Christmas/December Crunch idea ??

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Christmas/December Crunch idea ??

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I'd like to take a sounding for a UBT "Christmas (or Yuletide/December/Pagan) Crunch" where the team makes a big effort for one main project (and another as a backup, in case we drain the main project of WU's :shock: ) and try and generate loads of credits.

It's a bit late in the day I know, but if we ran this during some period (say) from 1st until 31st December, then we could give a big boost to a worthy project. I'm open to any idea anyone would like to suggest for the actual dates....starting on 1st Dec might be too short notice for some.....esp if they have a stock of WU's waiting to be processed :)

As to "which" project ???? That's maybe where we need to put together a short list of candidates....and maybe take a vote once we've got maybe half a dozen options....

regards
Tim

PS Earlier today, I used MailChimp to send out a newsletter to lots of UBT members about this idea - but the 2nd set of emails went out incorrectly....a corrected email will be sent out tomorrow (as MailChimp only allows upto 2000 emails to be sent per day and I've already used up my quotient for today :( )
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Good idea Tim. I`m running WCG at the moment, so to start things off, I propose WCG as a project.
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Well, I'm with you on that. I'll go along with any project, but will propose Primegrid.
david

Post by david »

My 2bob's worth Poem it doesn't run on graphics cards and thus does not skew results and it is a worthy in the medical research field

David
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Thanks for those suggestions - WCG, PrimeGrid and Poem are now on the list....

Can we get maybe another 2-3 projects proposed by say this Saturday night and then it's vote time....

regards
Tim
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Hi All  :D

I'm with David on this, and for the same reasons.

Poem would be my choice for a Team Crunch   8)
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

I add Einstein@home to the vote. WCG and Poem@home good as well.

don't mind  :D
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

I've not run POEM yet, so I'd be happy to give it some support. Already running Primegrid so that'd get some WUs done anyway.

PS. Just checked Primegrid and it's not giving out work at the moment so an alternate reserve project might be needed.
UBT - Rick Horn

PG is still giving out work for GPUs.
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

It's not giving me any.... just checked my preferences etc and done an update, still nothing.

Update... also tried a project reset, then another update, still nothing. This is odd as the stats page shows that I've had credits added in the last 24 hours....
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

I am not around tonight vote.

I like choose Poem@home.

It's reason i came back this year to crunch with UK Boinc team.
After my Grandma died cancer this year.
Also my dads friend died this year and when i was 12 years old boy class died cancer as well.

I would like do this project to dedicate it to all lost family and friends of such deadly cancer over the years in this country.

Seems all most everyone knows someone who had cancer or died cancer.

+ i am all rdy Crunching it :-)  :P
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

I suppose that we ought to consider those projects where our output could do with a bit of a boost, like say Ibercivis or maybe RNA World (that said, I haven't run either of these projects in a long time and so I've no idea how much work these two projects produce or how stable they are). :?

I guess my vote will have to go to WCG (partly because of it's worthiness, but mainly cos I'm already running it ;) ), although I'm happy to join in with whatever project the rest of the team picks.
jubba

Post by jubba »

Hi all,
i vote einstein but mainly because im crunching it anyway hehe.
But any worthy cause is fine :)
UBT - Rick Horn

Jeffers wrote:It's not giving me any.... just checked my preferences etc and done an update, still nothing.
I`m definitely still getting new work for PPS sieve for gpu.
Not sure if other sub-projects are running, but I suspect they are.

Rick.
Timby

Post by Timby »

As I have not crunched for a while, I will go with the teams choice, happy to change from my 2 projects I'm on at the moment, eg. PG and Collatz.
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:
Jeffers wrote:It's not giving me any.... just checked my preferences etc and done an update, still nothing.
I`m definitely still getting new work for PPS sieve for gpu.
Not sure if other sub-projects are running, but I suspect they are.

Rick.
Got work now, dunno what was happening earlier....  :?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

The Crunchathon POLL is now up and awaiting YOUR vote !!

http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic.php?t=5385

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Please see the poll result here: http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic. ... 8464#88464

regards
Tim
david

Post by david »

And yer wouldn't believe it one of my M/C's on POEM has decided to throw the trotters up in the air  :evil: not sure yet if it is hardware or software,think software Hmmm!!!! i nearly swore :shock: most unlike me :D

David
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

I set my PC and my laptop carry on Crunching pom@home and WCG as second now.

I recommend everyone makes sure you got WCG set up as i do for your second.

If you have graphics card you gone make sure you got WCG set up as Pom@home is mainly CPU work based WU there is shortage of CPU-graphics card units out there.

If you get one it uses a whole CPU and graphics card. And there worth lot points.

I always had Einstein@home before for my graphics cards as back up but changed to WCG for team Crunch.

Einstein@home only used 0.5 of a CPU and Graphics card so need less CPU power for that.

not done WCG so interested to see how that runs.

i go Holiday for over week so if Electric cut or something i be out for week sorry :-(  :x  hope they do ok with out me.
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

My two working machines need to run down their stock of WCG units, but hopefully it won't take too long before I'm crunching Poem with the rest of you. :D