CPDN without internet?

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
Rockinfroggi

CPDN without internet?

Post by Rockinfroggi »

As I'm due to be called in to complete my MOT any time soon I was planning to take one of my laptops in with me which has my last surviving CPDN WU.

Can anyone tell me, if I'm unable to pick up a WIFI hot spot from my room will the WU happily crunch and then upload the trickles as and when I'm able to connect again or will the fact that it can't connect cause it to abort?

As I have no idea how long I will be in for (last time was 6 months) I'm worried it will not complete by the deadline of December.

Gary.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

As far as I'm aware Gary you should be ok.

Terry
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

When I did a SAP WU earlier this year, my ISP very kindly cut me off for 3 weeks but all the trickles uploaded just fine when I was reconnected. I don't think you'll have a problem.

Chris.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Thanks Terry and Chris, unless anyone says any different then I'll keep it running then.

Gary.
Alan Pull

Post by Alan Pull »

It will  run with no problem - I used to last for weeks without a connection when I was boating in France, then when I found a wireless hotspot - whoopee - loads of credits.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Alan Pull wrote:It will  run with no problem - I used to last for weeks without a connection when I was boating in France, then when I found a wireless hotspot - whoopee - loads of credits.
Thanks Alan, at least I'll be able to crunch something then, and as UBT-mark3346 pointed out (my tiny brain missed the obvious) I can always pop out on the street with my laptop on the odd days I'm well enough and find a hotspot.

Just need to find the battery as this laptop has only ever run from a mains connection.

Gary.
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

The official advice is to try to connect at least once every 6 weeks to make sure that the model doesn't get reallocated by the server (not that I've ever seen one reallocated by the server...)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Thanks Alan, at least I'll be able to crunch something then, and as UBT-mark3346 pointed out (my tiny brain missed the obvious) I can always pop out on the street with my laptop on the odd days I'm well enough and find a hotspot.

Just need to find the battery as this laptop has only ever run from a mains connection.

Gary.
Hi Gary,

IIRC, CPDN "pushes" the CPU quite hard, so you may kind that there'll be some heat build-up on the laptop - I had one cruncher tell me some time ago that he quit BOINC (totally) coz he was running CPDN and the heat melted the plastic case...oh....and it was MY fault...!

So, give the cooling fan(s) a "blow out" with a vacuum (as well as make sure they work...) beforehand, to give the laptop a chance.

PS Was this WU crunching on another machine originally and you've copied it onto the laptop? If so, I'm not sure if the trickles you send back would be accepted, if they are coming from a different "host" compared to the one they've been issued to?

Maybe MikeMars knows if this is the case?

regards,

Tim
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

CPDN doesn't mind where the trickles come from as long as they're not duplicates (duplicate year trickles will be ignored).  Due to the length of the WU they move between hosts quite often.

I do have it running on one laptop, but I've raised the laptop off the desk slightly with the highly technical aid of a couple of pencils cellotaped to the table :-)

Someone once broke an oak table (the top split in two) due to the heat from a laptop running CPDN.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Thanks for the advice Tim and Mike, the CPDN WU has been crunching on the laptop I'm taking in for the last 6 months on and off so I'm hoping it will be fine.

I doubt it will be running 24/7 as obviously when I'm having surgery or scans I'll be locking it away rather than leaving it as a big tip for the cleaners :wink:

Admittedly here at home I have it sitting on a 2 fan cooler so I'm sure if I keep an eye on it it should be fine and the rooms are air conditioned which will help.

Good advice on giving a quick blow out Tim, I'll do that tonight.

Gary.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Managed to finish my first CPDN while in hospital on my laptop, taken about 10 months but I got there in the end.

Gary.
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

Many congratulations, well done :-)