Team-TNT now number 1 on RAC

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
UBT - JohnR

Team-TNT now number 1 on RAC

Post by UBT - JohnR »

As I expected the joker who is the top cruncher for SAP has switched back to Team TNT.  He put himself down in Antartica in TNT then switched to US Air Force who were a very small team. He had left himself attached to Team TNT.net in WCG while the other members of TNT built up their RAC. Now he is back and we are in second place in RAC.  We are 600 behind, I'll empty my cache but it's not enough :cry:
However we will now pass Ars Technica any time now :D  :D  :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Oh Well,

Watch this Space  :cyclops:
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Bad news...  :(

But on the bright side - I have added two more P4-3Ghz to the mix.  Means I should add another 500RAC over nextg 30 days...

Not quite enough, but if we can get one more cruncher on the project, we can reclaim what is rightfully ours!!!   :twisted:
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Have you noticed the errors on the SAP site? If you look in Top Teams to see how we are doing we are still behind Ars Technica, but then re-sort on Total Credit and the amounts change, we are now 2000 credits ahead, re-sort back  to r a c and the numbers have also changed. It confused the hell out of me :oops:
I thought when we were 2000+ behind that we were soon to pass as I had just uploaded 2300 credits.

We are No. 3 on total credits congratulations all
 :occasion7:
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

I've been tracking it on BoincStats:

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/team_st ... r=sap&st=0

This happened last night!  Woohoo!!!

Good effort team - now to get ze germans!  :D
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

UBT - JohnR wrote:I thought when we were 2000+ behind that we were soon to pass as I had just uploaded 2300 credits.
...putting me back to 5th place in the team!!!   :evil:

LOL  :D
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I expect you to pass me again today, I'll try to make it hard for you though, just to help the team :wink:  Your 2 extra computers are too hard to keep up with.
I've finally got my old Athlon working with the faulty memory (Corsair XMS 2-5-5-5) but it only works in single channel mode, it has only crunched for 2 days now.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

This is the only ONE of the computers we are up against!!

http://www.team-tnt.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7542

:cry:
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Don't sweat it too much - I have a dual-opti running too, but on a much better motherboard - I use Tyan's myself!!!   :twisted:

On top of all the other additions, I just added another Athlon 3500+ / 1Gb to my list - I forced my Dad to accept me upgrading his CPU/RAM so it could run SAP for me!  LOL  :D  :D  :D

With these 3 extra machines, we should counter Lonewolfz additional RAC, fingers crossed.  If not, I'll upgrade my Athlon 4000+ to a dual-core 4800+ and see what that does...

Don't worry too much, I haven't spent much money recently on new kit (new car, new flat and a new phone, but no new computer hardware!!!   :wink: ), so there is always potential if some other team gets a bit cheaky!!!   8)
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

UBT - JohnR wrote:I expect you to pass me again today, I'll try to make it hard for you though, just to help the team :wink:  Your 2 extra computers are too hard to keep up with.
I've finally got my old Athlon working with the faulty memory (Corsair XMS 2-5-5-5) but it only works in single channel mode, it has only crunched for 2 days now.
Your teasing me you cheaky devil!!!   :twisted:

I had all my machines going full wack (my work laptop is on usually only 50% of the time), and together with my 2 new P4's, your still kicking my arse!   :shock:

It's all good for the team - top credit today of over 6k!!!  No other team is close to us on daily credit, thats for sure!  Just hope the project stays up long enough for #1 position!!!

Ca't wait for tomorrows results!  :D
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I'm just glad we are the top UK team, so any UK person will find UK Boinc first if they wish to join a team.
Then when we pass BOINC Synergy in about 10 days I'll resume the 2 BBC and the Climate WU that I suspended yesterday. They were on a very low resource share, I've had them for months and they average 15% completed.
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

In terms of total credit, we'll be #2 in the next 10 days (I guess).  Ze germans are history, and BOINC Synergy is a lot slower than us...  Can't wait to see how long we have to wait before passing them!

