Forum Database needs pruning

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Forum Database needs pruning

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

During the recent "upgrade" of the forum software, I have been made aware that the database itself is getting to be very big...

This makes it more difficult to administer (from a backup and restore point of view) and of course, it means that it is probably putting more of a "load" on the hosting server.

So, I propose that at some point this year, to prune some of the older, less relevant topics and postings.

I will do a bit of research into this and it is possible that a number of options might be considered such as:

1) Delete everything before a certain date from this forum
2) Selectively delete some material, if not related to BOINC
3) Make a "read only" database (and link to that as an "archived" forum) of ALL posts before a certain date
4) As 3) but only related to BOINC matters
5) User suggestions if not covered by the above

Please let me know your thoughts on the above and hopefully by the spring/summer we can put together a useful plan.

regards
Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: Forum Database needs pruning

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Out of the options listed 3 seems most preferable. Not too sure about ALL posts before a certain date as that would mean that some sections would be empty, so maybe archive all posts past page one rather than a certain date?

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mikee

Thanks for your input.

I was just thinking up some initial ideas about how to cut down on the number of postings (which would then reduce the database size).

Ideally, what would be sensible is to think of a plan that could be carried out once a year, so that "less relevant" postings are removed from this forum annually and then that leaves room for newer posts for the forthcoming year or two.

One obvious set of candidates relates to any now discontinued projects...and just move them off to a "closed" project section and to then archive that off to a "read only" forum elsewhere.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

So, I've gone ahead and moved postings I've found concerning "dead" BOINC (or non-BOINC) projects - comprising 169 topics and 1,959 posts - there might stil be a few left that I've missed.

If so, please use the "!" icon (above each post you find) to report the posting and I'll move the topic to a hidden "closed projects" folder, with a view to archiving it off which will save a little bit of space.

At the point where the "closed projects" section has been fully used, I'll move it into the members area so that members can review it - in case I've been "over-zealous"... !!

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

A bit more pruning has taken place.

This time, any previous years topics about Formula-BOINC have been moved to a new sub-forum within the members area.

I've also taken the liberty on ensuring that the "forum rules" link is on every forum section - it was viewable on some sections but not on all...so I've updated those links too....so that each section is now consistent with all the others.

regards
Tim
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by chriscambridge »

One thing you seem to have missed is the UBT logo at the top of the page?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris,

I've not missed it. The issue is that the forum has been upgraded to the latest phpBB version which is v3.2.2.

And many of the extensions I used before, the software writers have not released new versions that will work with this - this is mainly because:
a) phpBB v3.2.2 was released quite recently
b) It is vastly different to v3.1.x

For the "UBT" banner at the top, I used "Site Logo" by "david63":

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/find ... 5D=36&sc=1

and on his extension download page he says:
Note: Version 1.0.0 will not work with prosilver in phpBB 3.2
So, I have to wait until new compatible versions of the extensions are coded. Once that happens then I will gladly re-install those extensions which are compatible and won't cause the forum to fail.

regards
Tim
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

To be honest this is all the extension is actually doing; these are the steps to do this manually without an extension.

[HOW TO] Change your logo in 3.2.x

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2400421
Last edited by chriscambridge on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris

Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty sure that the Site Logo extension did some other fancy stuff as well, which meant you were not constrained to the phpBB image limitations.

So, I'll give it a while and see what david63 comes up with as a software update, as his extensions makes it real simple to change logo's on the fly :-)

regards
Tim
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

okay cool no worries, that sounds like a plan.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I've had a little tidy up of a couple of postings that were created (in the dim distant past) as regards forum membership and the forum rules - both of which are now in the ""Non-member questions about UBT" section.

As such, the section "New members start here" is now empty and so has been retired.

regards
Tim