080ti on the go ;)

Neil
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

bigsinky wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:17 am Mark
yes, fairly flying through the WUs now. 27 - 29K per WU. I am chasing you my friend. just wait until i get that second 1080ti on the go ;)

Neil
Hi Neil,

So I see, congratulations :D

I'll keep an eye out.

Mark
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

Woodles wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:59 am
bigsinky wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:17 am Mark

Neil
Hi Neil,

So I see, congratulations :D

I'll keep an eye out.

Mark
you'll just switch on another 32 core Xeon machine won't you? Let me think i am catching you then....BAM...... see you later sucker!!!
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

bigsinky wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:00 pmyou'll just switch on another 32 core Xeon machine won't you? Let me think i am catching you then....BAM...... see you later sucker!!!
Ah, the Xeons don't score much compared to a GPU, I'll just upgrade my remaining 900 series cards to 1080Tis :lol:

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 pm
Ah, the Xeons don't score much compared to a GPU, I'll just upgrade my remaining 900 series cards to 1080Tis :lol:

Mark
Hi Mark

Can I have first dibs on any 900 series cards you might be decommissioning ? (I really cannot afford any 10xx series cards for now).

regards
Tim
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

Woodles wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 pm
bigsinky wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:00 pmyou'll just switch on another 32 core Xeon machine won't you? Let me think i am catching you then....BAM...... see you later sucker!!!

Mark
Damn you. I have serious leccy bills to pay. I can't afford to run anymore 1080Tis :(
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:52 pmHi Mark

Can I have first dibs on any 900 series cards you might be decommissioning ? (I really cannot afford any 10xx series cards for now).

regards
Tim
Hi Tim,

No problem :)

I'll warn you now though, they've been running virtually continuously for a few years? :D

Prices should be coming down a bit now that the mining phase has finished and new 20 series are out.

Mark
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

bigsinky wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:49 pmDamn you. I have serious leccy bills to pay. I can't afford to run anymore 1080Tis :(
You may have to settle for second place then :P :D

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:26 pm
Hi Tim,

No problem :)

I'll warn you now though, they've been running virtually continuously for a few years? :D

Prices should be coming down a bit now that the mining phase has finished and new 20 series are out.

Mark
Hi Mark

So, they'll be really cheap then ;-)

...and I can hoover out any accumulated dust/cat hairs etc :roll:

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,
UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:08 pmHi Mark

Oh no, they'll be "pre-conditioned" and "run in" so you'll pay a premium :P
UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:08 pm...and I can hoover out any accumulated dust/cat hairs etc :roll:

regards
Tim
You pay more for "extra features" :lol:

I could call them i970s and sell them for £1,000!

Mark
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

My PC is dead at the moment so I can't check for sure, but I'm sure I used to run Collatz in the past. Didn't they have some bother with people cheating? Or am I getting that mixed up with something else? (senior moments R us)...
Anyway, I am sure I've got a 1070 in there, so if someone can point me in the right direction for configuring that I'll take a look when my machine is mended.
I generally run it 24/7 but it'd been shut down for a week while I was on holiday and decided not to work when I got back. It looks like the SSD or it's mobo connection has died, as it has disappeared. Fortunately it's still under warranty and I'm dropping it off at the menders today. I've got all my important stuff backed up but it'll be a bit of a pain putting everything else back if it needs a clean install, which seems likely.
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

Jeffers wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:01 am My PC is dead at the moment so I can't check for sure, but I'm sure I used to run Collatz in the past. Didn't they have some bother with people cheating? Or am I getting that mixed up with something else? (senior moments R us)...
Anyway, I am sure I've got a 1070 in there, so if someone can point me in the right direction for configuring that I'll take a look when my machine is mended.
I generally run it 24/7 but it'd been shut down for a week while I was on holiday and decided not to work when I got back. It looks like the SSD or it's mobo connection has died, as it has disappeared. Fortunately it's still under warranty and I'm dropping it off at the menders today. I've got all my important stuff backed up but it'll be a bit of a pain putting everything else back if it needs a clean install, which seems likely.
Check back in previous posts in this thread. there are some .config files for 10 series Nvidia cards. Might need some slight tweaking.

cheers

Neil
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

bigsinky wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:43 am
Jeffers wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:01 am My PC is dead at the moment so I can't check for sure, but I'm sure I used to run Collatz in the past. Didn't they have some bother with people cheating? Or am I getting that mixed up with something else? (senior moments R us)...
Check back in previous posts in this thread. there are some .config files for 10 series Nvidia cards. Might need some slight tweaking.

cheers

Neil
Yeah, I'm sure I've seen them somewhere previously.

I'll take a look when I get my PC back....
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Jeff,
You remember correctly. Unfortunately, as part of the fix Slicker had to take down the website and rebuild it so there's no thread about it any more.

Basically, a user had spoofed the response files to the project so that they claimed he was returning valid tasks in only three seconds and claiming credit for much longer. Slicker has subsequently changed the work that's sent out and the replies expected back so that it doesn't happen now.
Jeffers wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:01 amAnyway, I am sure I've got a 1070 in there, so if someone can point me in the right direction for configuring that I'll take a look when my machine is mended.
Make sure it's still got a 1070 in it when it gets back :)
Try here - http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/newforum/ ... =93&t=6001 or more specifically here -
http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/newforum/ ... 01#p111354

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:33 pm Hi Tim,
UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:08 pmHi Mark

Oh no, they'll be "pre-conditioned" and "run in" so you'll pay a premium :P

You pay more for "extra features" :lol:

I could call them i970s and sell them for £1,000!

Mark
Hi Mark

OK, so you are trying to tap into the "vintage" and "aged" market then ? I think that only works for old masters, the odd horselesss carriage and some wines... 8-)

And I don't think anyone would fall for an iVan iGogh, an i250 iDino or a nice bottle of iChateau iLafite :lol:

regards
Tim