Anyone still run this?

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
UBT - Simon

Anyone still run this?

Post by UBT - Simon »

Hey guys, was wondering is it still not advisable to run this with other projects as well? I'm pondering over re-starting this project but if it means disabling other projects then i won't.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Runs fine here with all my other projects

PS: Your sig stretches the forum :roll:  :lol:
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

heh my sig always does something to the forum :P
UBT - Halifax-lad

I had to switch a column off to get mine to fit in nicely I chose to take off the rankings to stop the forum stretching.

Edit: Back to CPDN it should be fine for you to run it with any other projects
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

The only issue you may have is if the project gets less resource share than needed to finish within the deadline (i.e., boinc goes into panic mode).  How much resource share you need depends on the speed of the PC, since the deadlines are generous.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Also as I found out the other day some of the BBC models are on CPDN now so be prepared for extra large WU's

PS: the credit is counted towards CPDN
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

Got a wu thats finish time is 186days (ish) hopefuly it'll start soon.
Darren

Post by Darren »

I am still running it one one PC at school
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

Heh. Now i remember why i stopped crunching for Climateprediction/BBC 7:45hrs of crunching and only done 0.131% :!: and boinc is in earliest deadline first, so if this keeps going i'm not crunching nuttin until this is done.
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

I'm still crunching it. Getting about 140 credits a day. Some days, 250ish.

I have set cache to 0.2 days. Gives CPDN a good crack and lets other projects in without too much earliest deadline stuff, CPDN is set to about 3 times other projects share. (also runs on only 2 out of 3 virtual processors).

Working well with at least 10 other projects.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Increase your resource share and that should eventually bring it out of EDF
UBT - Halifax-lad

It would be nice to see a few more people running this project, help us to compete with the big 3 in the UK rankings

Semmy

Post by Semmy »

I've only just found out how to transfer over by old CPDN stats from the pre BOINC days, hopefuly will be on my next update and should be a decent amount I was in 3031st (although I was in the top 2,000 when I quit) place in the world on it :)
Last edited by Semmy on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Semmy wrote:I've only just found out how to transfer over by old CPDN stats from the pre BOINC days, hopefuly will be on my next update and should be a decent amount I was in 3031st place in the world on it :)
Depends if they count to the BOINC total it may just show in your profile over there, don't know if its converted to BOINC points or not
UBT - Janea

How does the credit system work?

Post by UBT - Janea »

Can someone tell me how this works?  When I ran the BBC models I got some credits through every now and then,  Since running CPN the only time I got credits was when I uploaded a crashed unit after it had been running for a total of several days worth of hours.  I had another one which had been runningn for many hours and crashed and I didn't get any credits at all.  

As they are typically 3000+ hours long (although the one on my new PC is only 1700) do we get trickle credits and if so is it after a certain number of hours or a certain percentage finished?  I don't want to tie up my PC's if I'm not getting any credit for them.  

My husband gets credit every single day - although he is running it on a number of machines.  I think I've only had credit once in over a year.
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

When you get credit depends on which climate model it is, and how fast your PC is.  

For example, the 160-year 'coupled' climate model takes about 12 hours on my PC per year.  At the end of the 'year' a trickle is sent up to the servers.  Every night a job is run to convert trickles to credits.

A slower PC or one which crashes workunits will take longer.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: How does the credit system work?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Janea wrote:Can someone tell me how this works?  When I ran the BBC models I got some credits through every now and then,  Since running CPN the only time I got credits was when I uploaded a crashed unit after it had been running for a total of several days worth of hours.  I had another one which had been runningn for many hours and crashed and I didn't get any credits at all.  

As they are typically 3000+ hours long (although the one on my new PC is only 1700) do we get trickle credits and if so is it after a certain number of hours or a certain percentage finished?  I don't want to tie up my PC's if I'm not getting any credit for them.  

My husband gets credit every single day - although he is running it on a number of machines.  I think I've only had credit once in over a year.
Hi Jane,

CPDN works like most other projects, except that the WUs take much longer to finish although the deadline is also very long.

There are "trickles" for each CPDN WU, which are essentially like "checkpoints" - IIRC, CPDN has 48 per WU and you will receive a credit for each trickle returned successfully.

The downside to CPDN is that the completed work is only good to the project if the entire 48 trickles are all returned...

And you only need a PC to crash at some point and the entire WU will need to be downloaded by someone else.

So, in absolute terms, you need a very "stable" PC, with not much else going on, to help ensure that every trickle is returned and the PC doesn't crash.

The credits you get from CPDN are quite high, but you may only complete one trickle per day or even one per week or per month...depending on CPU speed of course and resource share given.

It is a good project to get involved with, but for some reason they are more prone to crashes....maybe coz the actual computing effort required is pretty intensive....so, not a good idea to run CPDN on a laptop with poor heat dissipation then !!

Hope this helps

regards,

Tim

PS Did you get your VTU problem sorted?