December Crunchathon - POEM@home is chosen

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

December Crunchathon - POEM@home is chosen

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Please see the poll result here: http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic. ... 8464#88464

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

OK done . Took while set WCG as second project and i started few there Wu by accident. Took me while find were set resource share to 0. The web site and set up ugly.  :shock:

saying that one was a GPU wu done in 6.41 sec what hell ..  :o
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

some reason when Pom@home runs out GPU units WCG is not downloading anything or doing anything. I have it set up to download with 0% resource share.

i go away 7 days now tempted put Eistein@home active active again as well on 0% resource share as i know it will always download a gpu unit if pom@home not got one. and if wcg won't give me one.

any idea's
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

You could try setting WCG resource share to, say, 5 if Poem is set to 100. That may kick it off. I've plenty of wus for Poem, though - and had no problems getting any so far to keep it running. If you're away it might be worth increasing BOINCs additional work buffer to try and grab a large number of wus before you go.

Have a good week off!
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

I've set all my other projects to "no new tasks" and aborted any that were waiting to run and hadn't had any work done yet. So Poem should get full time crunching from me from now on....
Ben

Post by Ben »

I have set the old beast to start running POEM when and where possible :) Should hopefully return the first few work units in the next or or so, woohoo!
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

work buffer increase were is that how?

my PC doing 8 CPU pom@home Wu moment graphics cards doing 0.. and  still WCG giving me nothing.

i just tested and allowed eistein@home to download Wu on 0 resources share.

it downloaded straight away two GPU Wu and PC doing 7 pom@home CPU now and 2 Eistein@home 0.5 cpu + graphics card Wu so 9 tasks total.

help i got till tomorrow night to set it up. want leave PC making max points for team if possible. before i go away tomorrow night.

should i allow Eistein@home or anyway force WCG to download me some GPU units?
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

whitecrow wrote:work buffer increase were is that how?

my PC doing 8 CPU pom@home Wu moment graphics cards doing 0.. and  still WCG giving me nothing.
Work buffer increase - In BOINC manager, select Tools then Computing Preferences

Not sure why WCG isn't giving any graphics wus, unless it hasn't got any. Stating the obvious, I know, but - you have got the option to use graphics card set in WCG?
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

Thanks for the info and all help Hg blade.

What do you recommend i set the buffer increase to.

was on 0.25 a day

i set it to 1 day but what do i know.

Any info be great full not leaving till tomorrow night

and yea now i feel dumb i swear to god i clicked custom Profile with my own set up with the graphics card on.

but some reason i checked and it was on power saving.  :shock:  :oops:

i new i didn't like there web site.
so yea i guess it was off the fact i couldn't do graphic card WU.

still not sure working as i got pom@home GPU WU now. :lol: soon see should do i guess..

thanks all help again.
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Glad to be of help.

My buffer load is always set at 2 days, which only causes a problem with seti occasionally when they go off air for maintenance/unplanned downtime.

Sounds like wcg graphics should function now.
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

Apart from a couple of Primegrid WUs that I'm leaving to finish, I'm now only running POEM, including GPU.
I have noticed that POEM doesn't max out the GPU when it's using it, unlike Primegrid or DisRTgen when they've got it. Is POEM not very good at making the most of GPUs?
I've also noticed that since I've started crunching POEm that my RAC is plummeting, they seem to be very stingy with their credits. Not a major issue but I just wondered how credit allocations are worked out between the various projects. I'd have thought that there'd be some degree of consistancy depending on how much processing you're doing for them, but it seems to vary enormously.
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Jeffers wrote: I've also noticed that since I've started crunching POEm that my RAC is plummeting, they seem to be very stingy with their credits. Not a major issue but I just wondered how credit allocations are worked out between the various projects. I'd have thought that there'd be some degree of consistancy depending on how much processing you're doing for them, but it seems to vary enormously.
There is no specific process for introducing consistent credits and, generally, projects will determine their own formula for what they believe to be fair based upon the usage of cpu/gpu. This has always been a real bone of contention with Dave Anderson, one of the main seti guys, who always seems to complain about the higher credit levels of some projects.

No doubt he believes that the projects giving out higher credits takes people away from seti. There may be a small truth in that. However,  I believe that many, like myself, leave seti for long periods because there is doubt that the science behind seti is based on a premise that is being increasingly called into question. If you're a diehard seti fan you'll keep crunching seti regardless of credit levels, I guess.
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

well last night seems my computer did 0 pom@home GPU units and a lot WCG GPU units.

so my credit on pom plummeted .

also setting buffer longer seems download just loads CPU units Not 1 GPU WU.

well i set WCG Resources back 0 and dropped the buffer limit back down and i got some pom@home GPU WU again.

Gone leave it like that.

As for GPU usage on projects so far noticed.

Pom@home = 1 CPU + Graphics card. card runs around 44% most time 30 min run time
Eistein@home 0.5 CPu + Graphics Card. card runs around 70% most time
40 - 45min run time brings a lot heat and noise in to my card fans come on more,
WCG = 1 CPU + Graphics Card runs at around 94% most time average of 6.00 mins. less heat and noise then Einstein.

