Another idea - for a "Cafe" category ??

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Another idea - for a "Cafe" category ??

Post by UBT - Timbo »

I've found this whole NEW forum thing to be a great idea, and I'm really appreciative of the HUGE effort made by Darren and David with regards to evolving this forum very quickly - by gad, this place has only been open 4 days......and look at it now...!

However, I've noticed that this forum has just one drawback over the Yahoo one.

And it is that with so many different forum "categories", it's pretty tricky to keep up with all the various threads.

So, one idea might be is to have a "Cafe" section (although one or two other current categories might already fit the bill), where one can have an almost online "chat" with anyone who is logged on and on ANY topic.

At least with the single category on the Yahoo group, it was fairly easy to keep a thread going. But with multiple threads, it's a bit more tricky - have to keep hitting the "view post since last visit" link to see if any replies have been posted....!

This is not a complaint - just wondering how easy a "Cafe" category could be set up, where non-specific topics could be "talked about"? May be the description of one of the less used categories could be tweaked so that there's a specific place to go, if one's bored or just wants a chat....?

Maybe the "off-topic" one would be best?

regards

Tim
Temujin

Re: Another idea - for a "Cafe" category ??

Post by Temujin »

wouldn't that all fit in the Off Topic forum?

[edit]
Oops, I was so excited about me hobnobs that I didn't notice you'd mentioned the same thing
Last edited by Temujin on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Or :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: Drum Roll :idea: :idea: Applause :idea:

How about the addition of a php chat room these can be added to this kind of board, could make for better team spirit being able to type in real time
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Or :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: Drum Roll :idea: :idea: Applause :idea:

How about the addition of a php chat room these can be added to this kind of board, could make for better team spirit being able to type in real time
Sounds good.

But seriously.
From a workload point of view, I'd be worried about putting more workload onto kind Darren of Sir Dazza fame - he really has pulled his finger out to get this entire thing up and running.

So, I'd be keen perhaps that, maybe a simple tweak to the existing forum might be all that's called for, for now.

Then when we go fully live :wink: with the forum, (and given it's still really still supposed to be in Alpha, while things are put in place) so then a "chat" facility might be worth a go.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Thats ok, its there if/when we want to use it,

the chat room account it would link to is free so that wouldn't be a concern at least.
Darren

Post by Darren »

UBT - Halifax-lad

won't load the java window for me keeps failing
Darren

Post by Darren »

Just summat that my host offers "free"
but if it doesn't work....

I have a lot of stuff to get done at the minute but I should get some time on Saturday. I'll look then.
Darren

Post by Darren »

I am certain that the number of posts/night will calm down once the novelty has worn off
UBT - Halifax-lad

Dazza wrote:I am certain that the number of posts/night will calm down once the novelty has worn off
That is true give it a few weeks, even BOINC synergy which is massive is quite manageable to read through
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

It kinda loaded for me.
I got a window with box with an orange border and a logout link but I couldn't do anything with / in it.

When I tried to close it (Alt+F4 & Alt+f +c) nothing happened so I had to use the Task Manager which totally killed IE6.

Darren

Post by Darren »

oops, sorry.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well your chat room link works now took about 45 seconds to log in as a Guest