Minor forum update

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Minor forum update

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

If anyone was trying to log on earlier, I had a wee bit of time to perform a forum update.

Initially, things went a bit funny for about 10 mins, but eventually, I was able to sort it out and go through a few hoops and it's done now.

As in previous updates, if anyone finds a problem, please let me know.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Minor forum update

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

So, I've added a number of extensions to make life perhaps a little more interesting/better etc

1) I've added an extension that means that any links to external websites, will now open in a new window - that way you can follow the link, without leaving your favourite forum !!
WORKING NOW

2) I've also added a "Top Poster of the Month" extension, which will list who has posted the most in the month - I don't know yet if this is for the current month or the previous month, so we'll see, shall we ?? EDIT: It is for the CURRENT month !

The Top poster should appear on the "front page" of the forum - click on the top left most link (where it says "UK BOINC Team Forum").
WORKING NOW

3) I've also found and installed a Paypal donation extension.

The hosting and domain registration costs are paid for by me, and have been since day 1.

So, to help cover the costs, a "fund raising" page was added here: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5771 and a few members have been kind enough to make donations.

See here for our current donations accounts: http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/ubt-accounts.html

By adding the extension, it should be easier for members to make a donation via their PayPal account.
SHOULD BE WORKING NOW AT THE TOP LEFT under the UBT logo

4) I've made a change that allows GUESTS to see the first post of a thread. It's called "Show First Post Only to Guest" so it might be enough of a "draw" to get more people to register.
(This is still being configured !!)

If any issues with any of these, please let me know.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:3) I've also added a "Top Poster of the Month" extension, which will list who has posted the most in the month - I don't know yet if this is for the current month or the previous month, so we'll see, shall we ??

The Top poster should appear on the "front page" of the forum - click on the top left most link (where it says "UK BOINC Team Forum"). WORKING NOW
Hi Tim,

Top poster appears to be for the current month as it's me :D ... presently with three posts! :shock:

Regards,

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Hi Tim,

Top poster appears to be for the current month as it's me :D ... presently with three posts! :shock:

Regards,

Mark
Well done - see if you can keep it up 'til the end of the month !!

On a separate note: I would assume that there are no logs kept of who is/was TPOTM for every month...

So, if this is important to anyone, take a screenshot at the end of each month to prove your status...and over the course of each year, we can see who has got the most TPOTM awards !!

PS It seems that admins and mods are excluded from these rankings :-(

regards
Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I'm guessing the Year End prize is Hobnobs?
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:I'm guessing the Year End prize is Hobnobs?
Now THAT would be telling, wouldn't it....!!

But given that THIS years best TPOTM award is only 30 days away, it won't be long before you find out ;-)

regards
Nefarious Tim :-)
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
UBT - Mikee wrote:I'm guessing the Year End prize is Hobnobs?
Now THAT would be telling, wouldn't it....!!

But given that THIS years best TPOTM award is only 30 days away, it won't be long before you find out ;-)

regards
Nefarious Tim :-)
In that case I'm going to make a real effort!

I wonder if edits are counted as separate posts?

(Tried using nefarious during Saturdays Christmas drinks night ... confused the barman :D)

just tried to look and there doesn't appear to be a TPOTM notification any more?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:In that case I'm going to make a real effort!

I wonder if edits are counted as separate posts?

(Tried using nefarious during Saturdays Christmas drinks night ... confused the barman :D)

just tried to look and there doesn't appear to be a TPOTM notification any more?
Hi Mark

TPOTM is still showing - it's only on the very front page and current it shows wkdwill with 20 posts !!

Maybe your browser cache hasn't updated yet?
(And unlike some other tweaks, it is not dependent on a users "permissions").

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

It's not on http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/newforum/ when I go to it, I'll clear the cache and/or try a different browser later.

Regards,

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mark

This is the "snap shot" I took a minute or two ago:
ubt-tpotm-5dec16-o.jpg
regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

All present and accounted for when I log in from home, I guess it may be a work firewall/cache thing.

Regards,

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

There's no logs kept for TPOTM, but it seems Woodles had 168 for December, so I declare him the 1st recipient of the TPOTM Award, whatever that might involve...

The TPOTM stats have now been reset so, January TPOTM will be shown on the forum home page, on an incremental basis and at the end of Jan, I might be able to log who that winner is :-)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Onwards and upwards (good job I don't have an actual social life! :D)