Short + Long workunits on CPDN, new 'app selection' option

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Short + Long workunits on CPDN, new 'app selection' option

Post by MikeMarsUK »

A new science app has been made available on CPDN (or, rather, an old one).

This is the 'Slab' model (Had3SM), runs in about the same time as SAP, but uses a lot less memory (50MB or thereabouts).  Old timers will recognise this as the same model as was run in 2005.

This model is supporting 3 different experiments, one is Berlin University experimenting with the starting parameters in conjunction with a neural network, I don't know about the other two.

The normal coupled model (Had3CM) is still available.

You can select which one to download via project options.
Application Preferences
HADSM3 Not selected
HADCM3 Not selected
If I understand correctly, if both are turned off, or both are turned on, then it is random which will be delivered to your PC.  If one is turned off and the other is turned on, then the one that is turned on will be delivered to your PC.

I gather that the long-term intention is to provide all variations of the climate model via this mechanism (so one day you may be able to run a SAP model via the main CPDN site).  Whether this is how it ends up I don't know :-)
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

NEW MODEL TYPE NOW AVAILABLE AT CPDN!

The observant may have noticed that a new option is now available.  As well as selecting between HadSM3 (slab model) and HadCM3 (coupled model), you can now select the HadAM3 (atmosphere model).

The HadAM3 model was last used at CPDN/SAP, and is a high-resolution model which runs for a single model year.  It will require much more memory than the other models - peaking at 450MB each, so to run one you really need a machine with at least one gigabyte of ram, and to run two or four a 2GB PC would be best.

They take about the same amount of time as a HadSM3 model to run.  (I find that they run particularly well on P4D and Core2Duo machines).

To set the option, go to 'your account', 'CPDN preferences', and tick 'HadAM3'.  Currently only Linux and Win32 applications are available for HadAM3.

To find out how many HadAM3 models are in the queue:
http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnb ... status.php

To find out the version numbers and platforms for each type of model:
http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/apps.php