New beta-test project

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

New beta-test project

Post by MikeMarsUK »

The new URL for CPDNbeta is : http://cpdnbeta.oerc.ox.ac.uk/index.php.  Account creation is allowed (i.e., no invite codes are required).

The project is now giving credit (it wasn't earlier).  The intention with this is to merge it into the main project credit in the same way as the old beta, although this hasn't been done yet.

Also note that it is a de novo project, so accounts / credit / posts / teams will not be migrated.  I don't think UBT exists there yet, so one of you will need to create it (I'm certainly not going to! :-) :-)).  The original beta is still at its old URL, and the original beta's credit is already merged with your CPDN accounts provided the CPID matches.

Recommended only for people who have a lot of experience running climate models, and are prepared to accept the rough with the smooth (it is a beta project after all).  Bug reports should be as detailed as possible (screenshots, message logs, etc), and you shouldn't be reluctant to abort models if a newer version comes along, regardless of how many hundreds or thousands of hours you've already spent processing it.

But there is a very interesting climate model available there - V1.03 of HadSM3MH (mid-Holocene).
The aim of this study is to place a paleo-constraint on climate sensitivity in the climateprediction.net ensemble. Sensitivity is here defined as the equilibrium temperature response to doubling of pre-industrial carbon dioxide concentrations. Some of the climateprediction.net models have shown a large sensitivity and by applying models to past climates, we are testing if the models and their corresponding sensitivity are realistic. The general circulation model results are compared to paleo-observations. We are aiming to provide a framework for the evaluation of the climate models to see if they are able to simulate climates that were different from today. This will improve our confidence in the models projections for future climates.

The period of focus is the mid-Holocene, i.e. ~6000 years before present (6kyBP). Why use the mid-Holocene climate to benchmark our models? The current climate is not in equilibrium. It is changing. The previous period in time with a stable climate was the mid-Holocene, when the climate was stable for a period of about 2000 years and the forcing on the climate is well known. The 6kyBP climate is reasonably well known through paleo- observations.

The model used is HadSM3, a state-of-the-art climate model from the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research Atmospheric General Circulation Model coupled to a slab ocean. Mid-Holocene boundary conditions are applied to the model, i.e. the orbital configuration is altered to represent that of 6000 years ago. This redistributes the latitudinal and seasonal distribution of incoming solar radiation at the top of the atmosphere in the model. The model you download consists of 4 different phases, each of 15 model years
  • *Calibration phase
    *Control phase
    *Mid-Holocene phase with altered boundary conditions
    *A phase with a doubling of the pre-industrial CO2-levels to find the sensitivity
The difference in the model results between the mid-Holocene and control models are then compared to the paleo-observations available. A range of paleo-observations are used to test the models; pollen data, lake level data from lake sediment cores, macro fossil data and temperature data deduced from foraminifera, molluscs, diatoms, driftwood, whale fossils and whale bones.

The main researchers on this project are Helene Muri, Myles Allen, Hiro Yamazaki based at the Atmospheric, Oceanic and Planetary Physics department, Gideon Henderson at the Department of Earth Sciences at the University of Oxford and Paul Valdes at the School of Geographical Sciences at the University of Bristol. This work is funded by a UK Natural Environment Research Council studentship and Det Kongelige Selskap Norges Vel.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Re: New beta-test project

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

MikeMarsUK wrote:I don't think UBT exists there yet, so one of you will need to create it (I'm certainly not going to! :-) :-)).
Maybe you should and then defect to our team :twisted:

Thanks for the headsup on the project
UBT - Halifax-lad

Hmm, am I been blind can't see a way of creating the team
Darren

Post by Darren »

Well, I've joined.
I can't see where to create a Team so I "became creative".
Team has now been created :wink:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Darren wrote:Well, I've joined.
I can't see where to create a Team so I "became creative".
Team has now been created :wink:
Now joined team