Milestone - 3 beeelllion on Collatz

Team milestones, Badges from projects, congratulations to members regarding personal achievements (such as User Of The Day project awards, or reaching specific targets). Also topics about GRC (Gridcoin) rewards.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Milestone - 3 beeelllion on Collatz

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

It's taken a while, as I started on Collatz on 16th October 2011, when I got my first CPU tasks on this project...and I soon realised that even with a fairly good quad core CPU, that the only way to make a significant contribution, was to acquire a GPU and then I'd be able to crunch with the "big boys"....although at the time, I could only afford a very modest GTX560 and this was used on both SETI@home and to a lesser extent Collatz, PrimeGrid, MilkyWay and Moo!.

Times moved on and I was able to get a GTX580 and put that in a second host. Another GTX580 followed and that was when I really started motoring (and burning out PSUs) as I had both GTX580s in the same PC...and they got very, very warm. :o

After a while, the 5x0 Series were retired and I got 2x GTX970s which improved my stats. A new host was added, and this was the recipient of a 3rd 970 which was added courtesy of Mark (and who has also helped me to fend off Megacruncher from overtaking me in the UK stats).

And in the last few days, a 2080Ti has been added (courtesy of Richard) which has drastically improved my Collatz crunching !!

As of 15:36 today, I had earned on Collatz a Total credit of: 3,000,016,294

So, a nice big milestone to achieve before the year end, and a big thank you to Mark and Richard for providing mega-assistance to the "cause".

I'm off now to have a nice beer ! :o and a bit of a :dance: :dance: :dance:

regards
Tim
damienh
UBT Contributor

Re: Milestone - 3 beeelllion on Collatz

Post by damienh »

Well done Tim!
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Congratulations Tim, onwards and upwards :)
damienh
UBT Contributor

Post by damienh »

... and rather kind of Richard! Those 2080 Tis are pretty ideal for Collatz.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

damienh wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:04 am ... and rather kind of Richard! Those 2080 Tis are pretty ideal for Collatz.
Incredibly so !! (And as long as you can tweak them to keep them running cool - but that's another story in itself !!)

It's not something that I was expecting and indeed, I feel quite embarrassed by even mentioning it - but great credit is due to Richard for his fabulous donation and hence why I felt it was worthy of mentioning.

(And apologies to Richard (and also to Mark) for any embarrassment this might cause them, but such generosity should be noted).

regards
Tim
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

Congrats! It's also lovely that there is real team spirit amongst some of the forum members - a gleam of light in these dark times...
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PennyQ wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:18 am Congrats! It's also lovely that there is real team spirit amongst some of the forum members - a gleam of light in these dark times...
Hi Penny

Thanks - and indeed some members have put themselves out, for the Team's greater good.

And I'm so glad that the active forum members do seem to have formed a bit of a clique, especially when it came to the Formula BOINC Sprints.

There's still no news as to whether the various Sprints (or even a Marathon) will take place in 2021, so if neither "happen" then maybe we can go back to our own "Crunchathons" and perhaps generate some competitiveness amongst ourselves.

We shall see, in due course, and hopefully bring a little bit of sunshine into members lives ;-)

regards
Tim