Users v members

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Users v members

Post by Jeffers »

I'm puzzled.....

The team has "1845+" members, right?

But this Forum shows membership as just 323. Where is everyone? I would expect anybody that's a team member to be registered for the Forums as well.

Any ideas? Seems a bit strange to me. :?
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Well, speaking for myself, I joined the team in December 2005, and although I kept an eye on the forum (in order to keep a look out for team crunches etc), I didn't actually feel the need to sign up until last year.  :?
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Some people just aren't as keen on forums as others. As Josh says, some may read the posts without feeling the need to join in :D

We also have a chat room running in MSN, and that seems to be limited to only five members! :lol:
Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Post by Sir Cracked of the Mind »

See, I avoid chat rooms, writing in the forum, gives me time to review my post before you see them, in chat rooms you get the unfiltered version, which can be a bit abrasive.

See different strokes for different folks, some just like to watch!!!!!!

UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Somewhere around 6 team members to 1 forum member is quite common.
UBT - Rick Horn

Re: Users v members

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Jeffers wrote:I'm puzzled.....

The team has "1845+" members, right?

But this Forum shows membership as just 323. Where is everyone? I would expect anybody that's a team member to be registered for the Forums as well.

Any ideas? Seems a bit strange to me. :?
It seems even stranger to me to have members who go to the trouble to sign up for forum membership, and never post anything.  :roll:
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:
It seems even stranger to me to have members who go to the trouble to sign up for forum membership, and never post anything.  :roll:
You (and I ) will be responsible for some of those (spammers who have had their posts deleted), others may just want to look at more than the "open" forum.
UBT - Rick Horn

Don`t mention spammers, Mark. I think we are overdue for some somehow!
MAVRIK

Post by MAVRIK »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:It seems even stranger to me to have members who go to the trouble to sign up for forum membership, and never post anything.  :roll:
Not really because there is parts of the forum you can't see unless you sign up!!!
UBT - Rick Horn

MAVRIK wrote:
UBT - Rick Horn wrote:It seems even stranger to me to have members who go to the trouble to sign up for forum membership, and never post anything.  :roll:
Not really because there is parts of the forum you can't see unless you sign up!!!
That`s a fair point, but if they never post, they are in danger of having their account made dormant.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:That`s a fair point, but if they never post, they are in danger of having their account made dormant.
Hi,

Just for clarification purposes:

1) We don't make anyones forum account "dormant" unless there's a good reason - which is mainly to do with people abusing their forum account - so we just ensure they can't use the same email addy and/or user name again, by keeping the account and hence it can't be duplicated....

If someone joins the forum and never posts, then their account will remain active, until such time as perhaps the forum database needs a "spring clean" and any account that hasn't been accessed for an extended period of time, might be deleted.

2) The main forum is open to everyone for viewing. Postings to the forum are only possible if you are a member (this is an anti-spam measure).

There is a specific part of the forum which is available only for team members - I check the membership list fairly often and upgrade forum accounts if I see that the member has supplied credits to the team.

regards

Tim
UBT - Nogbo

Post by UBT - Nogbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:There is a specific part of the forum which is available only for team members

Just curious which part of the forum this is, as I appear to have access to the same parts of the forum when I am not logged in as I do when I am.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - Nogbo wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:There is a specific part of the forum which is available only for team members

Just curious which part of the forum this is, as I appear to have access to the same parts of the forum when I am not logged in as I do when I am.
Following the section "Other Stuff - on open view"

should be

"Other Sections - UK BOINC Team members only."

If you do not have access send a  PM to UBT - Timbo to be added (and if you have access when not logged in PM him as well because that should not happen)
UBT - Nogbo

Post by UBT - Nogbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:Following the section "Other Stuff - on open view"

should be

"Other Sections - UK BOINC Team members only."

If you do not have access send a  PM to UBT - Timbo to be added (and if you have access when not logged in PM him as well because that should not happen)
Cheers Mark, that's the section I am missing.  PM sent
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Timbo usually opens those sections up to new members after they've crunched so many credits for the team, thus proving they've not joined the forum to spy for another team. You must have fallen through the net, Nogbo, as you've been with us for a while now!  :D
UBT - Nogbo

Post by UBT - Nogbo »

If it's just a case that I have not been with the team long enough then fair enough.

Just didn't want to be missing anything  :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:Timbo usually opens those sections up to new members after they've crunched so many credits for the team, thus proving they've not joined the forum to spy for another team. You must have fallen through the net, Nogbo, as you've been with us for a while now!  :D
Hi,

The main reason for not updating some members forum accounts has been a lack of spare time (on my part).

July for me has proved to be a real busy month...so, I've not had much time to myself to then tweak things....

But Nogbo has been sorted now and others will follow probably tomorrow.

The actual criteria to have a forum account "upgraded" is simply that the member crunches and has earned some credits for UBT...there's no specific "value" criteria.....!

regards

Tim
UBT - Nogbo

Post by UBT - Nogbo »

WOAH a new playground to play in  :D

Cheers Tim