Is everyone away on holidays?

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Is everyone away on holidays?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Seems a bit quiet in 'ere...is everyone away, or is there something on telly that's better ?

Surely there's something going on in the BOINC world that is worth chatting about?

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

Not away (yet) nor watching TV (at the moment) but trying to finish what should be a year long project in seven months!

Boinc is not at the top of my list of activities at the moment sadly.

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Mark,

Good luck with the project :)

I can understand people having important stuff to do...I'm in the same boat, as I'm moving offices !!

So much for having broadband installed a couple of months back - I wonder if BT will be nice to me and cancel the contract - as the new address is even further away from the exchange. :(

regards
Tim
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Hey Guys  :P

My life just been one thing after another,
got a new job then after some time of service we had a huge upheaval and ended up working with the same group of guys but at a new business.
That and I'm a roady for a band  http://www.leonjax.co.uk
So my life is hectic to say the least.
I've not had a decent pc for time, got me a lil i5 rig with a nvidia gtx650Ti in it, so that gimme the bug again and got a lappy i5 and a nvidia shield, talk about 1 extreme to another lol, "just another bipolar thing"    :wink:
Anyhoo I'm around n about again so HIYA everyone  :salute: see yall around.
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Welcome back Terry.  :D

Rick.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Terry wrote:Hey Guys  :P

My life just been one thing after another,
got a new job then after some time of service we had a huge upheaval and ended up working with the same group of guys but at a new business.
That and I'm a roady for a band  http://www.leonjax.co.uk
So my life is hectic to say the least.
Welcome back Terry

Glad you've got the bug again :) And always nice to hear from members who've restarted Crunching :)
I've not had a decent pc for time, got me a lil i5 rig with a nvidia gtx650Ti in it, so that gimme the bug again and got a lappy i5 and a nvidia shield, talk about 1 extreme to another lol, "just another bipolar thing"    :wink:
Anyhoo I'm around n about again so HIYA everyone  :salute: see yall around.
Excellent stuff....and you've timed your return well too, as we need a bit of help on both Asteroids and MilkyWay, otherwise TSBT are going to pull away from us :(

regards
Tim
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Excellent stuff....and you've timed your return well too, as we need a bit of help on both Asteroids and MilkyWay, otherwise TSBT are going to pull away from us :(

regards
Tim
 Hiya m8,  :D

Already on it  :wink:

And Hi Rick :hello2:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Just had a nice week in Turkey - I get back and you've all gone! Seems a bit of a conspiricy going on as TSBT have also dropped off. Did you all go off on a secret, combined mission or something and didn't tell me?

Feeling a bit lonely now and I just fired up a Hudl to try and boost things (not really worth it - it's soo slow!)

I'll just watch a video then... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgaTPz63Bw

Mikee
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Glad you had a good time Mike, we were in Turkey last year, bet it was a bit busier this year!

In Florida at the moment and will be for another two weeks, no sign of other team members or kilt wearing adversaries so no idea where anyone else is I'm afraid.

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Just had a nice week in Turkey - I get back and you've all gone! Seems a bit of a conspiricy going on as TSBT have also dropped off. Did you all go off on a secret, combined mission or something and didn't tell me?
Hi Mikee

Good to hear from you :)

I think it's just the usual "summer slowdown" as people use the longer days for various activities...or to get away from what is (sort of) "summer" and do as you've done and head for warmer climes....hope you had a good break :)
Feeling a bit lonely now and I just fired up a Hudl to try and boost things (not really worth it - it's soo slow!)

I'll just watch a video then... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgaTPz63Bw

Mikee
I think most tablets are well under-speced for any serious crunching - simply due to their lack of cooling. They might be OK, if you can connect them to an ASIC...but then most tabs are using Android and   apart from the RaspPi, I'm not sure if (say) BU supports such a device.

You could see if WU-Prop would run on it though as that is a Non-Intensive app, via a Linux version of BOINC, so it might work under Android ? (as I think there is a port of BOINC on Android now).

Liked the video - reminds me of some of the cartoons that OGWT would show if a band didn't want to do a live performance (this was before the age of videos"...!!).

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Glad you had a good time Mike, we were in Turkey last year, bet it was a bit busier this year!
Hi Mark

Aren't you supposed to be on holiday - cor, I don't know...thought we'd be able to lose you for a while ;)
In Florida at the moment and will be for another two weeks, no sign of other team members or kilt wearing adversaries so no idea where anyone else is I'm afraid.

Mark
Ah - OK...so I guess you did get away then...good for you. Which side of Florida? (ie gulf or east coast)? Unless of course you're doing the Disney thing !!

I've been to FL twice, once for a family reunion and once for a 2 week holiday in St Pete - both times I was able to head over to Cape Canaveral and have a mooch around....really enjoyed being there and can see why loads of yanks retire there...though the heavy afternoon showers were a pain...!!

TSBT also seem to be having a break on BU...so I'm sure things will "hot up" again, once things settle down in the next few months.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Ah - OK...so I guess you did get away then...good for you. Which side of Florida? (ie gulf or east coast)? Unless of course you're doing the Disney thing !!
Hi Tim,

We're in Davenport (mid state) for three weeks ... and they have internet here :D

Third time here, just done the Disney bit, now onto Universal studios (got to give the Minions a visit!)

Kennedy planned for tomorrow although after today's thunderstorm we may leave it a couple of days and go alligator tracking instead. Then a week on Sanibal Island off the gulf coast to recover.
UBT - Timbo wrote:TSBT also seem to be having a break on BU...so I'm sure things will "hot up" again, once things settle down in the next few months.
I see Alex has started up again although at a reduced rate. Steve said a while ago that he was quitting BU so I doubt we'll see him. I plan on restarting crunching when I return, it appears the laptop I left running my Asics has stopped responding as the other projects it was running are also absent. Oh well, it can wait.

Mark