Fundraising (website running costs)

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Re: Fundraising (website running costs)

Post by bigsinky »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:13 am
If you want to make a small donation, then I'm happy to PM you a PayPal address where you can send a few shekels to.

regards
Tim
yes please if you wouldn't mind
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

As you may know, I've been able to update the forum to the latest version and I've now also re-enabled the facility where forum members can make a small donation (via PayPal) towards the running costs of the Team...as for the last few years, apart from a few members who've made donations, I've actually paid for the running costs from my own pocket.

These costs include domain name registrations (for this site as well as the .co.uk and the .com domains) as well as for the website hosting.

FYI: The domain name renewals cost around £7.50 pa for each of the .co.uk and .org.uk domains while the .com is £11.99 pa. Hosting costs are of the order of about £2 pcm. So, yearly costs are around £50.

I do NOT expect anyone to make significant contributions...but a few quid here and there always helps.

Our current accounts are shown here:

http://ukboincteam.org.uk/ubt-accounts.html

As you can see, we are in a bit of credit, due to "HF" donating one of his S/H GTX2080ti GPU's, to which I have assigned it with a value of £500 - so the cash I saved (instead of buying it) I have put towards the running costs over the last 2+ years.

Stop Forum Spam

I've also now been able to re-start using the "Stop Forum Spam" extension, which should help minimise errant forum registrations from "bad actors"

(I had to disable this a while ago, as it stopped working due to a php server issue...but with the new forum software and new php, the latest Stop Forum Spam extension seems to be in good shape - I'll just have to monitor how many "spammy registrations" take place over the next few days, to see if it an improvement :-) ).

regards
Tim
stephenhunter
Active UBT Contributor

Post by stephenhunter »

Hi Tim

Happy to donate if you DM me the paypal details
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

stephenhunter wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:23 pm Hi Tim

Happy to donate if you DM me the paypal details
Hi Stephen

Thanks for the kind offer.

I'll send you a PM, if you want to help out...but as you can see from our published "accounts" (link above), we are slightly in the "black" thanks to one of our generous UBT members who donated a GTX2080 to me, and any monies I would have spent on this, I've been offsetting against the running costs instead.

Of course, some costs might increase in the near future, esp as energy costs increase and maybe domain name renewals will increase...though in both these cases, the increases may only be in single percentile points...and there is one "hidden" cost that may be due soon, which I'll let you know about in the PM. ;-)

regards
Tim