Too hot to crunch?

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Too hot to crunch?

Post by Jeffers »

Don't know about anybody else, but during the recent hot weather I've had to stop my usual 24x7 PC operation because it's been getting too hot!
PC itself seems OK, but when it's approaching 30C in my office where it lives that's a bit too much. Been putting PC to sleep mode to let things cool off bit.
Things seem to be getting back to normal at the moment, so it's full steam ahead again!
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: Too hot to crunch?

Post by Woodles »

Hi Jeff,

It has been getting a bit toasty :)

For me it's been a case of selecting projects which don't stress the PC so much and/or limiting the number of cores that run the more demanding workunits.

In one way it'll be good to be able to crunch without restrictions again but I am enjoying the better weather :D

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Jeffers

Of late, I've actually stopped my GPU crunching and committing to 100% CPU crunching. This still allows lots of processing but far reduces the heat output from my small number of PCs.

Of course, that may change if a GPU project is chosen for a FB Sprint, or indeed if we start falling back too far on Moo!

regards
Tim
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by chriscambridge »

28c room temp with the air con unit running on full :?
galacticminor
Active UBT Contributor

Post by galacticminor »

Morning, I'm pretty much the same as Timbo - during the summer months I'll often drop back to CPU only. In the winter I just turn off the radiator and can run the GPUs and CPUS :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Andrew,

Same here, I can't remember the last time I had the radiators on! :lol:

Mark