(NB - we're passing SETI Germany in 10 days, not Synergy.  They are still 200k ahead of us, so a fair amount fo crunching still to do for #1 spot).

As for RAC, once Lonewolfz's move has disappeared, we'll be #1 world-wide, let alone in the UK!

At the end of the day - we ain't doing bad!!!   :D
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

The heat must have put my brain to sleep,
:roll:
Seti Germany is the target - next weekend would be nice  :)  :D
Swissnic

How close is this!!! :shock:

Post by Swissnic »

What a fine mini-competition huh!   :wink:

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/compare ... 5B%5D=5002

Just checked Seasonal Attribution, and we're both on 19,008!!!  Bet you gonna dump you cache again and blow me out the water!!!  LOL

N.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Wish I had a cache of any kind, I have unhidden my computers like you.  And yes it was a fine competition.  I normally have my computers off-line and only upload once a day, but not for the last 2 days, so I could enjoy looking at John's stats site and see you closing in all the time.    :D
Not bad for 3 cpu's against 6 LOL
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

ooh - nice hardware you have!  8)

I got to get me some of those dual-cores methinks!!!   :wink:

my Athlons, Opterons and P4M are all running single core...  The 3.06's have hyperthreading, but only 512mb ram, so I thought 2 SAP WU's would totally kill them...

so it's 6 WU's vs. 5 WU's, and you have the GHZ advantage, so I think it's a fair fight, as the results have been proving!  :lol:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - JohnR wrote:so I could enjoy looking at John's stats site and see you closing in all the time.
I could maybe do a compare graph, similar to the boincstats one if it'd be any use to anyone
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

After I upgraded my original Athlon to the X2 4200+ I left the 1GB of memory in and tried 2 SAP wu's but it wasted time paging to the hard disk, and then crashing with the faulty memory. Upgrading to 2GB was a big improvement especially when swapping the SAP, BBC and Climate applications on the machine.

Thanks for the offer Temujin, I found it enjoyable to click on Nic’s and my SAP totals and then look at the 2 daily, weekly and monthly graphs side by side.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

For the moment Lonewolf is finishing wu's and switching to other projects, which is 1 reason we are now No1 on RAC. The other is the race between our top 2 crunchers.
Congratulations to Swissnic, as you are now swapping 4th place in the world on rac with gregoryw back and forth.
Any guess on the time to pass SETI.Germany into second place ? :P
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

I'm trying to ensure that I get every last spare CPU second out of my machines. I'm stopping unnecessary processes, and investigating a service that running inside one of my svchosts that is occasionally sticking at 100% (It seems to steal about 40 minutes of CPU time a day at the moment.). It it also leaking memory to the tune of about 50MB a day.
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Gregory - don't worrk too much - term is starting again, so I'm loosing 2 machines that were crunching in the office...  With only 512Mb, they could only crunch if nooone was using them - so during summer holds, they were available.  So back to 4 machines for me...  :cry:

On the upside - I am in the process of upgrading my home server...  from Opteron 242's (1.6Ghz) to Opteron 250's (2.4Ghz).  Unforunately, my server mobo can't handle dual-cores...  But my workstation can... hmmmm....  :twisted:
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

With ref to prices
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... spx?i=2802
I would expect UK prices to also drop.  Also the hard-core gamers will be upgrading to Intel, fast AMD X2 processors are on sale on ebay more than ever before as people try to clear stock at the old price, just time it right  :wink:
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

ooooooohhhhhhh - that X2 5000+ @ $300 will be mighty tempting!!!
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

John - looks like your free to move back to your other projects now!  :cry:  

Thanks for your help - and if you get bored doing those other tedious projects, come back and help us, as we have a long long way to go to #1!

