Forum update and tweaks

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: Forum update and tweaks

Post by chriscambridge » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:50 pm

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:22 pm

Thanks Chris

Will see about tweaking the php code when the forum gets a bit quiet (as I'll need to close it down to edit/update the php file).

(I had found a couple of sources about the error but of course the "fixes" shown (elsewhere) did not relate directly to phpBB software !!).

regards
Tim

chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by chriscambridge » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:55 pm

I would try to avoid editing the code if possible and instead either try to update phpBB to 3.2.3, or if you can't do that because of existing plugins, just revert back to an earlier version of PHP via CPanel or Plesk. Probably either PHP 5.0 or 6.0 as they were pretty major versions.

If your hosting provider has pushed through PHP 7+ then I guess you won't have much choice.

Its not a major deal editing code as its just the initialisation of a single variable the file: /includes/functions_messenger.php. The only reason I would try and avoid that is because the next version of PHP could introduce even more than changes and then you will be back in the same situation!

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:33 am

Hi Chris

Thanks for the tips.

There are two issues anyways:

1) There is no subdirectory called "includes" under the php folder and hence I cannot find a "functions_messenger.php" file to actually edit.

2) The latest version of phpBB is v3.3.0 - and this is more "suitable" for use with php v7.x - and indeed my hosting provider wanted to charge me an annual fee for "support" if I wanted to keep php v5 or v6 on this server package...so I went with the v7.0 upgrade.

So, I might just leave it a bit for now and do an upgrade to the latest software and that should fix it...and there might be some other fixes for issues I've not come across yet. (I've seen the "new and improved" functions listing and some new bits will be worth having). :-)

regards
Tim