Eisenstein@HOME is 500 credit a Wu but as only uses 0.5 cpu can do now 9 tasks not 8 with 8 processors.
not sure 100% on others
Wcg so far 60.3 to 71.8 a WU they do take 6 Min's mind
pom no idea credit really.

well see you in 7 days everyone. happy crunching.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

hgblade wrote:....There is no specific process for introducing consistent credits and, generally, projects will determine their own formula for what they believe to be fair based upon the usage of cpu/gpu. This has always been a real bone of contention with Dave Anderson, one of the main seti guys, who always seems to complain about the higher credit levels of some projects.

No doubt he believes that the projects giving out higher credits takes people away from seti. There may be a small truth in that. However,  I believe that many, like myself, leave seti for long periods because there is doubt that the science behind seti is based on a premise that is being increasingly called into question. If you're a diehard seti fan you'll keep crunching seti regardless of credit levels, I guess.
Sadly, I think that they (the BOINC developers), did the wrong thing by introducing credits, as this does leave some projects open to becoming the plaything of creditwhores, who are only interested in how much credit they get, rather than crunching just to help the projects ultimate aim....and receiving an inordinately high number of credits from a specific project could be considered to be a bit selfish, in the grans scheme of things.

I'd be happier if they just gave you one credit for each WU you completed.....irrespective of how long each WU took. Then it's be down to the project to make the WU's "suitable" and not too intensive.....mind you, if a CPDN WU takes 6 months to complete, then some people might get a bit upset...but they can always introduce checkpoints, say everyday, and each checkpoint is equivalent to a WU from another project.

Alternatively, though, with CPU's becoming very powerful, it might just be better if BOINC assigns a score purely based on the amount of time spent crunching each WU - so if any WU takes 10 hours, you get 10 credits....then it levels out the playing field a whole lot better...

Mind you, BOINC has been going for a long time now and if any changes were going to happen, they'd have happened by now ;)

Just my 2c :)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Anyone else had any issues uploading WU results to POEM@home ?

I can't even access their website at: http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/

regards
Tim
jubba

Post by jubba »

This morning i couldnt upload but now it seems fine.

edit: cancel my last, it did upload and is now hanging halfway through lol.
Glitch  :roll:
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Seems to be a problem with Poem's servers at the moment.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

A bit hit and miss this morning then nothing for the last three hours.
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

It does seem to be struggling. I've got results queued waiting to upload. I have been able to access their site but it's very slow and has timed out a few times.

I've been trying to find out if the current crunch is achieving anything, as there haven't been any progress reports since it started. I'm only crunching POEM at the moment and I want to be sure it's a worthwhile effort....
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Jeffers wrote:I've been trying to find out if the current crunch is achieving anything, as there haven't been any progress reports since it started. I'm only crunching POEM at the moment and I want to be sure it's a worthwhile effort....
If you check on Temujins website http://www.ubtstats.co.uk, then you can check the stats for POEM over the last week or so....I'd look it up myself, but I've only got a mobile connection today :(

regards
Tim
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

All appears to be working OK now.

I have been looking at Temujin's stats page, and we're already UK no.1 by a long way. I was wondering if the current crunch was helping our world standings.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

We're currently 34th in the World rankings and due to overtake Richards Dawkins in 17 days.

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/58/team/list/
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

Cheers, that was what I was looking for, I've bookmarked it for future reference.  It looks to me that BOINC Synergy will be the next for us to overtake.

We're not going to gain many places overall though, looking at some of the massive credits the top teams have got.
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

Hi all i will be back home tommrow and will see why both my computers are not sending anything.

hope they not been stolan. :shock:
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi Whitecrow, I think we all hope they have not been stolen, may need to add another 50p to the meeter though  :lol:
I am currently back to one PC after frying a PSU, added a second ATi card and the PSU gave up after about 2hrs, strange why it did that shortly after getting work from Poem  :twisted:
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

Ok just got back at around 9.00 clock night both computers are on.

But at log in screen.

asked around and there was electric cut shortly after i left what bummer .  :x  :?  :x
well computers had resti guess.  :P

should be adding points on tomorrow .

sorry for lost points but i was to far away to do anything =/
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

If you want to see (graphically) how well the Crunch is going then check this out:

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/58/team/detail/19/charts

and check out the 4th chart down, showing the "Recent Average RAC", and the "boost" in results since 2012-12-07 :)

(This site is less "intensive" that the UBTStats site, which doesn't load up for me, when I'm using my laptop tethered to my mobile phone, which is how I access the web most days).

regards
Tim
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

I don't know how everyone else has been getting on, but I've had some issues with POEM.
I've had to stop it trying to run GPU based units as they don't work, their progress stops at a low figure (the last one was 0.300%) while elapsed and estimated time to completion both go up. I tried a couple of configuration tweaks suggested by their forum, but neither worked.
So I've just been crunching CPU but these seem to have dried up this morning, I've looked at their homepage, there's no mention of any issues but I've had no work from them.
So, for the moment, I've re-enabled some of my other projects just to get some work done.

