Recent spamming

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Recent spamming

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

It seems that despite my recent efforts, spammers are still accessing the forum and posting irrelevant stuff.

So, I've now changed the registration process and before spammers can post, their account must be manually activated by an admin.

We'll see if this helps to minimise any further spamming of the forum.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: Recent spamming

Post by Woodles »

You're not doing too bad Tim, I've been on some much worse sites before now.

Regards,

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:You're not doing too bad Tim, I've been on some much worse sites before now.

Regards,

Mark
Hi Mark

In general, I think we're doing OK. However, if phpBB software is going to keep going (in general) then they need to improve the "anti-spam bot" functionality to ensure that forums (fora??) can be kept free of any of stuff that they try and post.

What I think is strange is that whoever runs them, still thinks that they can earn money (by click-throughs?) or Google-ranking points by adding their crappy URL's onto innocent websites.

Still, my little change had caught me four more spammy accounts, (before they could do any harm) and which I've now added to the ban list, thank you very much ;-)

Hopefully, "real" people won't mind having to wait a few hours, before their accounts are activated.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Now here's a strange one.

Having now got spammers under control (accessing the forum), I now find I'm being sent SPAM via the forum "Contact us" link !!

The subject titles of some of the emails are the giveaways:

"A, found; police, compulsory mono- phosphoryl ase."

"The paraproteinaemia semi-permeable sum ferti lity regional, equivocal."

Both of the above, rather interestingly, link to a website that sells blue pills to/for men :-)

I guess I should block their IP address too !!

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Looks like the SAME spammer is still using the "Contact us" forum function....as the email contains his IP address. This time the email subject is:

"There newness strips executive organ prescrip tion?"

Maybe I should switch the "Contact us" function off, if I can?

UPDATE: I've switched this off for now...if anyone wants to contact me, do so via the usual email address.

(Please do NOT use the Messaging function on any BOINC project websites as I don't receive notifications when said messages are received so I won't know if you have sent a msg).

regards
Tim