CPDN

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

CPDN

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

Hi,

Is there a secret incantation one needs to do CPDN? I enabled it at new year and left it calling for work but I have got nothing. The server status says everything is running and there are tasks ready to send. I have a 3 day cache and I've set the priority to 100. The only other thing I have running is TNGrid at priority 0 but still no CPDN. I have reset the project, removed it and added it but still nothing. I don't know what else to try.

Any ideas?

Chris.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: CPDN

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris

I don't think there's any special "extra" downloads required (such as V. Studio, which some projects need) in order for your Windows host(s)* to get crunching...though I do seem to recall that CPDN allowed you to choose specific sub-project tasks...but I just logged in and I can't see that in the "cpdn preferences" part of my account. :-(

But there is only one sub-project now with tasks: UK Met Office HadAM4 at N216 resolution, but the website says they only have less than 6,000 tasks ready to send...so maybe you just need to be patient?

I do recall that some sub-projects need a very long time to crunch each task - in some cases weeks !! So, a 3 day cache might need extending - so try 5+5 and see if that helps solve the issue? If not, try 10+10...

regards
Tim

* Updated as Linux does need additional libraries - see Chris C's posting below
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

The problem is that at the moment CPDN only has work for Linux machines and I believe all your hosts are Windows?

A small cache is fine but you'll only get enough work for one task per core.

Also be aware that if you do get tasks, they take a VERY long time (months!) and require a lot of disc space.
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

Thanks, Mark. That makes more sense. It would be nice if the message in the log file mentioned that rather than just saying '0 tasks received'.

I'll leave it open in case the situation changes and just get on with TNGrid for now. I rather fancied having CPDN as a long background task that could be suspended for the duration of each of the FB sprints throughout the year.

Chris.