But we will get there...   :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I'll not stop fully, still have 6 wu's to complete, just reduce the resource share. He He I've just noticed in top participants that we are no. 4,5 and 8, and my top computer is at no. 5. Not bad and it was off 3 nights last week with the heat. :oops:
Congratulations on catching Gregory. I just wish we could get Andrew Hingston to join the team ( if you're reading this Andrew) hint hint as Boinc Synergy are a long way ahead on points.
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

Huh? Have I missed something? SwissNic hasn't caught me yet! There's still a 101,808 credit gap between us.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I thought the original challenge was to catch you on RAC.  My mistake,  :oops:
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

No, the challenge was to catch me in credits. Catching in RAC is a much easier challenge.

Speaking on RAC, have you noticed that Team-TNT's has dropped off, and that we're #1 in RAC again. They seem to be losing steam:

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/compare ... %5B%5D=322
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Gregory - not sure even RAC is achievable at the moment...  :cry:

I lost my 2 P4/3Ghz back to the office, and my dad's 3500+ is only on half the week, which leaves me with my original 3 computers... which isn't quite enough!!!  :roll:

Watch this space though...  I have a plan...  :twisted:
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

See my post on the 28th. Lonewolf posted on the Team-TNT site that he was moving to another project as the wu's completed, but would be back to keep the team in the top 10 on credits. Me is also dropping down - last contact 25th July. 2 of the top 4 computers (270 type 4 core Opterons) that Lonewolf showed building on the team forum, have also dropped down.
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

TNT are quite far behind us though - so I don't think they are a threat, especially as Lonewolf is wandering from team to team etc...

I'm more interested in how to make up the 236k credit to first place...  That's nearly doubling our current score!!!  :shock:

I have set aside about £1000 to buy some new hardware - just trying to work out what to buy for the most bang per buck... :?:
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Lonewolf only changed teams as a joke to jump his team up the leaderboard when he switched back.  He is a dedicated Team-TNT member with over 3400 posts on their forums :roll:

http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_user_ ... 5dc2c4373e
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

SwissNic - If the £1000 is dedicated to BOINC hardware (which I'm sure it isn't, afterall there is life beyond BOINC.) then I think it would be better invested in a couple of £500 machines, rather than one £1000 one.
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Ummm...  :evil4:   I'm sure I'll find some other uses for it as well...  :wink:

Hopefully, I will pick up 3x dual-Xeon 2.2ghz to 2.8ghz machines with 2Gb ram each for that cash...

I just picked up my first machine (for firewall / Proxy / MS Exchange) - A Dell Dual P3-600Mhz with 2Gb RAM, and 4x 18Gb U160 SCSI drives on a PERC 3/si Raid controller plus 20/40Gb DDS4 Dat Drive (for £125.00   :shock: ).  There are some serious bargins to be had out there at the moment - lots of companies doing tech-refreshes, and these disposal companies that take they're old hardware away have huge warehouses full of stock!!!

What I need to get first of all is a 19" Rack, otherwise I'm not going to have anywhere to put this stuff...  :D  :D
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

:blob2:  :blob3:  :blob4:  :blob5:  :blob7:  :blob8:

Woohoo - won the rack!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... IBSA:UK:11

Now to fill it up!   :D  :D  :D
Havoc
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Havoc »

Dam if only I didn't out bid myself each time, I could of added it all to together and won... :)

Its just so additive...

