How McDonald's is eating up the Amazon

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Halifax-lad

How McDonald's is eating up the Amazon

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Taken from Greenpeace

See a neat animation :!:
6 April 2006

The Amazon rainforest covers 5% of the world's land and extends over some 7.8 million kilometres. It is one of the most biodiverse regions on earth - at least 30% of the world's land-based animal and plant species live there. The Amazon is also home to about 220,000 people from 180 different indigenous nations who live deep in the rainforest, and it plays a vital role in maintaining the world's climate.

Yet all this is threatened by deforestation to make room to grow soya beans.

In the last three years 70,000 km2 of Amazon rainforest has been destroyed - that's an area of forest the size of six football pitches every minute. Much of this destruction has been driven by the soya industry.

New Greenpeace research shows how this soya is being fed to the chickens that you eat at places like McDonald's. We have documented thousands of tonnes of soya is being exported from the heart of the Amazon into the UK. The soya is then fed to millions of chickens in the farms that supply McDonald's. This means that every time you buy a Chicken McNugget you're taking a bite out of the Amazon.

This morning seven-foot-tall chickens invaded McDonald's outlets across Britain in London, Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol and Southampton to expose McDonald's role in Amazon destruction. Overnight, scores of restaurants from Edinburgh to Southampton were fly-posted with images of a chainsaw-wielding Ronald McDonald.

The invasion follows a Greenpeace investigation that shows how soya is transported from the Amazon to an illegally built port facility in the town of Santarem - owned by US company Cargill - before being shipped to Europe to be fed to animals for McDonald's meat. Greenpeace investigators tracked shipments from Santarem to Liverpool, then followed and photographed Brazilian soya cargoes as they were delivered to chicken farms that supply McDonald's across Europe.

Using satellite images, aerial surveillance, previously unreleased government documents and on-the-ground undercover monitoring, campaigners have for the first time been able to track the trade in soya beans from the Amazon rainforest to the Chicken McNuggets eaten in restaurants across Europe.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

McDonnalds buy the chicken not the beans, blame the ones who farm the chickens, but then the chicken farmers might not know where the soya is grown, blame the soya importers then - phewwww, but if mcD's are importing the beans direct, then go and blame McD's

One of my company's manufactures corrugated cartons, we make sure our suppliers use as much recycled material as possible and any virgin pulp is to come from sustainable forest's (in other words they plant new trees). But if my suppliers are lying through their back teeth, supplying shady amazon trees that I know nothing of, then Greenwhoever gets a whiff and goes straight to the end of the chain and then blames my customers, who could be i.e Kellogs.  New Scam don't eat cornflakes, the boxes they come in where made from shady amazon trees. :roll:

Anywayz I'm off for a Chicken Deli mmmmmmm
UBT - Halifax-lad

If that is the attitude people take regarding these issues then we are all doomed. The fact is McDonald's are using Soya that comes from destroyed forests, it wouldn't be too hard for them to get soya from somewhere that is more environmentally friendly.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Before I start!   Do Mc'D own the chicken farms? I don't know, even so you can't blame the chicken farmer, it's the responsibity of the soya grower who ever that be, if Mc'D own the soya grower then blame M'cD

It seams some people are to quick to jump down the likes of mcD's throat, how many other companys use the same soya supplier? blame the soya suppliers they are the ones suppling, Mc'D are a user and will more than likely be going for the cheapest supplier not necessarily the best.

I agree Mc'D should find a new supplier and greenpeace do all they can about sorting the soya supplying industry and not blaming the biggest end user companys 2 or 3 links down the chain.

I'd bet that McD given half the chance of a better chicken/soya supplier for the same price would jump at the offer, stands better for their customers.

Tha Chicken Deli I just had was mmmmmmmmmm, got molecules from the amazon in me belly, betta be on the look out for seven foot chickens puttin "nil by mouth" stickers over me gob LooooooooooL
UBT - Halifax-lad

Yes the blame is on the other company that produces the Soya, but it is also McDonald's problem too they should not use a supplier who is reckless, and produces this way.

The blame is not just on McD's but all the supermarkets too, the focus is on McD's as they are the biggest company out there receiving the ill gotten soya, there are articles about the supermarkets with in all the literature.

Ain't been in McD's since I was little, its full of crappy cardboard junk food & Chavs  :lol:  :lol:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

just readin the greenpeace crimefile and found this

AMAZON DESTRUCTION:
A FOOD INDUSTRY PROBLEM
McDonald’s, of course, is not the only major food company
implicated in the destruction of the Amazon rainforest. Over 30
major supermarket chains and fast food outlets were contacted
by Greenpeace at the beginning of 2006; none responded that it
is currently distinguishing between Amazon and non-Amazon soya
used by their meat suppliers. Without such segregation, all are
implicated in Amazon forest crime.

I'll let greenpeace off a bit, I still think their advertizing unfair regarding the way Ronald got his chainsaw out, they should have the other users on there giving him a hand,  :jerk:  :shock:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:I'll let greenpeace off a bit, I still think their advertizing unfair regarding the way Ronald got his chainsaw out, they should have the other users on there giving him a hand,  :jerk:  :shock:
I think they used Ronald as he is a know figure through out the world, if they were to use something else I think half the world would think who the hell is that
UBT - Steve Taylor

Post by UBT - Steve Taylor »

I take the view that it is I the consumer who has the power here if i don't like something i don't shop there

so i buy as many meat products as possible from local butcher
fruit and veg from market where possible
if i do have to shop in supermarket i buy as much fairtrade as possible now they are bothering to stock it

my small contribution
UBT - Halifax-lad

Glad to see you are doing all that, educating people is the biggest step
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Glad to see you are doing all that, educating people is the biggest step

Hi David,

Am in total agreement with you, but would also add the following:

EVERY consumer must accept the repsonsibility for whatever they purchase, because by making any purchase, you are creating a further demand, as whatever it is you have bought will need to be re-stocked by the shop and hence re-ordered from the same source.

Only by a campaign of education and by consumers accepting responsibility for their actions, can we as a whole stop the trade in these products that have "baggage" attached to them.

Fairtrade products is one route. Not buying from "mega-conglomerates" who are only interested in themselves and their shareholders is another.

So, the moral is: "think what impact your purchase will have and then decide if that decision is something you can "live" with".

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Havoc
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Havoc »

Very simple...

Watch super size me

Excellent and funny film will put you off Mc's forever, worked for me....
UBT - Halifax-lad

Need to get around to watching that
Havoc
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Havoc »

Post removed by me.
Last edited by Havoc on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Tut tut
UBT - PiezPiedPy

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Need to get around to watching that
You don't need to see it , use your imagination :? Eeeeeeeeeeeeee

Must be sumit wrong with me, I still go to McD's :shock: