Wahoo faster internet

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Halifax-lad

Wahoo faster internet

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

My cable exchange was finally upgraded in my area this weekend, got loads extra speed for free, its ace so much quicker than before
Dear Customer,

We're pleased to tell you that we have upgraded your speed from 512k to up to 2Mb. We have also increased your upstream speed to up to 256k from 128k.
Temujin

Re: Wahoo faster internet

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:My cable exchange was finally upgraded in my area this weekend, got loads extra speed for free, its ace so much quicker than before
Nice one :thumbup:
I had to wait ages just to get 512k, god knows how long 2Mb will take :(
UBT - Halifax-lad

Just upgraded to 4Mb Broadband for £7 extra a month.

Was either upgrade or pay £5 extra a month to enable my Virus & Spyware Protection and also Identity Theft Protection (the free trial had expired) as the Firewall was feeling lonely all on its own in the security centre.

So decided a speed upgrade was in need, have the benefits of my security center fully working and also a increase of 2Mb in speed.

48hrs and I will be twice as fast as what I am now :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Just upgraded to 4Mb Broadband for £7 extra a month.

Was either upgrade or pay £5 extra a month to enable my Virus & Spyware Protection and also Identity Theft Protection (the free trial had expired) as the Firewall was feeling lonely all on its own in the security centre.

So decided a speed upgrade was in need, have the benefits of my security center fully working and also a increase of 2Mb in speed.

48hrs and I will be twice as fast as what I am now :D

Cor, see what these "townies" get???? And us country bumpkins, have to cope with putting a piece of string between two tin cans just to have a chance of communicating with the next town never mind the outside world...!

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well my next step is going to be 10Mb but that will probably be a couple of months off before I get around to signing up for that
UBT - Halifax-lad

Hows that for service 13 hours after asking to be upgraded and its been done :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Well my next step is going to be 10Mb but that will probably be a couple of months off before I get around to signing up for that

I think I mentioned before that one of my relatives lives in Hong Kong and has a 100Mb service !!!

And we think even 2Mb is "kewl" - talk about "backward" !!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

I wouldn't know what to do with 100Mb. but I suppose that is where we are slowly heading
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote: And we think even 2Mb is "kewl"
Ahem, there are some of us that still think 512Kb is "kewl"  :oops:
Havoc
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Advice from an NTL repair engineer

Post by Havoc »

Sound advice. As some of you may have read I work for NTL as a repair engineer.

Heres my advice to anyone whos thinking of upgrading their connection.

I had the option of getting NTL's upto 10 Meg service for 1/3rd cost, but I chose to go with BTs upto 8 Meg service even after being told I should only expect 4.5 Meg from my exchange.

I requested the new BT hub after a couple of years using their 2Meg service and about 8 days after ordering it, it arrived and I set it up.
I was still getting the old 2 meg service but in the paperwork it advised to give upto 10 days to be fine tuned to a higher speed. 3 days later I'm getting about 6Meg when tested using
http://speedcheck.ispconnect.co.uk/
which although this util is not a perfect tester it is close enough, and its the test I use when dealing with the faults Im sent to fix.

I watched the Gadget show some weeks ago and they did a report from South Korea and they have 100 Meg wireless service. So the only thing that stops providers in this country following suit is the cost of the equipment and level of charge for the service.

I'm sure BT could ramp upto 20 - 50 Meg in one year with about 90% city coverage but rural areas would lag behind for a few years before they would be able to provide a similar level of service.

NTL would be lucky to provide a stable 10 Meg service in the same time frame due to serveral problems but mainly cost and equipment provided. Its a fine art balancing a customers service within the tolerances. Incoming signal strength has to be set to about -9 DBmvs and the return path signal should be lower than 54 DBmvs. But the installers don't have a clue how to get these results and to be brutally honest most of the engineers of my level don't have the first clue about PCs let alone testing the service properly. The network is still run as a co-axial tree and branch type network instead of a total fibre system to the local street side cabs then a direct feed via co-axial to each house.

But the biggest problem for most customers is the complete lack of training the installers get, the limited training the engineers get, even how to access the stand alone modems built in software to check the levels and of course the management.

I could rave for page after page about the customer services, techincal support and the quality of service and equipment provided to customers etc etc. But if anyone wants to know how to check their service and what readings you should be gettings etc etc then feel free to ask using the PM service of this forum or email me direct malsop@btinternet.com

So in summary

Nothing offered by a company is ever totally free, if it is free its not worth having or is misleadingly sold...

Save your money and pay for the more expensive BT service as you will save the £s in phone bills

Rant complete....

PS. Expecting my P45 to arrive in the post in the next few days..
[/url]
UBT - Halifax-lad

Would not touch BT if they were the only provider in my area, they have crap customer service, plenty of people who don't know what there talking about and are way more expensive that what I pay now. I know as I left BT to go to brighter places
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

BT are a joke (also twisted pair = shit security, try splicing into Fibre Cable without gettin nicked!!)

Blueyonder m8

Spot on connection speeds (what they advertise you get)
No Bandwidth limit (spit on BT)
Coax to end of street then out through Fibre(weeeeeee  no bottle neck)

In my case 60mtr of Coax from comp to Multiplexer at end of street, then 7 mile of Fibre to Knowsley Hubs twin satellite dishes. (Get out there :twisted: )
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:BT are a joke (also twisted pair = s*** security, try splicing into Fibre Cable without gettin nicked!!)

Blueyonder m8

Spot on connection speeds (what they advertise you get)
No Bandwidth limit (spit on BT)
Coax to end of street then out through Fibre(weeeeeee  no bottle neck)

In my case 60mtr of Coax from comp to Multiplexer at end of street, then 7 mile of Fibre to Knowsley Hubs twin satellite dishes. (Get out there :twisted: )
Know what you mean by Blueyonder.

They were my broadband/cable tv supplier when I lived in Maidstone until last year.

Good customer service (if and when the connection broke) and plenty of bandwidth - was on 2Mb for quite a while until moved house and found out there's no cable anywhere nearby.....!

Stuck with pesky 512k for now. It's OK, but a relative from Hong Kong is staying with us at present and he gets a 100Mb connection at home!!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Hopefully now Blueyonder is NTL Blueyonder (or when they finally sort it out next year), Telewest will show NTL how its done regarding customer service, I hear NTL has one of the worst customer service departments ever. Also with the addition of Virgin Mobile they have a top notch customer service team so this will again hopefully rub off on the combined strengths of all 3 businesses
Havoc
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

ROFL

Post by Havoc »

NTL is running the show not tele-west, and they bought the name of virgin...

Things can only get better  *wink*
UBT - Halifax-lad

Yes I know that :!:  The message says hopefully Telewest & Virgin will show NTL how to do customer service