It really is Adams (not even Bell) intending coming from Hil

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

I wish I knew what the poster was on about, they seem really enthusiastic about it ... still, at least I got a cheap NFL jersey from it  :lol:
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Unfortunately it is also spam.
Post deleted.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

On another forum I frequent (also phpBB but maybe a newer version) they have a little red exclamation mark you can click to report spam posts. These reported posts then become easily visible for a mod to deal with ie delete the posts & ban the user.

Would something like this be useful here if it can be implemented?
UBT - Rick Horn

Temujin wrote:On another forum I frequent (also phpBB but maybe a newer version) they have a little red exclamation mark you can click to report spam posts. These reported posts then become easily visible for a mod to deal with ie delete the posts & ban the user.

Would something like this be useful here if it can be implemented?
It seems an excellent idea John. Any method of reducing spam has to be worth a try.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Sounds like a good idea to me, I can never remember who I should point the spam out to!
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Great idea....as we seem to be getting more and more spam of late..

Lets see if our admins can come up with something.

b. :D
UBT - Rick Horn

Woodles wrote:Sounds like a good idea to me, I can never remember who I should point the spam out to!
ME!
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Rick  :spam1: Horn

UBT - Rick Horn

UBT - bobuk wrote:Great idea....as we seem to be getting more and more spam of late..

Lets see if our admins can come up with something.

Unfortunately the chances of contacting an admin are slim.
I have been sending PMs to Darren for over three months, and they have all been flagged as unread.
I`m afraid you`re likely to be stuck with mods!  

:wink:
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

I don't know what version this board is but there are some tips on the phpBB forums about blocking spam and the recent increase in it (I like the Q&A register procedure, a Boinc based question should let real people get in and block the bots).

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2122696
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Just an update:

The forum software used here is a bit on the old side now.....but it is reliable, and easy-ish to adapt, with various tried and tested "mods" and "add-ins"....

However, while the phpBB software has moved on, it's an issue about whether we change the software and *hope* that all the existing threads can be exported into the new version.....and previous experience of the newer version of software indicates that it's not so simple or easy.

If the *only* major issue is to do with spam-bots then we can deal with that simply enough - either by PM to Rick or me, or via an email to me (founder at ukboincteam.com).

If we think we need extra functions, then I'm sure we can come up with a plan to try and migrate from the existing version to a newer, more functional version.

regards
Tim
UBT - Rick Horn

The amount of spam has been much less of late, and is certainly easily handled.
If spam is the only major issue on the forum, I don`t feel it would be worth risking an upset to update it.