Recent ECJ ruling on images

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Recent ECJ ruling on images

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I've been made aware of the following with regards to the posting of images owned by third parties.:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/0 ... ed_images/

Reading through this, I am worried that any images posted by any members here, might then result in proceedings taking place, which could of course, result in all sorts of legal problems.

I am sure some common sense may be forthcoming, but given that, in the case noted above, the copyright holder sued a school for money, could imply that lots of lawyers might be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of taking action against anyone they feel is using their clients material.

As such, I feel that until more clarity is obtained with regards to this situation, I think it wise that I should take steps to minimise any potential legal threats that this forum may be exposed to.

So, for the time being I am switching off the Avatars and also the uploading of any images (if attached to a posting).

Please also note that i have moved two "quizzes" from the "Games, wordplay..." section to the "Private members section".

I will update this posting in due course as things become clearer about what is "acceptable use" and what is a "copyright infringement".

Further thoughts:

1) If a member has created their own avatar, then I doubt anyone would have any issue of displaying this. However, I don't know yet if there is a way of selectively displaying avatars for some and not for others as the forum software currently has an "avatar displayed" Yes / No option for the entire forum and not for individual members.

regards
Tim