Help/advice please

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
Grinning Grunny

Help/advice please

Post by Grinning Grunny »

Situation:
I suspended my CPDN project on my PC for the Riesel Seive crunch. Went to Riesel Seive to get some wu, the site asked to download Boinc 5.10.30 which was an upgrade from the previous version on this computer, so I said yes and it duly loaded deleting the old one. When it did this it also gave me a new identity (account no. and cross project id) so I now have two Boinc setups, identical names and passwords. With Timby's ( TY Timby) help in the chatroom on Sunday             I have located the suspended CPDN project on my hard drive but can't figure out how to restart it, boinc manager is only showing the Riesel projects which will finish today. I would like to recover this because it is over 47% complete.

I have just attached the new boinc id to CPDN and now have another wu which I have suspended to complete riesel, no sign of previously suspended project. Also CPDN had given this machine another id as well but this is sorted with a merge.

In addition to this minor problem my fruit machine (imac) broke at the w/e which has two wu's running on it on the original boinc id, hopefully these will still be ok when it is repaired, but will need to be linked to whichever id I can keep going. I'm fairly sure it is only the power supply that has failed so hopefully the hard drive won't have been affected, if it has then this bit could be academic.  :(  :cry:

Chris
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

It sounds like there are now two separate installations of Boinc on your hard disk?  If you want to resume your original model, try to find the boincmgr.exe from the original installation and run it.  I'd suggest setting 'no more work' against all projects (assuming you have a single-core PC).

Once the climate model has finished, you can then start running the new installation rather than the old installation.

When you attached to CPDN the second time on your new installation, did you log in with your existing account details, or create a new account?  (Note that it is impossible to merge separate accounts at CPDN, and I think impossible at other projects as well).

The cross-project IDs should link the projects together as long as you've used the same email address for all projects, and they're all running within one boinc installation.
Grinning Grunny

Thanks for the reply Mike, I'm still wrestling with this. I have two accounts with Boinc, not on my computer, unfortunately the the upgrade seems to wiped out the old Boinc manager which was running the 47% completed model, so that I can no longer access that model with the new manager, although I can see the file in the CPDN folder in Programs on the C drive. When the new manager was loading I did see it was deleting the old manager files. I have started the new model rather than let the computer idle away, I have set it to receive no more work at the moment with it being single core. The previous manager had also been set to no more, so the new one has completely over-ridden everything. I have noticed there are some errors from the model I'm trying to find on the results listings.

Chris
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

If you go to 'c:\program files\cpdn\' do you see any files, such as boinc.exe?
Grinning Grunny

Hi Mike, in C:\program files\cpdn i get a list of docs with XML, text, CFG and firefox doc. plus 2 folders, projects and slots. In projects I get cpdn, which gives me then 2 projects, hadsm3fub_036c_005930369 (which I think is complete) and hadsm3fub_e100_005903778 which is the one which is/was current, also a folder txf, plus zip folders, dos files, a XML for each project and a RGB file.I have been through each folder and sub folders looking for an exe file but can not see any. Boinc manager is in another folder under c\:program files. Going into this folder I can see Reisel Seive  and CPDN, then under CPDN I can see the new project which I have running at the moment, but I still see no exe file? Am I missing something or misunderstanding something?
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

My guess is that your PC's window settings are hiding the '.exe' file extension.

Try opening a command prompt (start / programs / accessories / command prompt), and then navigate to the cpdn directory (type 'cd \program files\cpdn').  List the contents of the folder (type 'dir').  If you see 'boincmgr.exe' then you can type in 'boincmgr' (but close down the boinc manager first).