P.S. Just done another update on POEM, still nothing.....
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

I knew we should have plumped for WCG.  :lol:
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

I've had no problems with Poem at all today - both CPU and GPU are running fine, as are updates and downloads.
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

Strange, I'm still not getting anything....and I've done a PC reboot this morning just to tidy things up.
Technology, eh? :?
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

Was fine yesterday but today my computer went mad got loads WCG Units at moments and 0 pom@home units.

pom@home 100% work share
WCG 0% share

main computer now got 20 WCG WU and  0 pom@home.

Updating and nothing .
so yea  your not only one not getting any WU.
But WCG is second project so fine to crunch that it mean time i guess.
sure there sort it out.

noting on forums and server statues looks fine and wu there so god knows why.

got two pom@home wu in permanent download not working half way stuck.  :cry:
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Mine's still updating okay. It must like me!! (Hopefully an omen for Santa!  :lol: )
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Jeffers wrote:I don't know how everyone else has been getting on, but I've had some issues with POEM.

snip

Hiya

I've had no issues with POEM - what you might want to try is to force some WU's to be downloaded - try going to BOINC Manager

then Alt-T (Tools) then select "Computing preferences..." and in the tab for "network preferences" change the "minimum work buffer" to say 6.0 (for 6 days)

HOWEVER, you might want to do this once any existing WU's (from other projects) have been completed :)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Just a quick update on the Crunchathon stats:

POEM@home

as of 7th Dec 2012

139,971,234 credits, 36th place in the world

as of 20th Dec

150,192,530 credits, now 34th

1st in UK (n/c)

WCG

as of 7th Dec 2012

57,583,755 credits, 130th place in the world

as of 20th Dec 2012

58,866,688 credits, now 129th

3rd in UK (n/c)

regards
Tim
E & O.E. - stats taken from BOINCstats.com
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

UBT - Founder wrote:
Jeffers wrote:I don't know how everyone else has been getting on, but I've had some issues with POEM.

snip

Hiya

I've had no issues with POEM - what you might want to try is to force some WU's to be downloaded - try going to BOINC Manager

then Alt-T (Tools) then select "Computing preferences..." and in the tab for "network preferences" change the "minimum work buffer" to say 6.0 (for 6 days)

HOWEVER, you might want to do this once any existing WU's (from other projects) have been completed :)

regards
Tim
Done that.... now got lots of work queued up! Including some POEM now.
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Hi ...No problems with poem on both pc's  :shock:
david

Post by david »

I've had no problems across my 3 M/C's all behaving as they should

Mind you i do talk to them in a very stern manner,they like that, plus the occasional thrashing with a wet celery stalk

David
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

david wrote:   Mind you i do talk to them in a very stern manner,they like that, plus the occasional thrashing with a wet celery stalk

David
I'll bet you threaten to take away their Fosters!  :lol:
Ben

Post by Ben »

I've only just twigged that this project now supports OpenCL  :oops: Needless to say i went straight to go and enable the application for this via the website and i already find that it is enabled?? I don't seem to have had any tasks for the ATI - Just CPU...  :?:
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi Ben, just had a load of ATi wu download, they have been in short supply just recently.
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

Still getting loads problems here getting WU  really all over place.

But seems cause my problem is my own router it's going nuts.  :(  :?

one the Antennas felled off as well on it..  :shock:  bit sticky tape and glue holding my router at moment.

not even joking, my signal all over place.
I can get Wu kind of but it's god dam hard lot kicking screaming with it for it do anything.

Looks like after Christmas and new year. new router be in order.

:?  so it was not world ending on 21/12/2012 it was just fact my Antenna was gone fall of my router.?

dam how did they know.  :P
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Another update on the Crunchathon stats:

POEM@home

as of 7th Dec 2012

as of 27th Dec

157,483,529 credits, now 33rd

1st in UK (n/c)

WCG

as of 7th Dec 2012

as of 27th Dec 2012

59,463,357 credits, and still 129th, but may overtake "IBM Brazil - CF" in about 2 days time :-)

3rd in UK (n/c)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I've just been looking at the "Best Ten Days" on BOINCstats.com, as far as POEM@Home is concerned...

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/58/team/ ... /bestxdays

(even though it only seems to show the best 5 days :-( )

Be that as it may, our BESTEST days have been during this Crunch, namely:

Date                 Credit
2012-12-27 1,218,746
2012-12-25 1,213,316
2012-12-24 1,205,445
2012-12-26 1,173,323
2012-12-29 1,164,843

I'll produce a FINAL report on this Crunch in the next day, after I take a "snapshot" of the credit totals sometime after midnight tonight.

regards and well done to everyone who got involved with this, and at such short notice too....
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

The final update on the Crunchathon stats (based on a snapshot I took on the afternoon of New Years Day, by which time I would have expected any returned WU's to have been awarded credits):

POEM@home

as of 7th Dec 2012

as of 1st Jan

161,064,920 credits, now 32nd - so we're gained 4 places :)

1st in UK (n/c)

WCG

as of 7th Dec 2012

as of 1st Jan

60,023,435 credits, and now 128th, gaining 2 places :)

3rd in UK (n/c)

WELL DONE and THANK YOU to everyone who got involved with this.

regards
Tim