Anyone ventured into home automation?

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
wkdwill
UBT Contributor

Anyone ventured into home automation?

Post by wkdwill »

Hi all,

On receiving a Amazon Dot for Xmas, I've started looking into home automation and I've found some interesting project ideas, one is an Android tablet wall mounted that displays info that you specify, so I was thinking about one that displays my current Boinc stats and any problems like when there is a lack of WU's or a server is down, the only problem is that the tablet requires a server program running locally, fortunately there is one available for my QNAP NAS but configuration is a royal pain in the a**, so now I have another project to tinker with, no wonder I have zero spare time :(

If anyone has experience with home automation or is interested I'll post links and updates.

Will
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Anyone ventured into home automation?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Will,

Where I live, I can't do much to the "infra-structure" so re-wiring the mains etc is beyond what I can do....but I do have some Byron in-line power switches, which came out a few years ago (and hence are not "connected") - they use a simple IR remote control or a (better) timer remote control which allows individual items, plugged into them to be turned on and off, which is useful for smaller lights, esp useful on winter days, not having to come home to an unlit house.

I have been interested in how manufacturers have been adding web-friendly functions to their appliances...so the internet fridge that knows what you put in and take out....that just wouldn't work for me as I vary my diet over the course of a month or two and hence I don't always want to eat the same things week in or week out (or to be reminded that I've run out of milk...I have a brain for that sort of info !!).

Likewise I can't see a lot of "need" for an internet oven, microwave, hoover, washing machine or toaster...unless I can get one of the Red Dwarf toasters !!

So, I guess the only good side to this is perhaps being able to control your central heating from an app...or perhaps the lighting? (Sadly I can't do either of these). Or how about opening/closing the curtains and/or blinds without getting up? That could be quite useful...but the cost would probably be unjustified, compared to the health benefit of getting up and doing it yourself.

I already have a NAS box and a Sonos system, connected to my audio system, so I can already "do" multi-room audio and internet radio...plus I have Roku box and a ChromeCast Audio thingy...so the entertainment side is sorted.

I guess a security app, with webcams and recording capability might be useful, if it means I can get cheaper contents insurance...

Just my 2 cents worth !

regards
Tim
wkdwill
UBT Contributor

Post by wkdwill »

Hi Tim,

The automation I'm looking into doesn't require any rewiring :)
The NAS server that I was running bogged it down so much the CCTV stopped recording and eventually the NAS stopped responding at all, so now I have a Raspberry Pi3 that I'll set the server up on, loads of examples online of it being used that way and loads of scripts, good thing about the Pi is it interfaces with the arduino boards well.

Likewise I don't see the need of connected kitchen appliances, especially after reading this article, https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -fi-kettle
a talkytoaster would be fun though :)
I'm looking at lighting, audio and video control (the server interfaces well with my Bose speakers, A/V receiver and smart TV), maybe adding on security functions at a later date, the whole set-up will interface through dashing or smashing with an android tablet https://github.com/smar000/openhab-dashboard
all the software is open-source so nice and cheap also arduino boards are peanuts to buy and easy to program, all this tied in with IFTTT will give loads of control both when home and away, going to be a long project but once I get used to the Pi, I'll look at running ASIC's on one as a bonus.

Will
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by chriscambridge »

Hi Will,

We don't use any home automation, however for CCTV we use ring.com (doorbell) and YCAM (indoor); both offer inclusive cloud based recording, motion activation, and YCAM offers live view, whereas ring.com pushes video to devices allowing you to answer your front door anywhere! ring.com is also back by Virgin's Sir Richard Branson; you may have seen the adverts on TV..

Ring.com

Y-Cam

its good to see someone using GitHub, I guess you must know how to compile source code then! I am guessing it is probably C/C++ although maybe even Java..

In truth, IoT (internet of things) is a Major topic at the moment so in the next year or so you will see practically everything become connected as the biggest players are betting big on this. The BT Tower in London in currently the highest IoT base-station in the World!

I do like the sound of Amazon dot, apart from the fact that there was a report of a 12 year old who ordered herself 10Kg of cookies and a $500 dolls house and Amazon dot was more than happy to put the order through for her!

Chris
wkdwill
UBT Contributor

Post by wkdwill »

Hi Chris,

I've looked at those doorbells in the past, although they are very good, I'm trying to do something a bit more bespoke,
Here's the list of planned projects,
1] Front door lighting.
2] Temp sensors dotted around the house, these would control valves for the heating.
3] Nest smoke detectors.
4] Current sensors for each room, sensing if a appliance had been left switched on (girlfriend is paranoid about leaving things switched on).
5] OpenHab dashboard on an Android tablet showing the info pulled from the various sensors.
6] Music control, again on the dashboard controlling the Bose soundtouch speakers.
7] CCTV integrated into dashboard, so we can see who is at the door before deciding whether to answer or not :wink:
8] Interior lighting controlled via tablet and wall switches.
https://community.openhab.org/t/dashboa ... blets/2329
I already have full 1080 CCTV cams linked to my NAS for recording, on the list I've started off with a light over the front door that senses either myself or my girlfriend approaching via the wifi on our phones, this then fades on and goes off after a short while, allowing us to find our keys and the lock, I'm currently waiting for voltage regulators and mosfets to arrive so I can solder everything and get it working, if my scripting will hold up.
Luckily OpenHab being opensource there is a lot of scripts already written for most of what I would like to do, would still like to do as much myself as possible, that way it will be easier to troubleshoot.

I've thrown myself in the deep end as each of the systems seem to use different languages, Python, Ruby, C and Java, only ever done a little Java, javascript, html, asp and css in the past, so it's going to be a long project, hopefully my girlfriend will keep the job list to a minimum while this is work in progress, one thing is for certain, there will be a lot of blood, sweat and tears before its finished.

Will
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by chriscambridge »

Hi Will,

Yeah I really like the sound of these projects; they sound really interesting and quite unique.. I guess software development on a computer is one thing, but when you move the software into an embedded device it really opens up the possibilities.

--

I have a joke for you..

"Why did the C++ programmer wear glasses?"

"Because he could not see sharp (C#)!

Chris
wkdwill
UBT Contributor

Post by wkdwill »

chriscambridge wrote:Hi Will,

Yeah I really like the sound of these projects; they sound really interesting and quite unique.. I guess software development on a computer is one thing, but when you move the software into an embedded device it really opens up the possibilities.

--

I have a joke for you..

"Why did the C++ programmer wear glasses?"

"Because he could not see sharp (C#)!

Chris
Hi Chris,

I looked at the intel IoT boards, more horsepower but a smaller community to go running to when things don't quite work as expected, I'm waiting for account activation on a forum at the moment, script errors while compiling :( I like the really small form factor of the Arduino boards, as small as a matchbook, then there's all the sensors and modules that can be attached, the possibilities are endless.

oh dear, programming jokes :roll: :icon-lol:

Will