Credits Gained, But . . .

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
smith639

Credits Gained, But . . .

Post by smith639 »

Hi, I have been credited about 250 by CPDN, despite the fact that I have yet to crunc 1% of my first ever WU.
Is this normal, or have they sussed what an all round excellent guy I am, and modest to boot?

Ron
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Credits Gained, But . . .

Post by UBT - Timbo »

smith639 wrote:Hi, I have been credited about 250 by CPDN, despite the fact that I have yet to crunc 1% of my first ever WU.
Is this normal, or have they sussed what an all round excellent guy I am, and modest to boot?

Ron
Hi Ron,

It's quite normal.  :D

CPDN issues credits in phases, over the course of time while you are crunching. These are based on "timesteps" and if I recall, there's loads of timesteps per WU....you'll therefore receive loads of sets of credits (all of the same value as the initial amount).

see here: http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnb ... smaller.3F

....does that mean I won't get credit for ages?

....you will get credit for each Trickle and there are 72 Trickles in a Slab Model, 120 in a sulphur Cycle model and around 2000 in a Transient Coupled Model. So at worst you only have to wait for about 12 hours to trickle on a fast PC running sulphur. The stats updates are currently once per day.

regards

Tim
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Thanks.
A clear cut case of RTFM. Now I have done so things are a lot clearer.

Ron
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

The M which you're RTF-ing is a bit out of date (Sylvia, who updates the website, is on maternity leave), although the conclusion is similar.

The current model (coupled) has 160 trickles (one for each model year), i.e., 0.625%.  These trickles contain the climate data generated so far, so if a crash happens (say) 80% of the way through, it's not a big deal - the servers already have a lot of the information.

There is further information in the various README posts here:
http://www.climateprediction.net/board/ ... m.php?f=36