User ID: Bid Amount   Date of bid  

swissnic( 150)  £104.99 31-Jul-06 19:44:53 BST  
halrawi( 310)  £102.99 31-Jul-06 19:44:48 BST          <---- Me
philbellwood( 32)  £80.00 31-Jul-06 19:25:51 BST            <---- Me
halrawi( 310)  £79.99 31-Jul-06 19:21:24 BST            <---- Me
philbellwood( 32)  £70.00 31-Jul-06 19:25:38 BST            <---- Me
affordit( 35)  £60.00 31-Jul-06 19:14:11 BST            <---- Me
philbellwood( 32)  £50.00 30-Jul-06 19:18:43 BST            <---- Me
affordit( 35)  £50.00 31-Jul-06 19:14:02 BST            <---- Me
themanorhouse( 142)  £38.00 31-Jul-06 18:09:42 BST            <---- Me
marcusdavies( 6 )  £35.01 30-Jul-06 19:24:37 BST            <---- Me
marcusdavies( 6 )  £25.00 30-Jul-06 17:20:01 BST            <---- Me
renegill( 50)  £15.71 28-Jul-06 20:58:18 BST            <---- Me
swissnic( 150)  £11.00 28-Jul-06 11:35:44 BST  
h4veh( 27)  £1.00 28-Jul-06 11:34:59 BST
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

LOL  :D

I'm not telling you the Quad Xeon MP I'm going after next then...   :lol:
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

The two items I bid for over the last two days I got without anyone else making a bid.

A good ups - Fed up of all the power cuts and even though it should last upto 30 mins depending on the load, it may save a fried hard drive and will allow me to power down my pc.

and sad as it is but a proper black light for my PC.

Which is designed for a car (see pic)

So I might get a tan whilst surfing.... :(

When I get it I'll take another pic to show you what it looks like... :P
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

SwissNic - Well done. Now you've just got to fill it with crunching capacity.
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

UPS is a good investment - I run a small one on my main w/s, but not on the servers...  But I do have 2 x 20/40Gb DAT drives in 2 machines, and a 6 DAT Tape library in the file server + RAID1 or RAID10 on ALL disk subsystems...  So it will take a lot to kill my machines now...  (this was learned after some bad disk-failure experiences!!! :cry: )

Once I've filled up the rack (which isn't going to be long the way I'm bidding at the moment - your right - it is addctive!!!  :wink: ), I think I will have to get a rack-mount UPS just in case...

Like the black-light!  8)   I have a crappy blue LED one in my case - doesnt look too bad though...  :?
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

For £19.99 + 9.99 P&P I thought it was very reasonable

Technical Specifications
UPS 400 VA rated power capacity
Up to 30 minutes back-up time (depending on load)
2 secure outputs with surge protection
1 surge only output for connecting to conductive load
Filter to protect telephone, fax or modem with RJ-11 connector
AVR function to compensate fluctuations in mains voltage
Line-interactive design, processor actuated
Normal operating voltage 170 - 280 volts, lower will activate the battery powered mode
150 Joule Spike protection
Clear optical and acoustic indicators for power source and low battery
Fast back up response time: less than 6 msec
EMI / RFI noise filtering
Product size ( H x W x D in mm): 147 x 105 x 338
Connected equipment warranty conditions available in package and on www.trust.com

From

http://www.digitalkingdom.co.uk But sold on Ebay
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

My servers and network equipment are all on UPS. It's only my workstation that isn't.

Importantly for your backup, do you take tapes offsite? It's important, as was confirmed at my previous employer. The head office burnt down. And, yes, we had the tape offsite. Upon delivery of the new servers and workstations, switches, etc. we had the replacement office up and running again in about 19 hours (by working through the night.).
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Nah - I don't do off-site...  but all this kit is just my home play-area, not work critical.  If my house burns down - I'm not sure I'd be too worried about the servers... LOL  

I'm a technical architect for Fujitsu, so I use my home setup for system architecture experimentation - hence it gets rebuilt all the time anyway.  Wouldn't take me long to recreate my environment...  It's more just to protect against catastrophic system failure.   :shock:

Actually, I would guess I would have my laptop with me if i'm away from home, and therefore I would have a copy of my personal data.
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

technical architect for Fujitsu?

Whats that :?:
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

LOL - thought we were all techie's here...  :lol:  I design corporate IT infrastructure...
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

I'm not a techie...

I'm an ENGINEER !

I fix the bit in the middle that allows your end products to do their work...